Greetings from Finland

Squatty

Hello to all from wintery Helsinki. I've been a member of IPMS Finland for almost two decades and I wanted to see how things are done in other countries, so I joined both IPMS USA and UK.

I've been building models since I was 7. Like so many others, I took a break from the hobby when I was studying at the university since I didn't really have a suitable room for model building. Or the time. But about 7 years ago I got my unfinished models and the tools from storage and started building again. Now I'm kind of a on/off modeller, basically just taking it easy and working with the models when I feel like it. Usually I manage to finish 2 to 4 models a year.

Mostly I build 1/72 military aircraft, Finnish Air Force being my special area on interest. My grand vision is to build a model of each aircraft and helicopter type that has ever served in the FAF. The exact count kinda depends, but my current list contains 139 aircraft. So far I've built 12 of them and have 59 kits waiting. So there's still a lot to be done... In addition that, I'm especially interest in post-war Swedish Air Force (especially SAAB fighters) and post-war US Navy aircraft.

But I'm in no way limiting myself when it comes to selecting models to build. I also build military vehicles from time to time, as well as airliners, cars, ships or anything else for that matter. Actually I'd like to build at least one model in every category I can think of.

In case someone is interested, here's a list of all the models I've built since 1998 with pictures:

http://www.pienoismallit.net/profiilit/1409/kuvat/

All the texts are unfortunately in Finnish.

Well, I think that's enough about me. I hope to learn something from you. And in case someone is interested in Finnish Air Force (or anything other related to Finland for that matter), I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Welcome Kalle! Always glad to have new people who can provide a broader viewpoint than we home based colonials possess! :smiley2: There's a few of us Americans (do NOT call me a Yank!) hoping to make it to Telford for the UK Nats in November. Perhaps we'll meet there! In the meantime, see ya on the forums!

GIL :smiley16:

Welcome Kalle! I love hear for other people around the world and how they go about building models. I'm a armor modeler :army7: myself. Funny that you have a interest in post war US NAvy aircraft. I have been around them for a long time. I'm a veteran of the US Navy having served on Aircraft carriers as a catapult chief :gray-plane: . ABE was my rating in the Navy, it stands for Aviation Boatswian Mate Equipmentman (Catapults & Arresting Gear). So ask away if you want. Again welcome aboad glad to have you. :Smile_sceptic:

Chris

Edited by 802chrisg

Thank you all.

I don't quite know what's so interesting about US Navy. There's just something inherently cool about naval aircraft and they have also been well represented in the popular culture (I remember watching JAG when I was a kid). And the fact FAF is using Hornets probably helps too.