BIG scale O-1 Bird Dog

ghodges

Got this from a member in our club. It's a 1/24 wood display model that had been damaged in a fire. The paint was bubbled and so darkened I thought it was an ARMY green plane! The prop was broken, the tail wheel was missing, and the underwing rockets gone. I volunteered to restore it for the owner who flew this plane in 'Nam.

I actually attacked this one with an orbital sander to take out the bubbles and smooth the surface. It still took 3 coats of primer and a lot of sanding to get it to this point. I scratchbuilt the tail wheel and the rocket tubes and repaired the prop.

003-10.jpg

002-12.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-10.jpg

The markings are as they were on the original, with the addition of "Cool Hand Luke" on the right cowl and the green rockets, as per request of the owner (whom I've yet to meet!). Anyway, it's done, and hopefully a fitting tribute to the vet who flew it! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Well done! She looks like a brand new desk model. It reminds me that I repaired a desk model for a client some years back. It was a large scale Cessna corporate jet. Broken in many pieces due to a bad moving experience. He really thought he never see it in one piece again. The model I repaired was a hard foam model sanded and painted to match the owner's paint scheme.

I just have to believe this looks better now than when it was new. Just goes to show that good modeling techniques can be applied across many media.