Has anyone used milliput?

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Being someone who is semi-obsessive with closing panel lines, I'm always on the hunt for a new sort of putty or sealer. I currently have a lack of material for larger, nastier cracks pre-painting. I picked up milliput from Hobby Lobby and am not terribly familiar with the stuff. Any tips? Is this stuff much like automotive bondo?

It's a simple two part putty. It comes in a couple of grades, fine, medium, etc. referring to the grain. Make sure you mix it thoroughly and keep your fingers wet. Not damp, wet. Best to wear surgical type gloves as well just to keep from having to wash your hands so much. Apply where you want it, shape as you desire. You can smooth it with a wet finger. When set, it sands nicely. Make sure you let it set completely or it will be gummy under the surface when you sand. If you use any tools, make sure you clean them before the stuff sets on them or you will have to grind it off.

You can get them at any home improvement store in the paint department. Usually around the stripping supplies. You don't need the acid resistant ones, just the simple latex gloves. Make sure you're not allergic to latex however.

• 2 months later...

I will testify to the excellent quality of Milliput. I used it to work with my P-6E Hawk biplane and the repair job I did on the F6F-5 Hellcat for a friend of mine. Best,

Mark