1/700 KGV

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Any recommendations are helpful. I take criticism better than compliments. I'm adding some figures (1/800 Eduard. They're actually a better match than the 1/700 offerings) to the ship, plus the remaining aerials. Hopefully, I get some rigging done tonight.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PetrolGator

ALL Photo Etch has been fitted to the ship. I can finally start to breathe a sigh of relief. I'm going to need to do some paint touch ups, install her two life boat davit stations, and rig the ship. Once that's done, I'll hit the hull with a dull coat and finish up the base. If all goes well, I'll have two days of work left!

KGV46.jpg

KGV47.jpg

KGV48.jpg

KGV49.jpg

Yes, she is crewed. :)

KGV51.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Well, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad. I finished up a decent stretched sprue rig up, and sought to improve lines running between the bridge and overhead cables with heat.

It melted the @$*$)$% rigging between the masts. Thankfully, more challenging parts of the rigging were left unmolested, but I'm going to have to do a large part of the rigging again tomorrow. I'm fairly pissed, but I guess it'll give me another run at making it better...or something.

Here's a picture of the before fire:

kgv53.jpg

Edited by PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

The ship itself is FINALLY done. I've just finished putting a dull coat on the hull.

Used in this build:
- Tamiya "Old-as-dirt" 1/700 King George V
- GMM Hatches
- Eduard figures
- Stretched Sprue (Jim's method. This is my first attempt with the stuff. Comments are really helpful.)
- Tom's PE set
- Bits of the WEM PE set (Acquired too late to use for replacement of items I wish I had)
- Artwox Wooden deck
- Vallejo washes and Tamiya paints
- Squadron scriber

Anyhow. The water base is made from an amalgam of about three different techniques and some of my own past experience with oil painting. My next base will be better. I want to use a layer of clear acrylic gel + artists spatula to better simulate the effects of waves.

Left:
- Flags (Again, Jim, I'm totally going to try your technique, and again, do 30% of what you can.)
- Touch up base and seal.

Comments are welcome, especially criticism. Actually, criticism is very much appreciated. Rip into it... only way I can get better.

Pictures:

DSCN0837.jpg

DSCN0840.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0845.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

Nice recovery on the rigging. From your pics, you captured the ship very well. The water base has a nice texture to it also.

Good luck in Baton Rouge. Let us know how you did.

Bill