1/700 KGV

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Well, I can't do much with the England until her new 20 mms and masking come in. Plus, it's been a disgusting humid mess, so air brushing the decks is sort of out of the question.

Oh, and I just hauled this week in new kits and photo etch, thanks to my 30th.

Anyway.

Up next is a ship that's always had a place in my heart. The KGV class was a result of the Washington Treaty, and the British desire to try to limit naval rifles to a pautry 14 inches. Commissioned in 1940, the KGV was wrought with problems, particularly with her quad 14 in turrets.

Anyway, the plan is to build her in her 1945 configuration, gun turrets turned out to port in mid salvo. I'm not 100% sure what the barrel sequence was for this class, given the odd turret layout so I'm guessing. She will be mounted on my second attempt at a water base.

This is an old kid, but but the most part, has excellent fit and finish. I'm stunned with the detail, considering she's a 1970's era mold. Still, I will be replacing her main battery and secondary with brass and using Tom's PE for mostly everything else. I'll also be using some hatches, doors, and ladders from my parts box to give the plan superstructure some much needed detail.

Oh, all superstructure and bits are simply dry fitted.

Anyway, preliminary pictures:

KGV1.jpg

KGV2.jpg

Edited by PetrolGator

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PetrolGator

Another reason I'm test fitting the WHOLE MODEL: I don't have instructions. Does anyone know where I can get them? I've used google, checked modelwarships, and 1999. I mainly need to know what colors her upper decks and main hull were.

In '45 the main hull was Admiralty MIddle Sea Grey. Upper decks were Admiralty Dark Sea Grey. There was also a band/patch over the armor belt amidships on the hull of Admiralty Dark Sea Grey. I did a KG V recently and found some decent, although not great, pictures via a Google Image Search. I also had access to a couple other pretty good reference books and a resident Brit ship guy in my local club.

Actually, for what she was designed for, the KG V was a decent ship. Short ranged, but then she was only suppose to operate in the North Sea. No A/C, but she was not intended for the tropics. Her guns were the match of anything out there and her protection was good. However, as you said, those quad turrets had problems in the beginning. Most were worked out in the Howe and Anson, but they were never free of glitches. The quad turrets saved the ship one whole turret, the weight of which along with all its incumbent machinery and added armor allowed her to meet the Washington Treaty limits.

Guest PetrolGator

I love how "dignified" a British BB looks in WWII. I just want to say that again. Anyway, progress has been made, but has been slow:

KVG3.jpg

I've added some detail to the lower forward superstructure using pictures and other models, mostly in the larger 1/350 scale. Hatches are from my Flyhawk Nagato set and look right. Just don't tell anyone they're Japanese.

KVG4.jpg

I've lightly inscribed the hull. I'm sanding it with a fine sander to just give the HINT of hull plates, mainly to allow a wash to seem into the gaps.

KGV1.jpg

Note the secondary with plastic barrels dry fitted. The turrets aren't very good. They're plain and the barrels sit so poorly that both point outward from center. I've started sanding the middle section of the turret to allow better fit. I'm still torn on using my brass barrels for this secondary or using them on a British light cruiser I have in resin. Note that I've begun constructing the cranes.

That's all for now. KGV has been a lot of filling, sanding, and inscribing. I'm still unsure of how I'll paint her verticals, but I'm leaning toward the paint job Ron mentioned.

Guest PetrolGator

I've made a bit of progress. I'll go picture by picture on what's been done.

KVG8.jpg

The hull has been fitted with a degaussing cable. I lifted this from my Nagato flyhawk set, as I chose to keep the molded piece on the model. I'm glad I did. Note the inscribing. I did an OK job for my first try at it, but I'm going to need more practice.

KVG5.jpg

Oh, where should I start on the secondary guns? This is an older kit with, generally, a good shape to the parts within reason. These guns, fortunately, RESEMBLE their real life counterparts, but miss a lot of the basic structure, like say, about 1/4 of the lower portion of the turret. Short of some major scratching, or ordering MORE parts, I'll just deal with what I have. I've used styrene, bits of extra PE, and brass barrels to improve the look of the guns. Any more and this would cease to be fun, in my mind.

KVG7.jpg

You can see the cable running down the armor belt in this picture. Note that both cranes are nearly complete. I tend to jump around a build a lot and do some work on the amidships, bow, stern, main hull, etc. It breaks up the monotony. I plan on having both cranes ready for paint tomorrow. Note the lower forward superstructure hatch. This entire portion of the ship will be reworked thanks to pictures and links sent to me by Arthur Macon.

KVG6.jpg

Top view of another dry fit. I'm still unsure if I'm leaving that one hanger door open. I'd kind of like to detail it out and see how it looks. I'll probably end up sealing it up, being that I'm going to show her firing off a broadside.

I'm off tomorrow, and beyond a trip to the gym, I have nothing going on. I'll probably try to work through a few secondary turrets and possibly put some detail on the superstructure. I have some Niko Model pom poms, GMM hatches/doors/cable reels/fire hoses coming from FreeTimeHobbies sometime this week. I also broke down and decided to buy the wooden deck.

That's all for now.

Guest PetrolGator

Well, progress has been made. I've completed 4/8 of her secondaries, and ALL of the barrels have been mounted in their plastic housings. I've also done some detail work on the superstructure, adding hatches where present in photographs. Again, everything is dry fitted.

KG10.jpg

I have some 1/700 deck hatches and fire hoses coming from freetime on Monday. These will be added where appropriate and then I'll start priming, assuming I finishing detailing and sub-assembly. Sadly, I have a business meeting in Houston THIS WEEKEND which will pretty much kill any modeling time between tomorrow and Monday. I hope to get this done before the New Orleans show just to display. I'm doubtful that will happen.

Additional pictures:

KG9.jpg

KG11.jpg

Edited by PetrolGator

One point to consider is that external degaussing cable you added was replaced with an internal coil in 1942. I don't know where you are right now in your build, but with that cable on there, you can't do her in 1945 configuration. That also effects the radars added/removed and the changes in her AA armament.

Unless you've added a bunch of radars that weren't there in 1941, I'd just do it as she was at the time of the Bismarck battles. Different paint scheme, of course, but better than trying to remove that cable that you did such a good job on.

Guest PetrolGator

Does anyone have blueprints and/or good pictures of her amidships in or around 1940? I get the feeling I'm in for a LOT of cutting to backdate her.

Guest PetrolGator

Well, shots from 1943 on show that the KGV deleted her catapult and added a TON of platforms and AA on her rear superstructure. The boats were placed where the catapult had previously been. Reproducing this would take MAJOR surgery on the kit. I'm either going to destroy about six bucks worth of PE and love, or simply ignore the fact it was removed in 1943. I don't know. I'm going to put some more work into her secondaries and AA.

BTW, Niko Model's 1/700 pom poms are INSANE. I'm ordering more for my Nelson, Rodney, and Hood builds.

Guest PetrolGator

I'm FINALLY done with her secondaries. I've also made some progress on her masts, though I'm going to do a bit of research on her radar before I really put a lot of effort into assembly. Still, dry fit, she's looking closer and closer to being done. I'm probably going to start on the wood base tomorrow when I get back from the gym. I really find myself loving this kit more and more. Tamiya's older kits like this are nothing short of amazing considering their age. The KGV herself is just an absolutely handsome lady as well.

KGV14.jpg

KGV15.jpg

IF you can find it, get your hands on a copy of the book "British Battleships of WWII, The Development and Technical History of the Royal Navy's Battleships" by John Raven and John Roberts. It has just about all you'll need about radar, AA fittings, refits, engines, etc, etc, etc. However, it's out of print and extremely expensive, even on Amazon. Try your local library, they sometimes have it on hand. If not, ask around your local club's ship guys to see if anyone's got a copy squirreled away. It's a great resource.

Guest PetrolGator

I'll look around but if a copy exists, I'll probably have to go to New Orleans to find it. Our local library is pretty good but doesn't stock items like this. Also, sadly, no one else in my local club really builds ships.

Thanks!

Guest PetrolGator

I shall title this post "RADAR Insanity"

I've completed the Type 285 units and placed the 277 on the foremast.

KGV18.jpg

As you can see, it's tiny. It took me damn near an hour just to get the FOUR of these built with any degree of care. I'm not looking forward to the 282s at all.

The Type 274 fire control radar is rather plain. I've tried improving the unit, based on pictures I found on the net. I also had to fill a number of sinks on the thing.

Some in progress pictures, adding what I think are her optic sights:

KGV17.jpg

Test mounted on the bridge:

KGV19.jpg

I'll build the radar dish tomorrow and keep researching the KGV's set up around 1944-45. I'm seriously considering buying that insanely expensive book. I know I'll use it. I figure I'll assemble any communication, radar, add any ladders, and then paint. I also need to start on the water base, which I may do this weekend, assuming I'm not in Houston on a damned business trip.

That's all for now.

Guest PetrolGator

Tiny update. I've been spending a lot of time trying to improve parts as best as I can in this scale. Additionally, my gym time is cutting into modeling, which isn't a bad thing. I'm down to a 35" waist, 225, and about 18% body fat. I'm shooting for my college 34" waist, 210, and 12-14% body fat. I'm still a month or two out before I think I'll get close to this.

Anyway:

KGV20.jpg

Range finder radar complete. It sucked to make this.

KVG21.jpg

Niko Models 4 barrel pom poms + some trumpeter bits I had laying around. Yep. I ordered the wrong pom poms. Awesome. WEM has some 8 barrels I'm trying to get a hold of. I'll use the four barrel examples, if necessary. Otherwise, I'll save 'em for the inevitable British destroyer or cruiser I build.

That's all for now. I have a few small bits to add and then TO PAINT!

Guest PetrolGator

The vertical surfaces have been painted. I started with a light grey and added some lighter coats (white added) to help soften some of the paint. After painting the stripe, I blended it into the hull a little with some grey. I'll "chip" it with a small brush later when I get to weathering the hull. What now will follow is a PAIN of masking to paint her decks then assembly of the superstructures. I have this feeling that I'll end up having to repaint the front of the forward superstructure due to seam lines in construction, which will suck.

Honestly? The photo etch is simply indispensable. I cannot imagine this ship without her aerials and radar. Some of the PE railing took some damage, but I should have enough to finish the ship.

Pictures:

KGV23.jpg

KGV22.jpg

I'm annoyed by the smudges, but I'll use them to base a good North Sea weathering pattern on.

KGV24.jpg

Note that the top of the boat deck remains unpainted. I'll hit it when the deck paint goes down.

That's all for now. I'll probably weather the main hull tonight. I just finished covering the ship in a Future layer.

Guest PetrolGator

Additional progress. The superstructure decks are being hand painted as air brushes is borderline impractical. I'll put another coat or two on the decks, then weather it a bit.

KGV25.jpg

KGV26.jpg

KGV27.jpg

KGV28.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

None, none at all. I keep hitting ebay off and on, but I think I may be out of luck for some time. I'm debating ordering some PE "detail up" and hacking up some styrene to improve the Tamiya guns. I WANTED to have this ready for Tigerfest in NOLA, but may put off showing it until the show in Baton Rouge.

Thanks for looking around, though. I appreciate it.

Edited by PetrolGator

Is it an optical illusion or is the aft mast about 15 degrees or so off plumb? Or maybe it's not even glued in place yet?

Guest PetrolGator

Nothing has been glued down. I won't glue the superstructure until JUST before I begin final assembly. I still need to make the water base (and decide on HOW I'll do that this time) and do a little bit of shading on the superstructure.

I knocked together the ship just to see how it's all fitting together and help see a finish line. :smiley1:

If you go for the 41 Bismarck period you can skip some pom poms.

"The King George V-class design had four 0.5-inch quadruple machine gun mounts, but in 1939 these were replaced by two Mark VI pom-pom mounts. In 1940, to combat air attack, four Unrotated Projectile mountings were fitted, one on "B" turret, two on "Y" turret, and one replaced a pom-pom mount added in 1939 at the stern."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_V-class_battleship_(1939)

And this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrotated_Projectile

Also see http://ontheslipway.com/?p=1258

"HMS King George V
1940 4 x Mk VI*
1941 5 x Mk VI*, 1 x Mk VII* (Y-turret)"