350 Konig

sumterIII

Guest PetrolGator

OOo... Arthur, if you build this, you're in for the long haul. I suggest getting the barrels as the kit offerings are pretty much garbage. There's a build log on the modelwarships board of a guy dealing with these problems, as is. I'd also suggest a rebuilt of the masts with brass, if you have the patience. I started working on this ship a while back and gave up, lacking the barrels and wood. It's not a BAD kit, just old. The wood is a must, though. It's good you have it.

I have the WEM and Tom's set with Master guns so far. Thought of getting Artwox deck, but here is the real question. WEM had davits for the torpedo nets, I think over 90 of the little buggers, should I install the deck prior to the davits or not?

It all comes down to how far the deck extends to the edge. (see picture)

I tend to buy stuff as I can and then after I have all my parts build. That's why I have more parts and kits then stuff on the bench. ha

I also seem to build stuff others shy away from, but I blame that on the loss of brain cells after sniffing glue and paint for 50 years.

Guest PetrolGator

I'd install the deck prior to any small PE parts like that. I've had the unfortunate experience of trying to glue down a wood deck and knock EVERY bit of intricately folded PE go flying and/or break. I don't have this (insane) PE set (though, I wish I did) but the deck should allow clearance. I'd buy and test fit, of course.

hum I'm thinking your right, just concerned over the clearance of deck to edge and super glue migration on the wood deck surface. Maybe nail bitting for no reason but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks

Guest PetrolGator

Clearance should not be an issue in this scale.

Honestly? Hit your ship with a dull coat. That'll take care of any superglue gloss issues.

• 7 months later...
Guest PetrolGator

Arthur,

I'm looking at outfitting my Markgraf with WEM's PE set and the artwox deck. For my barrels, the B&D option seems correct, but at $32 seems pretty damn steep. Any recommendations? I want to build her @ Jutland.

Chris

Look on ebay for the main guns, I bought mine from a guy there a couple of times, they are very good and shipping is fast. If you want the secondary 88's you can find those at Freetime. I think I paid $8.00 for the main guns w/o shipping, which was not that much. When they come you will need to sign for them or go to the PO and pick them up. I went with the WEM set and Tom's PE. Tom's set have precut rails which I like. The WEM set is also very good and if you mess up the Tom's rail WEM gives you some spares. GMM also has a set that has some vents, along with other small parts that are not included in the Tom's or WEM sets. I bought all my paint from Freetime after looking hard at the correct colors on MWS Konig thread. If you like I will send you the paint I selected to save you some time.

As a side note I bought the WEM set for the torpedo net davits, but you will not need those for your Jutland build. You may be better off skipping the WEM and go for Tom's and GMM to save some money.

As to super glue migration, I used the Artwox deck for my 1915 Warspite and the super glue from the railings did not soak into the wood. Could be the sealer they put over the stain keeps it out. Of course, that was in 1/700, maybe that won't apply in 1/350, but they do seal their decks.

Guest PetrolGator

Cool. I found that the Artwox deck is not only cheaper, but perfect for the Markgraf, which is the Konig I have.

I've got an auction going right now that's exceeding my expectations. I'm thinking I may use some of that to start work on my Markgraf. I'd love to build my Missouri or Bismarck, but I have NO room to display something that big.

Chris
Look on ebay for the main guns, I bought mine from a guy there a couple of times, they are very good and shipping is fast. If you want the secondary 88's you can find those at Freetime. I think I paid $8.00 for the main guns w/o shipping, which was not that much. When they come you will need to sign for them or go to the PO and pick them up. I went with the WEM set and Tom's PE. Tom's set have precut rails which I like. The WEM set is also very good and if you mess up the Tom's rail WEM gives you some spares. GMM also has a set that has some vents, along with other small parts that are not included in the Tom's or WEM sets. I bought all my paint from Freetime after looking hard at the correct colors on MWS Konig thread. If you like I will send you the paint I selected to save you some time.
As a side note I bought the WEM set for the torpedo net davits, but you will not need those for your Jutland build. You may be better off skipping the WEM and go for Tom's and GMM to save some money.

We had a great discussion on MWS site about the coal scuttles. You may want to look at that if you have not already.

Are you going to use an Iraqi coal barge with the WEM set for the WMDs? :)

Guest PetrolGator

Sadly, the Iraqi Coal barge will be released in the much larger 1/200 scale and STILL without an accurate hull. I dunno if I want to have it overshadow the poor Markgraf that badly.