Elefant

tbow33

post-1572-0-67486400-1359579501_thumb.jpgI started this about 8 mo ago worked on it on and off, but now that I'm retired I got working on it more.

If anyone has suggestions on how to apply mud and dirt I would be very appreciative as I am a beginner. I will post more pics as I progress.

The safest way I know to apply "mud" is to use, well, mud. Go outside and collect about a cup of regular dirt. Try not to get a lot of organic matter, just the dirt. Either spread it out on a paper towel and let it completely dry out a few days or put it on a baking sheet and pop it in a low oven for a while. Check back every 15-20 minutes to see how it's doing.

When its dry, put it in a metal or ceramic bowl and using a blunt ended instrument, grind it like in a mortar and pestle. When you've got it pretty fine, run it through a tea strainer to get out the pebbles and larger chunks. Now run what's remaining through a piece of fine mesh. How fine depends on your scale. What you wind up with is dust. I suppose, if you've got a supply of dust outside, start with that and skip right to the screening.

I then mix it with a little water and some white glue to help it adhere. If you're nervous about that, leave out the white glue. That way if you don't like it when it dries, you can just wash it off. Add water until you get a watery paste mixture then glob it on where you want it. Note that even what looks like water when you're applying it, will dry like a thin coating of mud.

Now, if you want 'wet' mud, you can tint the mixture with a dark brown water based paint and also add Future to the mix. The dark brown is obviously for color and the Future is for the glossy wet look. I'd advise trying the dry look before doing this just to see how it all works.

I know there are lots of ways to do this, but I find this looks pretty real and the base material is free.

First coat of mud? If so, no clear coat needed. Just slather on more if you need it. Don't be afraid to let it clump up. It will take longer to dry, but it will dry and look liked, well, clumped mud.