It's days like this....

Mark Deliduka

...that I really want to just shoot myself in the head!

I was trying to hang my Mi-26 Halo on the ceiling and while I was trying to adjust it, I heard and sensed something heavy hitting the floor. I was puzzled since I hadn't brushed against anything (surprisingly enough!)

Anyway, I looked down and saw this:

ABadDay_I.JPG

Man I wanted to scream, blast holes in my walls and shoot myself in the head! I don't know exactly what I said, but I'm sure I used every profane word in the English language... and maybe some words in other languages!

I went ahead and continued my efforts to hang my Halo up and finally it was sitting at the level and position I wanted it:

ABadDay_II.JPG

After finally getting the Halo hung up properly (and to allow myself to calm down a bit...), I took a look at the Cub. I was extremely surprised that the only thing broken on it was the fuselage that you saw. The propellers were scattered of course, since I hadn't glued them in (makes it easier to transport this without breaking the propeller blades off), but the landing gear, gear doors, and tail guns were all intact! So, I glued this back together, pressing it to remove as much of the seam as possible. There's one small section of fuselage about 1/2x1mm that flaked off, and I'm still debating whether to try and fix that or leave it. This model was never really a contender in any contest since it's a Roden kit with major fit issues, and now it is even less of a contender due to the new join at the waist.

Anyway, bottom line, I repaired it and after it was dry, I went searching for a ceiling joist to drill this hook deep into. I finally found one and this Cub is safely hanging high up on my ceiling again:

ABadDay_III.JPG

I have to say, I'm glad this didn't turn out much worse! It could have been quite the disaster!

Say some prayers for me guys! I don't think I can take many more episodes like this!

One fine day in scale modeling...

Good recovery! I too, need some 'coaching' in terms of my verbal responses to such incidents - and occasionally receive it.

Am mightlily intrigued by the line-up of Soviet TACAIR visible down behind the HALO. Got more pix of that bunch?

Guest PetrolGator

Feel your pain. My wife was dusting around where I display my completed ships and... accidentally dropped the curtain rod on my 1/700 Fuso, Haguro, and Cassin.

Somehow, the kamakaze attack did little to no damaged to the complicated Fuso or garbage Midship Models Cassin, but utterly destroyed the Haguro.

• Rigging was snapped and twisted
  • Both masts snapped. Tripod destroyed
  • Two turrets without barrels
  • Superstructure separated
  • forward hull split

In real life, damage like that would have ended with a mag explosion, fireworks, and an utterly blasted wreck. Being the first ship I built with PE, I'm probably going to try a resortation effort, assuming I can find all the parts.

Honestly Duke? I'm about to invest in a glass, protected case. I just don't trust gravity. It is a nemesis to all scale models. Also, my wife felt awful. She almost cried knowing how much I loved my poor, flawed Haguro.

I had a shelf drop on my work bench when I was in Iraq. The wife said nothing till I got home and I found the mess stacked up waiting on me. I lost a few models, one was the Huey crashed in the rice patty dio. The Huey is beyond repair and has been set back in the long forgotten area of my garage.

Glad you were able to save what you had.

When the grim reaper of models comes to call at your house, you can only marvel at the destructive creativity he uses and mourn your loss(es).

I lost a "Hornet + 3" recovery carrier to an avalanche of stacked National Geographic magazines. All I had left worth keeping was the Apollo command module that was on the deck and a few of the flight deck aircraft. I once accused my mother of dusting my display models in the house (while I was away at college) with a brick. I never did find most of the broken off pieces.

Sheetrock ceilings are useless for suspending models unless you can find some wood support framing above. Screws just pull out of the plaster slowly from the small weight of the model and the added stress of swaying in the movement of air.

Ed

Thanks guys for the awesome replies. This had happened to me once before with a 1/72 scale B-52H hanging above my workbench.

Gil, I remember that. Man, I felt your pain.

I was wondering where you put all those models you build.

Oh yeah. I have no choice but to hang the big ones up. The smaller ones are starting to get stacked on top of one another.

One fine day in scale modeling...

Good recovery! I too, need some 'coaching' in terms of my verbal responses to such incidents - and occasionally receive it.

Am mightlily intrigued by the line-up of Soviet TACAIR visible down behind the HALO. Got more pix of that bunch?

Thanks Bob! I an glad the repairs were so simple.

The only pic I have so far of my Soviet TACAIR all in one shot is this one:

HRRuAF.jpg

It's an older pic, so some of my more recent models aren't in it. If you'd like, I can take more pics to post, just let me know.

Good one Chris! This one had PLENTY of issues while I was building it, that's for sure!

Arthur, that's gotta hurt! I loved that crashed Huey dio!

Ed, I remember that one too. Dusting your models with a brick? LOL! Man, I couldn't stop laughing when I read that! I know how that feels, my mom did that once, and when she saw how much she was breaking things, she stopped and left it to me. She understood a little better; she had built models when she was a youngster.

Yeah, sheetrock ceilings are not good. Most of my models are light enough that so far, they have no problem remaining on the ceiling. The heavier ones I drilled into a ceiling joist and screwed the hooks into those. The Cub was a heavy aircraft; I forgot to find a joist and paid the price. Fortunately, I got quite the 'discount' in that it was a fast and easy fix.

Christopher, OUCH! Man, that had to hurt! At least she was sorry. My wife got mad at me because I was upset at something she broke on another model I was building for someone else! She didn't get it. As for a glass case, well..... once you see my Hobby Room, you'll know just why I couldn't possibly get one. For instance, here is the ceiling as it is currently 'configured'. I have aircraft hanging up there that I built 40 years ago to the present:

First shot, from hobby desk looking forward to room door:

Ceiling_2013_I.JPG

Going clockwise to the next corner on the right:

Ceiling_2013_II.JPG

Still going clockwise to the third corner of the room. This is the corner directly opposite my hobby desk:

Ceiling_2013_III.JPG

And finally, the last corner; this is directly over my head:

Ceiling_2013_IV.JPG

And that's a sneak peek at part of my Hobby Room. Once I get more model boxes cleared out and a little more organization, I'll take pics of the walls filled with shelving. Right now, too many shelves are filled with boxes stacked in front of them and my Hobby desk is so cluttered I can't even find it anymore...

Wow! my entire collection fits on two shelf units in my garage and two or three in my sons room. I tend to get tired of them and give the older ones away or part them out. The real joy for me is building them. Once done, with a few exceptions its no love lost if they go away. I dont even come close to having built that many models. Thanks for the pictures. Someday, very soon when my son leaves for college I'll have a hobby room of my very own. As for the drink of choice on those rare occasions I mix models with a cocktail, its anything with good gin in it.

Wow! my entire collection fits on two shelf units in my garage and two or three in my sons room. I tend to get tired of them and give the older ones away or part them out. The real joy for me is building them. Once done, with a few exceptions its no love lost if they go away. I dont even come close to having built that many models. Thanks for the pictures. Someday, very soon when my son leaves for college I'll have a hobby room of my very own. As for the drink of choice on those rare occasions I mix models with a cocktail, its anything with good gin in it.

Just think this is just his airplanes!!! Scary :smiley29:

Just think this is just his airplanes!!! Scary :smiley29:

Correction: This is just my BIG airplanes that don't fit on shelves! Even more scary! :blink::smiley20:

Thanks for the great replies guys!

...that I really want to just shoot myself in the head!

I know this is in jest, but it is just a hobby about items normally thought of as toys. Definitely not worth any self harm. Definitely worth a few choice words though!

I agree Rob. There's no lead in this head (although my sisters would dispute that! :blush: :D ) and I sure didn't add any holes to the walls. I definitely scorched the wallpaper with quite a few of those choice words! :lol: :smiley20:

Guest PetrolGator

Heh. I used this tragedy to come up with the theme for our next club meeting: Model Rehab. I'm bringing said Haguro. Her damage shall be repaired!

Duke,

You need to build a control tower and have them sort out that flight plan. Your scheduling of arrivals (new models built) and departures are overlapping. It may be that the Cub just ran out of fuel while stacked in the pattern. Remember, the heavies need more separation due to wake turbulence.

Bill

Christopher, that is a brilliant idea. Let us know how it goes.

Bill, that is hilarious! Thanks for the great laugh! Yeah, one of these days when I can get the 'base runway' situated, I'll re-arrange the holding pattern!