Making decals conform

Dreamsof51

I'm in the final stages of an 1/12 Aoshima Honda NSR250R motorcycle kit. The kit comes with some really nice decals but as you would expect, theres some tight curves to decal over. I started with the fuel tank top and both micro set and solva set are not doing the trick. Any other suggestions out there? I really dont want to try to paint match these colors.

I'm surprised that Solvaset isn't working. That's the 'nuclear option' after all. When that didn't work on my ancient MPC decals, I used Tamiya Extra Thin, but I wouldn't recommend that on this model at all! I'd say just keep trying with the Solvaset; apply multiple coats until you get the desired result.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Someone more informed should be able to offer better advice.

Actually Mark your advice was spot on. I ended up using what I would call the flood and press technique. Essentially applying solvaset and pressing the uncooperative sections into place. In the end I'm not entirely happy with the result but it worked out fairly well. It's frustrating because I've worked with decals that conform to far more complicated shapes then this.

As for solvaset being the nuclear option, I get that. The first time I used it, it was on a Porsche GT model I was building for my father in law for Christmas. The first decal I applied it to wrinkled up! I thought I was doomed but it slowly laid out and conformed perfectly. I have disintegrated some decals with it so yes it can create some issues. Always test on a sample is what I've learned. The motorcycle will be on the review board in a week or so I have to write it up. Always nice to have someone talk you off the cliff. Thanks for the advice.