Possible new cage mast set from Tom's

sumterIII

Richard posted on another site that he will have a new cage mast set coming out soon for 1/700 scale ships. I asked if he planned to make these in 1/350 scale too which he said should not be a problem but didn’t know if it was worth the effort vs. demand.

If indeed the mast will have the parabolic shape he said it will then 1/350 would certainly fit many of the ISW ships.

The more people who express the desire for a production cage mast for the early USN ships the better the chance we will see it.

If you like chime in here with a post so he will see the level of interest with this project.

Thanks

Guest PetrolGator

Count me in for six in 1/700, at least. I need one for each of the Big Five, and a set for my Lexington-class battlecruiser build I'm about to undertake.

I have an ISW BB that will need some, so I'll be up for one of those.

Edited by PetrolGator

My senior math project involved proving a hyperboloid could be projected into a flat shape, a question I asked my professor because I wanted to design a better cage mast in photoetch. After 6 weeks I turned in my research and informed the professor I had failed.

A week later, I got my project returned with a grade .... A!!

It seems I proved enough to him what he knew already. It is physically impossible to project this onto a flat surface. I managed to do the best I could when I designed the ISW cage masts.

Now I am working on a 3D drawing of a cage mast to produce in resin when I get my laser stereolithography machine in a few weeks. I'll be making custom formed cage masts for the BB guys out there, in 1/350 and 1/700... possibly even 1/200 but I don't theink the machine will be able to produce one that large.

My senior math project involved proving a hyperboloid could be projected into a flat shape, a question I asked my professor because I wanted to design a better cage mast in photoetch. After 6 weeks I turned in my research and informed the professor I had failed.

A week later, I got my project returned with a grade .... A!!

It seems I proved enough to him what he knew already. It is physically impossible to project this onto a flat surface. I managed to do the best I could when I designed the ISW cage masts.

Now I am working on a 3D drawing of a cage mast to produce in resin when I get my laser stereolithography machine in a few weeks. I'll be making custom formed cage masts for the BB guys out there, in 1/350 and 1/700... possibly even 1/200 but I don't theink the machine will be able to produce one that large.

I think sterolith 3d printing is the only way to produce these items. Like a lot of stuff, photoetch can't accurately reproduce the item.