Italeri AC-47

WildBill50

CIMG0997.jpgHey all,

here is the result of having leftover paint from another build. Since I have been on a Viet Nam kick the last couple of builds, I pulled out another one as long as there was paint leftover in the color cup. I used up the MM Acryl Dark tan on the fuselage and wings and then things got more involved. I just kept moving along and this is the result after two days. I had to add a section of plastic over the wing area to close up a gap that would have been noticeable if you were to look inside the fuselage, Once this was added the interior was painted dark green. Parts are painted and detailed. I scratched up a flare box made with basswood, drilled out the top and added plastic rod "flares". This I painted medium green with Aluminum painted flares. Also added to the floor are ammo boxes, strapped down with wine bottle foil. Pictures I have show ballistic curtains hanging over the windows on the gun side (port). I ran a thin wire between the aft and fore bulkheads with a cut piece of kleenex tissue skewered on it. I opened it up and spread it accross the windows. I think it does a serviceable job of what it is to be representing. The cockpit has a throttle qudrant added made from some leftover photo etch with blobs of glue for handles. Lap belts made from Tamiya tape with photo etch buckles are also installed. I then added a optical gunsight in the port side window for the pilot to aim the guns with.. I detailed up the Pratt and Whitneys with some small wire and painted and dry brushed the rest of the engines. The cowlings are all painted on the inside and most of the small stuff is ready to be added. I was able to close up the fuselage last night, so hopefully I'll get this bad boy painted within the next day or two. I drilled out the exhausts and painted them a rust color. So far, so good. The fit of the model is really good with no major filling to do. It's been fun so far.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

CIMG0996.jpgCIMG0999.jpgCIMG1002.jpgCIMG1003.jpgCIMG1004.jpgCIMG1005.jpgCIMG1000.jpg

Thanks, guys. I've got the fuselage and wings glued, filled and sanded..it's ready for paint. All I need to do is cover all of the windows and then on to the spray booth sometime this week or over the weekend. This will look cool sitting with my AC-119.

Pictures soon.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

CIMG1020_zps91e38724.jpg?t=1360635500Good evening,. Well it's on it wheels. The camo has been applied and then the closscoat. I am waiting for a Zotz decal sheet to arrive at any time so I can apply them to this build. After they are applied, windows will have the tape removed and the front canopy will be attached. All that will be left to do is rig up a couple of antennas and add the nav lights and rotating beacon. I want to get this done by Friday for our club meeting. It all depends on the USPS. Finished pictures asap.

Bill

CIMG1021_zpsf6a4ce58.jpg?t=1360635509CIMG1023_zps4427afcf.jpg?t=1360635567CIMG1025_zps1efffc46.jpg?t=1360635304

Edited by WildBill50

Hi Chris,

There is a Regional coming up. I may go and enter it there. We'll see. For once, I can say it looks better in person than the pics. Real happy how it came out.

Nice! I have two of those hanging on my ceiling too. One is the AC-130H and the other the AC130U. The -H model doesn't have decals since they got lost way back when I first built this plane. I wanted to use the decals because they had my father's tail-code on the sheet and I wanted to make his plane. If anyone knows where I can get some AC-130H decals in 1/72 scale with the tail code ending in -600, I'd be eternally grateful.

Mark,

No joy on the decal selection. Sorry about that. I do have some for an A model, not much...tail code markings AT -630

An -A model would work. I just looked at my model on the ceiling and it is a -A model My father's tail code was AT -600 though if I recall correctly. I need to do some research to be sure. I'll let you know.

Very nice, I built this kit for a gunner friend that flew with the spooky squadron. His mini guns had vertical ammo drums so I scratch built them.

The AC-119 I built for him had massive tail warping; did you have the same problem with yours?

Yes now you need the AC-130 to complete the set. Great job!

Hi Arthur,

My AC-119 was one of the better fitting kit I have made. No problems at all. I added ammo feeds to those guns on that plane and also wired up the search radar. That was one of my favorite builds. Thanks for looking.