Newest Finished Aircraft From The Duke

Mark Deliduka

Here it is finally finished, my Ju-52 Transport.

This is the ancient MPC model. It came molded in white and with a ton of flash. I even used the original decals on this model. It took copious amounts of Solvaset to get these decals to lay down in the ridges, but I'm satisfied with how they look now. After the dullcoat, I used some Tank Rats Black Soot weathering powders to stain the lower nose.

Without further ado, here she is:

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20I.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20II.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20III.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20V.JPG

An interesting thing happened when I pulled off the liquid mask from the main canopy: it pulled all my paint off too! I ended up having to repaint the canopy frames again. Oh well, I think they came out better the second time around.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Here it is finally finished, my Ju-52 Transport.

This is the ancient MPC model. It came molded in white and with a ton of flash. I even used the original decals on this model. It took copious amounts of Solvaset to get these decals to lay down in the ridges, but I'm satisfied with how they look now. After the dullcoat, I used some Tank Rats Black Soot weathering powders to stain the lower nose.

Without further ado, here she is:

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20I.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20II.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20III.JPG

German%20Ju%2052%20Transport%20V.JPG

An interesting thing happened when I pulled off the liquid mask from the main canopy: it pulled all my paint off too! I ended up having to repaint the canopy frames again. Oh well, I think they came out better the second time around.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Mark pulls another old chestnut out of obscurity. Nice to see that one again.

I remember these kits. The box art was really interesting and lead me to buy several when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken, two of my first airplanes were the He 188 and the PBY done by this manufacturer. I like the way you crew them up with the figures. It might be old but it looks the part. Well done, thanks for sharing.

T-bolt, thanks! Yeah, I love these old kits! It is such a blast going down Memory Lane with these old kits.

Dreams, VonL, Glenn and Dave, thanks! I never used the crew before, but I figure, why not? I like the way these look with pilots and crew in them.

Looks good! I'm particularly impressed by your decalling as it seems you managed to overcome the corregated surface and avoid silvering. That's a tough job on that bird! Congrats!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! It took what seems like gallons of Solvaset ( the 'Nuclear Option'!). I really 'nuked' these decals heavily with the Solvaset, and even used a semi-stiff brush to brush the softened decals into the grooves. They were still thick enough not to be torn or anything while I was doing it. I'll tell you, I was so relieved when this decaling job was over!!

That's the old Airfix kit - great to see one built! :)

Yeah, someone else told me that it was an original MPC (sure looked like it with the white plastic, heavy flash and short-shot pieces!) that was re-boxed by by Airfix later. I don't know. I still enjoyed building this SO much!! Thanks for the compliment Paul!

Oh, by the way, the Sabre Dog, the Ju-52 and the DH-2 I completed at the end of last year were all models I bought for 2-3 dollars each in my chapter's Distressed Kit Auction in December.

Nice job! Love the old "Tante Ju."

I used to have one of the old late '60s MPC issues..it came with a sheet of "custom" decals with flames, flowers, lightning bolts..an attempt to appeal to the kids. I built a Ford Tri-Motor from the same series.

Steve N, posting from my wife's computer again!!! :smiley26:

Nice job! Love the old "Tante Ju."

I used to have one of the old late '60s MPC issues..it came with a sheet of "custom" decals with flames, flowers, lightning bolts..an attempt to appeal to the kids. I built a Ford Tri-Motor from the same series.

Steve N, posting from my wife's computer again!!! :smiley26:

Steve, you just described this model I finished! I even got two sheets of the "Happy Nazi" decals (as someone called them) in this box too. I decided to use the decals you see on it! :smiley20:

The Boston I built a couple of months earlier was also one of the old MPC kits with the crazy decal stripes and designs. I still kept them. Who knows, I may find a way to use them someday!

Thanks for posting Steve, I appreciate your comments!

Airfix created the kits first. All MPC aircraft kits were licensed reissues from the Airfix molds. The new decals sometimes were helpful, like when three different sets of markings came on the sheet (Profile Series). I am not aware of any aircraft kit tools that were originated by MPC (and please correct me with specifics if I am wrong).

The fact that you are getting them for a couple of bucks each is a great deal. What you accomplish with the oldies is impressive. :smiley32:

Ed

Airfix created the kits first. All MPC aircraft kits were licensed reissues from the Airfix molds. The new decals sometimes were helpful, like when three different sets of markings came on the sheet (Profile Series). I am not aware of any aircraft kit tools that were originated by MPC (and please correct me with specifics if I am wrong).

The fact that you are getting them for a couple of bucks each is a great deal. What you accomplish with the oldies is impressive. :smiley32:

Ed

Thanks Ed, and thank you also for clearing that up about who it was that issued them first. Until now I'd never gotten a straight answer. I knew there was a reason I loved MPC kits! :smiley17::smiley20:

I also LOVED their Profile Series kits! One of m,y dreams as a kid was to get every one in the Series and build it; then cut off the box tops and post them on my bedroom wall as a montage. My first ever Profile Series model was the B-17. Ah, to get that one again and re-build it would be a dream! I recently (1 year ago or so) finished a Profile Series MPC Mosquito, and I have a Profile Series Hurricane sitting on my bench sans decals because when I coated them with a decal film, they broke all up!

Thanks again for the great comments Ed, I love your posts!

I found the following unbuilt MPC Profile Series kits in my collection:

Kit 2-2501 Boeing B-17G

Kit 2-2004 B-26 Marauder

Kit 2-2001-200 B-24 Liberator

Kit 2-1506-150 B-25 Mitchell

Kit 2-1507-150 P-61 Black Widow

Kit 2-3001 B-29 Superfortress

Kit 2-1512-150 Douglas DC-3

For those not old enough to have purchased these kits when they were on the shelves, the last three digits on the kit number were the number of pennies it took to buy the kit. Apparently I limited my selection to these aircraft because of my interest in them. Obviously I skipped many of the fighters and foreign-made aircraft in the series. MPC later reboxed many of these kits and dropped the Profile Series logo.

Ed

I found the following unbuilt MPC Profile Series kits in my collection:

Kit 2-2501 Boeing B-17G

Kit 2-2004 B-26 Marauder

Kit 2-2001-200 B-24 Liberator

Kit 2-1506-150 B-25 Mitchell

Kit 2-1507-150 P-61 Black Widow

Kit 2-3001 B-29 Superfortress

Kit 2-1512-150 Douglas DC-3

For those not old enough to have purchased these kits when they were on the shelves, the last three digits on the kit number were the number of pennies it took to buy the kit. Apparently I limited my selection to these aircraft because of my interest in them. Obviously I skipped many of the fighters and foreign-made aircraft in the series. MPC later reboxed many of these kits and dropped the Profile Series logo.

Ed

Sweet! Out of all those, I have the B-17 (ancient:built as a kid) and the B-25 (got recently, haven't started it). I also have built the O-2U Kingfisher, but I built it out of the Airfix box.

Yeah, I remember those prices as well. Good times!

This thread really takes me back. I remember building the 'Profile Series' Mosquito when I was a kid back in the mid '70s. The Airfix Mossie is still a darned nice little kit.

While we're on the subject of ancient Airfix/MPC corrugated three-engine thingies, here's my Ford Tri-Motor, built in 1991 (good grief..was that really 18 years ago?..seems like yesterday!) I made a replacement canopy with my trusty Mattell Vac-U-Form machine, replaced most of the engine nacelle struts with Evergreen rod stock, and added stretched sprue control cables. Decals are homemade, using some hand-painted elements (like the Ford logo) and dry-transfer letters/numbers. Paint is good old Testor's spray-bomb silver.

Cheers!

Steve

02-19-09002.jpg

02-19-09005.jpg

Wow, that looks better than mine! Well done Nelson!

Ford%20Trimotor%20I.jpg

I wasn't as good about getting the decals down over this corrugation, but apparently it was good enough for an OOB award at the Nats in 2007.

Nice looking bird, I had the opportunity to see one in person in Ohio. Looks like it was / is a nice kit.

SteveK

Not to sidetrack the thread, but the Ford is probably my all-time favorite plane. I got my first airplane ride in the old Island Airlines Tri-Motor back in 1976, and have flown in a total of three (including over a dozen hops in the Kalamazoo Air Zoo's Tin Goose back when I was a museum volunteer.) I've also seen several others in various museums.

SN

Not to sidetrack the thread...

With a clear intention of side-tracking this thread: I've got the recent Monogram re-issue of the Tri-motor with the "Rapid Air Lines" Wamblee-ohanko, etc, logo in black. Just like looking at WWI camo colors, it's obvious from peering at b/w pix of the real one, that this airplane's markings were not all dead-black. I have no idea how to even guess what the correct colors may have been. Any airliner historians out there who may have some colorful anything depicting this airline's logo...? Or is it just artistic-license time?

I doubt you'll find anything other than B&W pictures, so you can probably just pull the colors out of your a....I mean, make an educated guess.

I've got a couple of the Island Airlines kits in the basement. "Someday" I plan to build one with a scratchbuilt interior, aftermarket engines, the works..as it appeared the day I flew in it. Of course the old Monogram kit is actually 1/76-ish scale. It's also the earlier, shorter 4-AT, while the Airfix kit is the later, longer 5-AT (and 1/72 scale.) In my dreams, Tamiya would release a new-tool 1/72 4-AT and 5-AT. I'm not holding my breath, though....

SN