Maddog Manufacturing 2013 Production Line Updated 7/17

Mark Deliduka

Thanks Bill! Yeah, I'll get it done. I have some more filler to add, and some more sanding to do; then I can shoot another silver coat. Then she'll be ready for decals and finally finishing.

Thanks again for the compliment on the Dora. Yeah, she's a big 'un; I can't wait to get her off my workbench and on to my display!

You are bringing Dora with you to Nats, right? Probably would fit in the back seat.

That is the plan Phil. I am working on the last few things to do on it now; hopefully she'll be done in time. I have a friend making a carrying box for her now. I'll be packing her for the trip on Saturday if all goes well.

Very nice, looking forward to seeing it and you.

Edited by philp

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chris! No, I'm still alive, which gives me a fighting chance. I got some work, and I also have a ton of things to do here at my house. Once I get most all of them done, I'll start back up again. Believe me, I am very eager to get back to my bench!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Chris, here's my latest update as promised....

Well, the Nationals are over; I'm back home and been taking care of things that had been neglected while I was gone. My packages of all my purchases are in and so it's time to get some building started again.

I'm starting off slow with some small, simple little models after having worked so hard on the Dora. These first few models are some simple little cars from ACE.

This first one is the French Traction Avant that I started out on. I got the suspension completed and the interior; then started on the body:

WIP_Traction_Avant_I.jpg

I did the same to a Russian staff car, the GAZ 11 or something like that:

WIP_Russian_GAZ_11_M_I.jpg

I also started a Russian GAZ pickup truck as well. I did the suspension underneath, just like the above two cars:

WIP_Russian_Pickup_I.jpg

Then I built the bed in back and added the interior:

WIP_Russian_Pickup_II.jpg

And then I started the cab. I gotta add windows before I go much further:

WIP_Russian_Pickup_III.jpg

Here's a fun shot of all the above cars and trucks alongside the Russian ZIS-6 I started earlier:

WIP_Softskin_GB_I.jpg

Next is an early war German horse-drawn machine gun. The first thing I did was to assemble the horses... well, try to assemble the horses. The fit was outrageous, it was amazing to get some seams to actually meet! Here's what I had to deal with:

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_III.jpg

You've heard of the Headless Horseman? Well, here's his horse.....

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_II.jpg

After getting the horses together with their heads, I assembled the two parts of the cart what hauls the gun and crew:

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_IV.jpg

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_V.jpg

You can see they went together quite well. Nice job Alexey!

Later on, I went back and filled in and sanded the main gaps and holes in the horses.. They are starting to look pretty good right now:

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_VI.jpg

Another simple kit I started was the ModelCollect Russian TOS-1. It's the earlier version of the TOS-1 Buratino that I did from ACE. The first thing that surprised and slightly concerned me was the main lower hull was molded in metal:

WIP_Russian_TOS_I.jpg

WIP_Russian_TOS_II.jpg

My first thought when seeing this was "I hope this doesn't crumble to dust like the Dragon kits did"!

I went ahead and assembled the rocket launcher box and the upper hull and set them together on the lower hull as a test fit:

WIP_Russian_TOS_III.jpg

One of my disappointments with this kit is that they give you no way to make the box elevate like the ACE kit did. It can only be assembled with the box in the lowered position. I'm going to have to fix that. If ACE can make it raise and lower, then I'm going to make this one also raise and lower.

Moving along, I started a simple aircraft, another ancient Aurora civilian aircraft in 1/72 scale. This is the Jet Commander that I got at the Nationals. I started with the cockpit and interior, such as they are.....:

WIP_Jet_Commander_I.jpg

Then I decided to dry-fit everything together to see if weight was needed in the nose. Surprisingly enough, none is needed. Here is how it is going to look when I get further along:

WIP_Jet_Commander_II.jpg

I'm thinking if maybe I can get another one of these kits, and then get something with swept wings that are the same size/scale that I can kitbash to this to get a different plane....... naw, I don't think that's gonna happen.....

Next up, I moved on to a couple other more extensive models since they were calling my name. This first one is the Aoshima Japanese truck with kitchen and water tank trailers. I started with the chassis naturally:

WIP_Japanese_3_ton_Truck_I.jpg

WIP_Japanese_3_ton_Truck_II.jpg

Next I built the rear bed. I set it up with the benches down for troops to sit on. Here it is dry-fit to the chassis:

WIP_Japanese_3_ton_Truck_III.jpg

Finally, I also started the Hobby Boss Br-86 Locomotive. I started out with the main chassis frame:

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_I.jpg

...and built it up to this:

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_II.jpg

I had a few issue with some of the drive system linkages not hooking up correctly and I'm not sure how to get them fixed. I'll have to experiment.

Next I'll be doing up the main tank and driver's cabin.

Well, that's all the updates I have for today. It feels great to get back to the bench, especially doing some of these simple, relaxing little kits. Now I also need to finish some other projects I started before the Nationals and get them done; including some rather large subjects. So, stay tuned everyone for more updates. Meanwhile, comments are welcome and thanks all for looking in.

Guest PetrolGator

Mark,

Nice to see you building. Those horses sort of remind me of the fit issues I had with my England. It drives me nuts when a company can't seem to figure out how to make kits fit together in a half bloody decent fashion.

Thanks Chris! Yeah, I agree, but then again; these ACE kits are all short runs. Alexey has actually been getting better with his molding; many of his newest kits are really going together very well. He does need to work on his animals though, they can be quite tough to get right. I have to admit; despite the issues with ACE kits, I love building them! Alexey always comes up with some awesome subjects!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to get a little more bench time in this week, so I got to work on some more of my small models; as well as some others which have been neglected of late.

I'll start out with my aircraft. The little Cessna 172 floatplane is still giving me fits. I had to strip off the paint on the floats since every time I sprayed them, the paint wrinkled up. I just got fed up and stripped them down to bare plastic and then re-shot the tops:

WIP_Cessna_172_Floatplane_VII.JPG

Later I'll re-shoot the bottoms.

I also painted some blue on the nose and across the sides of this plane to give it some color since the decals shattered. I also had to touch up some of the white as well. I'll be shooting a coat of clear on this later:

WIP_Cessna_172_Floatplane_VIII.JPG

Now I need to find a red decal or pinstripe to add to the side of this to somewhat match the tail. I might even add some kind of artwork to the tail.

Speaking of clear, I shot a coat of clear on the DC-6 as well. I didn't take any pics because ...well, it looks the same as the last time I shot color on it! LOL! ~12 I should be able to start decaling this soon.

Finally, after spending what felt like a week sanding and filling and sanding and sanding and sanding.... I finally got this Yak coated with a coat of silver that I'm happy with. It has also been clear-coated so I'll be able to start adding decals to this one too.

WIP_Yak_28_VIII.jpg

WIP_Yak_28_IX.JPG

Now on to my armor. I got a little done on all these small cars and trucks I'm building, only because I had a lot of seams to fix. That took a lot of sanding too. So, since I was already sanding the Yak 28, I figured I'd keep sanding all these cars and trucks while sanding that Yak. When I finally got them the way I mostly wanted, I started adding the windows to them.

First off, for the Group Build in the Braille Scale Forums on Missing Lynx, I assembled the wheels and undercarriage for the little Zis 6 truck I started for it. They went together fine, now all I have to do is add the drive shafts and exhaust underneath; then install the windows on it and I can move forward:

WIP_BS_Softskin_GB_II.jpg

Next up is the Traction Avant with the front windshield done with Testor's Clear Parts cement and Window maker. I couldn't find any accessible clear acetate so I went ahead and did this:

WIP_Traction_Avant_II.jpg

The window is still wet, it'll dry clear. The body is also dry-fit on the chassis; it's a little tight in back making it stick up like that.

This next one is the GAZ 11M staff car. I added the windows that were included in the kit for this one. Here it is with the body dry-fit to the chassis and the windows already masked with a liquid masking agent. Once that mask dries, I'll shoot some gloss black paint on this:

WIP_Russian_GAZ_11_MI_I.jpg

The window cement worked so well on the Traction, I did it also on this little GAZ truck. Here I got all the windows done since they were a bit smaller. Some of them, are still a little wet in this pic. I have the cab dry-fit to the Chassis as well:

WIP_Russian_Pickup_IV.jpg

Once this truck's windows are dry I'll mask them as well and shoot a gloss black over this one too.

While some of those windows were drying, I assembled the twin guns and carriage for the horse-drawn cart. I also added some other detail parts to the two carts. The gun carriage was a tricky assembly; it was a bear trying to get it all lined up right:

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_VII.jpg

Here it is dry-fit to the pedestal inside the trailer:

WIP_FirstBlood_GB_VIII.jpg

I see the one horse has lost his tail. Gonna have to try and fabricate one.

Last but not least, I finished building the tracks and running gear on my British Warrior Mechanized Combat vehicle. Now all I need to do is find the side skirts, install them, and I can then clearcoat and decal this model:

WIP_British_Warrior_MRCV_III.jpg

And that completes my update for these past three days. It ain't much, but I'm trying to improve a little while still having fun. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get some paint and decals done on some of these.

Until then, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Chris! Usually, they would unhook the carriage holding the gun and lower the skids underneath to keep the carriage propped level. They would then move the horses a safe distance away and have them ready when it was time to move out again. In a pinch, I'm sure that they could fire over the rear of the carriage away from the horses. I'm also led to believe that they are horses trained for battle; generally loud noises like this don't spook them... much. Kind of like cavalry horses are trained to handle the sounds of battle during a charge.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PetrolGator

Mark, you're slacking again....

Hi, Mark,

Nothing like a little guilt trip as a motivator . . . :smiley2:

Ed

GUILT TRIP??

Never! :smiley14:

Yeah, I agree Ed, but it does feel good knowing my updates are missed. So far, Chris is the only one on four Forums who has sent me on a guilt trip all expenses paid! :gold-plane: :smiley2::smiley8:

I'm finishing up a couple more things; I should be able to post tonight! :smiley20:

Guest PetrolGator

Yeah, I agree Ed, but it does feel good knowing my updates are missed. So far, Chris is the only one on four Forums who has sent me on a guilt trip all expenses paid! :gold-plane: :smiley2::smiley8:

I'm finishing up a couple more things; I should be able to post tonight! :smiley20:

That better be a promise, Mark.

Well, the best plaid plans of Mice and Men often go astray....

I got called in to do a job for someone yesterday so that took most all my day. Then I had to finish up some wargame tanks for a friend of mine. They are done so I should have pics very soon today. Stay tuned.

Okay, I'm a little late in getting things posted, but as promised, here's my latest update.

I'll start with my aircraft, since I only had one thing I was working on and it got screwed up again. Story of my life! I was painting the details (nose, black in front of cockpit, green on fins, etc.) Of course it was my fault since I got green paint on my thumb and promptly emblazoned my aircraft with a big green thumbprint right on the top like an idiot! So, when I removed it and then shot some more silver over it, this is the result:

WIP_Yak_28_X~0.JPG

That has been put away until I find myself willing to pull it out and do the painting all over again from scratch. :smiley18::angry:

Now on to my armor. This is all the work I got done at St. Crispin's Hobby Day on Friday.

Things had been going great to a point while I was working on my armor. I even thought I was making progress when I shot my Gloss Black on my GAZ 11 and my GAZ pickup truck:

WIP_Softskin_GB_II.jpg

WIP_Softskin_GB_III.jpg

But then I took a closer look. I had forgotten to put the photo-etch grills alongside the engine compartments! Boy did I feel like an idiot! :smiley18::smiley6: So now I need to scrape the paint, apply the P/E and then re-shoot these two.

Moving along, I decided to get some more of my Morser 17 gun built. I finished up the gun carriage and added the barrel. That was tough to do:

WIP_German_Morser_17cm_Gun_II.jpg

Then I completed the main chassis for this gun, except for all those tiny detail pieces that would end up breaking off every time I handled this thing:

WIP_German_Morser_17cm_Gun_III.jpg

Here's a shot of the two assemblies dry-fit together:

WIP_German_Morser_17cm_Gun_IV.jpg

After getting that far, I went on to my Japanese three-ton truck. I couldn't do much more to the truck itself yet since I have to paint it before I can move on. So I figured now was a good time to start the two trailers that went behind it. First I got the water trailer done:

WIP_Japanese_3_ton_Truck_IV.jpg

Next I went to work on the cooking trailer and got it done:

WIP_Japanese_3_ton_Truck_V.jpg

Now it is time to paint these two along with the truck after sanding the water tank smooth.

So, I set them all aside and moved on to the BR-86 locomotive. I finally found out why certain linkages weren't connecting right: I had two of them upside down! After fixing them, everything went together far better and now I could move on:

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_III.jpg

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_IV.jpg

So next I started putting together the 'barrel' (for want of a better word) of the locomotive. I got it together and added filler to those areas that needed it:

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_V.jpg

Then it wanted me to add a bunch of detail parts to the "bumps" that go on top of this part, but all those parts would have broken off when it was time to add them to the barrel. So I skipped that step. I'll add the "bumps" after I get this sanded to my satisfaction first; then I'll install the detail parts.

So, that being said, I moved on to the cabin and installed the windows. I did this a little differently this time. On my WC-360, the windows look like crap because the edge where the 'glass' was glued was still unpainted, and I had to paint the edges very thick to hide the unpainted plastic. On this model, I could see the same thing happening, so I painted the inside edges where the 'glass' was supposed to go and while the paint was still wet, I installed the clear parts. Thus the paint holds the clear parts and the bare plastic is painted. Here is the cab next to the barrel:

WIP_Br86_Locomotive_VI.jpg

My apologies for the 'highly technical' parts description for this locomotive. :blush:

Moving along once again, I decided to change things up a bit. I pulled out my 1/32 scale model of my Airfix Dennis Fire Truck. First thing I did was to clean up the ladders of all the seam lines. Here's a 'before' shot:

WIP_Summer_Break_GB_III.JPG

See the difference? The 'clean' one is on front:

WIP_SummerBreak_GB_IV.JPG

Next I assembled the ladder lifting gear for the back of the truck. I got it all assembled and then dry-fit it to the back of the truck. Here it is next to all three 'clean' ladders:

WIP_SummerBreak_GB_V.JPG

Next up is some painting on that as well as adding the rope so that the ladders are able to extend and contract. I do hope it works!

After St. Crispin's I did a little work this past week. Most of it was on a company of Syrian T-54's for a friend's wargame army. These are in 15mm scale and made of white metal. He asked me to paint them up for a historical gaming convention this weekend. Here is the company all painted up and ready to go:

StevePhenowsCompany_I.jpg

All those were airbrushed, even the camo pattern. Pretty good I thought, considering I had no fine tip for my airbrush. Just so you can see the scale difference, here is one of the T-54's next to my 1/72 scale T-55:

StevePhenowsCompany_II.jpg

Finally, while painting his tanks, I also shot some paint on the ZIS 5 truck I've been working on as well:

WIP_Softskin_GB_IV.jpg

Well, that is my latest update for this week. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome!

• Like 1

Thanks Chris! Yeah, I may get that plane done someday once I figure out how to keep that mess from spreading. While the locomotive looks complicated; it is pretty simple to build; of course, it's easier if I put the parts on right side up! :blush::smiley13:

Stay tuned for more; I may have some more progress to post later this week. I do have to do some touch-ups on Dora before the Antelope Valley contest so that I have a better chance of placing. After that, I'll get to work on some other stuff.