57 chevy...WIP...FINISHED...3-24-14

GaryDavis

I started on a replica build of a 57 Chevy that was built by Tim Field( my cousin) and his Father, back in the mid to late 70s. The engine was a 327 SB that was built for street racing along with the muncie 4spd. The car was painted a med Met. Blue with pearl white Ghost flames on the hood. The outside and all the running gear was finished on the car. The interior was being redone when Tim had to sell it. Soooo...with all that in mind...I'm going to build the interior as if Tim and I would've done it together. Infact... WE are doing it together....I'm on the phone with him quite a lot as I build the inside. I've found pretty much all the items that I need( Reference pics also) to get this project under way.

Here are a few pics of the Engine with the Tri-carb setup, Hooker Headers, scratch built dip stick and muncie 4spd mocked up

en8-vi.jpg

in1-vi.jpg

en3-vi.jpg

The rear seat has been modified to accept a new Tuck-n-roll seating sections....

ti8-vi.jpg

ti12-vi.jpg

The Bucket seats are from the Parts box...Here's the interior in mockup....

ti13-vi.jpg

There's more to show...but I have to load more pics into the FOTKI acct. as they had moved lock... stock... and Barrel...to another country. Thanks for looking in folks...

Edited by GaryDavis

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Gary,

Nice use of the Evergreen half-round strips for the seat cushion details. Were the front buckets that were supposed to go into the full-size interior going to be late-'60s vintage with headrests? At least they look like GM seats. Nice start.

Ed

Nice tuck'n'roll work! Are you going to cover it all with those clear plastic seat covers? You know....the ones that would give you 3rd degree burns when you sat on them after a couple of hours in the hot sun at the beach? :smiley17:

Looking forward to seeing how you do the ghost flames too!

GIL :smiley16:

Nice tuck'n'roll work! Are you going to cover it all with those clear plastic seat covers? You know....the ones that would give you 3rd degree burns when you sat on them after a couple of hours in the hot sun at the beach? :smiley17:

Looking forward to seeing how you do the ghost flames too!

LOL....Man Gil.....you just threw me back in time with the clear... skin grab'in... material that was used back then. You're oh soooo right about that too!!!! At that time I lived in Northern Calif.(Redding) and it gets pretty darn hot there in the summer. My Uncle had those plastic covers on his seats ( don't remember what car it was) and it did rip at the skin. It only took ONCE for me to Learn. LOL... To answer your question....No...I don't think we're going to have that on the seats. But...you know...that would be a cool idea to do on a stock type of interior... Hmmm...

Hi, Gary,

Nice use of the Evergreen half-round strips for the seat cushion details. Were the front buckets that were supposed to go into the full-size interior going to be late-'60s vintage with headrests? At least they look like GM seats. Nice start.

Ed

Hey Ed...Evergreen material sure is great to work with for fab work. As far as the year of the front buckets seats go...Tim picked these out of the many choices I had laid out. He was going to completely re-build the whole interior as it wasn't started when he had to sell it. So...we kinda have a little leeway on that part of it. Infact...the whole interior of the car was stock(yellow and black) and in pretty bad shape when he had to let it go.

Edited by GaryDavis

Here are a few pics of Chassis and the fabbed(from solder) exhaust pipes. The tips and mufflers are Detail Master. Also the dash will have fabbed knobs along with a 8 track tape player,tach and a two gauge setup underneath the jockey box.

Chassis(mocked up)

newexhaust001-vi.jpg

chassis002-vi.jpg

The two short sections of pipe will be added in final assembly..

The Dash with the knobs drilled out and cleaned up....

updates005-vi.jpg

Modified firewall...

Chassisupdates003-vi.jpg

paintonf_wall002-vi.jpg

The Wheels and tires. The lettering is hand painted using pollyS flat white...

updates011-vi.jpg

The Spare....

updates009-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Sharp lettering! I get the "Polly S" part...but what brush did you use? Did you use a dry-brush technique, or actually paint the raised letters? And, did you thin the paint at all? I'm sure your rock steady hand helped, but are there any other tricks you can pass along to get such neat results, like yours?

Sharp lettering! I get the "Polly S" part...but what brush did you use? Did you use a dry-brush technique, or actually paint the raised letters? And, did you thin the paint at all? I'm sure your rock steady hand helped, but are there any other tricks you can pass along to get such neat results, like yours?

​Hey Gil...I did thin the paint to a milk( 1%...fairly thin) consistency using 75% isopropyl Alcohol. Next...I used a Pink sanding stick ( rougher of the two sides) and sanded the letters as level as possible...with out sanding them to low. It usually don't take to much. Wash them with water afterwards. Next...I made a stamping tool out of a NEW #2 pencil eraser. To make that....I took a single edged razor blade and cut a "V" in the eraser looking Down from the eraser end. Keep the "V" part and cut the two sides along the brass ferrule at the bass of the "V" on the outside. What we have left is a RUBBER Stamp that has a Small and Large end that is Flat. Next...dip the rubber into the thinned paint...dob it onto a paper towel to take off the excess and then apply it to the tire lettering. The two sized ends help in different sized lettering. Here are a few pics...Hope this helps you....

stamp2-vi.jpg

stamp4-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Here are a few more update pics...

Color on the chassis...
freshpaint2001-vi.jpg
freshpaintii004-vi.jpg
Paint on Dash along with BMF. Stainless Steel tubing with Plastic rod inserts for the knobs...
57Dashmore001-vi.jpg
Finished Dash.....
finisheddash002-vi.jpg
Painted interior and in mockup....
freshpaint021-vi.jpg
freshpaint017-vi.jpg
Edited by GaryDavis

Man that is looking brilliant! I love the dash, it looks like I can start flipping switches and turning knobs! How did you get the underside to look that good? What did you use and how did you do that?

SU-WEET! That dash is killer! What tape is in the 8-track? :smiley17: And that's a great idea, making a "stamp" from an eraser! Thanks for the tip! :smiley20:

Thanks for the compliment Gil. You're very welcome for the tip. I found that it makes tire lettering a whole lot easier than using a 10 ott paint brush(which I've done to many that way...)

Let's see....I think the tape might be "Cream-Greatest Hit's" or Jimi Hendrix-Are you Experienced. But...there's a box(remember them) of 8 trks that are in the front passenger seat. I think the "Lov'in Spoonful", Doors second Album, Iron Butterfly,BST,annnnd...we can't forget CCR are in that. Pics will be posted soon of that.

Edited by GaryDavis

Man that is looking brilliant! I love the dash, it looks like I can start flipping switches and turning knobs! How did you get the underside to look that good? What did you use and how did you do that?

Hey Mark...Thanks. The underside??? Do you mean the chassis? If so...I used three different colors and airbrushed them on. The drk. Gray was shot in the recesses and then I used Satin blk on all the raised detail. Then the chassis rails were shot with Blk semi gloss. The lower "A" frame was shot with Alclad Magnesium. I'm going to use a Drk Gray wash in all the crevesses and then dry brush Light Gray on the high areas... as this was a daily driver. I kinda don't want to do it as I also like the look that it has....but....it's not straight from the factory...

Edited by GaryDavis

Thanks for the Compliments folks..

Here's a few update pics of the finished interior. All is in mockup with the yellow stuff holding things in place.

Started the BMF...

freshpaint2003-vi.jpg

Carpet laid down. The Steering wheel left OFF to see how things line up. Piping not added to seats yet.

freshpaint2007-vi.jpg

The box of Tapes in seat....

freshpaint2009-vi.jpg

Piping added and the interior is pretty much complete. The E brake handle will be added when the whole interior is in final assembly...

piping004-vi.jpg

piping005-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

This is really cool. I built the Revell kit as a Christmas present for my Dad a few years ago. Stuck to stock config and classic turquoise and white body color. I love the way your scratching all the custom parts. Can't wait to see the body go together. Going to be very impressive if what we've seen so far is any indication. Fantastic!

Chris

Thanks guys...I'm waiting for the weekend so I can lay down the interior body paint. Hopefully I can get this finished(the paint) this weekend. The engine bay is up next. I'll have a few update pics of the engine soon...

• 3 weeks later...
Here are a few progress pics of the body ( in primer) on the chassis. I got the ride height where it should be. I had to add a new mounting blocks in the rear spring area to achieve that. The headliner color has been shot already. The engine bay color also. Some light sanding on the body and it's Color time.

bodyprimer001-vi.jpg

bodyprimer006-vi.jpg

bodyprimer004-vi.jpg

It's gonna be awfully loud with such small mufflers... ;-)

Great work!

ghodges, on 15 Jan 2014 - 17:02, said:snapback.png

Are those Crager mags? :smiley2:

I think those ARE Cragers Gil...I had to try and match what he had on the 1/1. I found these in the Parts box. They're pretty DARN close...according to ref pics anyway.

That is looking great! I'll be watching this closely as I have the most difficult time getting a good coat on any cars I do. What is that primer you used on this?

The primer I used on this build is Alclad Gray. I bought the white also but haven't used it yet. I really like it...goes on smooth. I thinned it a tad(lacquer thinner) before loading it into the airbrush.

Edited by GaryDavis

Thanks Jim.... Got the Chrome finished(Alclad) and am working on the linkaged for the Tri-Carbs. Motor is painted and ready to enstall. The Chassis is complete except for that. As soon asi I can get that Motor in..I'll shoot update pics of the finished chassis. Then...the Body will get paint. Here is a look at the Chrome work. Thanks for looking in folks.....

CHROMEFINISHED002-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few engine pics. It's pretty much finished. Throttle linkage, Fuel log and braided fuel line are in. The Air cleaners will be attached after the motor has been put in. The headers also. I had to pre-wire the motor before adding do to the headers flanges...that's why they're hanging out in the air. :-D Thanks for looking in folks...

finishedengine005-vi.jpg

finishedengine003-vi.jpg

finishedengine001-vi.jpg

Well...the chassis is finished and on its feet. The engine is finished and in. The heater hoses are not hooked up on the engine as that has to be done after the body is on. The brake lines have to wait until then also. Here are a few pics....
Chassis bottom.....
finishedchasis005-vi.jpg

finishedchasis001-vi.jpg

Engine bay.....
engineinchassis002-vi.jpg

engineinchassis003-vi.jpg

engineinchassis001-vi.jpg