All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. is there a single "101 paint theory" book you could recommend? after reading through this thread, it articulates my concern(s) that a substantial amount of my finished models look too dark. initially, I thought it was the level of 'flat-ness' in my paint choice. after painting a couple of models with a base coat (over primer), and gaining reinforcement here, I realize there was no consideration given to scale implications. I must learn how to compensate & "go lighter" with my color selections. thanks
  3. UMM USA has come to modelers rescue with another excellent tool, this time, the Micro Template Scriber. As the name describes, this tool is used to scribe using templates to replicate specific shapes being added to a model or to fix what was lost sanding and filling. Modelers have used many things in the past to do this same task- needles, line engravers, etc., and each has their drawbacks. UMM has produced a Template Scriber designed to fix these problems. The engraving tip is hardened tool steel to make sure the edge stays crisp. It is very fine and will glide around the interior of the template. Very importantly, the handle is ergonomically designed and has a grip to avoid slipping and allow even pressure to keep lines consistent. read more View the full article
  4. I have been using UMM scribers for quite a while now. I use it for scraping seams and engraving panels lines eradicated by sanding and filling. Its design is multipurpose, and I love it. That was the SCR-01 original scriber. Since that came out, Jon has come out with an SCR-02 and now, an SCR-03 version. The newest version is longer and thinner than the originals providing even better access to tight corners. The part itself is manufactured from hardened tool steel and has a matte finish. One end is a sharpened hook for scribing panel lines and the other end is a flat blade which also has an edge to it. Overall length is 5.5 inches which is comfortable to hold in your hands and makes it very maneuverable even with my small hands. The UMM web site listed above lists its possible uses as scribing panel lines with push and pull techniques, removing pin marks, trimming flash, trimming stretched sprue, deburring, piercing, scrapping, carving etc. read more View the full article
  5. The effect is not based on the light source. It is a well noted effect cited in numerous books such as he Kookaburra Luftwaffe Painting Guide on page 5..."the camouflage colors should not be strictly as laid down in any RLM color charts, but should be a few shades lighter if one is to achieve any sort of realism." The method we use to apply decals....a clear gloss, the decal, a clear gloss and then a clear flat also sharpens and brightens the colors. This is a method similar to that of the 17th century Dutch Masters like Rembrandt and van Dyke. Everything old is new again. I also saw an F-4 Phantom with the rescue arrow painted off register...just like a few decal sheets I have seen. Dak
  6. Yesterday
  7. If a MiG really did carry such markings- as in a captured example- it would not be hypothetical. It is only hypothetical if the aircraft ( or any aircraft) was never in reality marked as the modeler chose to mark it. Nick
  8. Noel, I don't believe so. I've never heard of anyone getting paid for their articles.
  9. Hello On behalf of the Three Rivers IPMS club ,I would like to hear about this status. Anybody else with Tax-exempt status. This was recently questioned as we attempted to purchase awards for our Annual Show. Love to see some Information Regards Bill D.
  10. Another question about writing for the journal. Do authors get paid for their work like IPMS UK magazine writers?
  11. An update on my search for the Ceramic Fiber.... Success! The phone # is 802-885-3094 (no answering machine so just let it ring, if no reply then call back later) Ask for Precision Enterprise and away you go! I bought 4 packs of Wonder Wire (only comes in .006mil and that works for 72, 48, and 32 in my humble experience) $10 per pack and shipping was $4 (domestic) Place order Oct 11 and received the package about a week later Now I'm set for a few years!
  12. I also find this an interesting discussion about the shade of paint. Considering that most of what we model is kept outdoors, I honestly doubt that "scale effect" is really the culprit, although I won't suggest it doesn't existence. Having spend many years on a flight line, paint fades with exposure to sun and weather. In a row of aircraft, each painted the the same FS code, you can easily spot the newer painted aircraft in any color. You could also see where repairs had been made by the splotches of dark paint. Often hatches were cannibalized from other aircraft and they would stand out as differant shades. This was especially true of the birds in Vietnam. They got pretty beaten up. The only time they looked "correct" was straight out of the paint shop and then only for a month or so, until the sun did it's work. Even the grays painted on the tankers and some of the naval aircraft had amazingly different shades.
  13. I sent an article to Chris Bucholtz ( at email on magazine masthead) with imbedded photos. He promptly wrote back that he would prefer the photos as separate attachments so that he could manipulate as needed for the magazine. Done and waiting for publication
  14. The BBC have still not given a firm date for airing war of the worlds just yet. My guess around Christmas. Incidentally, they are running a series based on Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy. It is going to air on Nov 3rd in the UK. Do not know what is planned for US tv. But the BBC has an internet 1 week catchup named IPlayer, so you guys may be able to use broadband to either watch on a smart tv or a pc and either stream of download each of them within the week they sit in the UK.
  15. Interesting views on this thread, including Dak's tongue in cheek mis spelling of accuracy in the title.
  16. So I can only suppose the 'ol Mig with American markings as seen in many photos considered "hypothetical"? I see no difference between the two photos. Just curious.
  17. Contact John Heck at artdirector@ipmsusa.org. He's the guy that actually puts the mag together and I know he's always looking for material.
  18. Is there a gouge here for accomplishing this? Thought I had seen one awhile back, but can't find it now. Reason for this question is that a member of our chapter sez he's tried to work this with "them" and just gets the sound of crickets. Good dude; superb modeler and chapter member, so there's no weird attitude-issue in play; just frustrated. Apparently barking up the wrong tree - ? What are we missing?
  19. Last week
  20. That's one of mine, also. But I have pictures of tanks in North Africa where the tracks are clearly not sinking into the soil. However, they are making some tracks on the surface. Dak
  21. My pet peeve are tanks and figures in a diorama that were apparently “beamed in”, because there are no tracks in the snow/mud to show how they got there.... or the aircraft on the grass at the edge of the taxiway - apparently not even the wheels of a 10,000 pound aircraft can flatten that tough grass!
  22. Down the home stretch! Last time we had just completed the wings, tail, fuselage, nose and wheel-wells, leaving just the final assembly and finish for the last segment of this three-part review. To recall: I chose to display only the port wing's inboard engine detail, and to cover up the remaining three engines. Otherwise, the aircraft is built up from the box with the exceptions of a set of brass gun barrels, and a set resin control panels and accompanying decals. The brass barrels will be part of a separate IPMS review. read more View the full article
  23. The Eduard Mirage IIIC is a well-known kit, first released in the mid-2000s. Despite being 15-yr old molds, they hold well the pass of time and it is nice to see it re-released. It sure builds into a nice replica of the French interceptor. The kit comes molded in light grey plastic, with a total of 167 parts in 8 sprues, plus a small sprue of clear parts. The decals are printed by Eduard, they are opaque, shiny and in register. This boxing also includes pre-painted photoetch and pre-cut masks. As an add-on, this kit also includes resin parts for the upgraded airframes which used the ATAR 9C engine. read more View the full article
  24. Yes, I have noticed this on several models over the years. Dak
  25. I stared this project in 2017 and it sat on the shelf of shame in the primer stage until a month ago when I finally dusted it off to finish. I based the turret on this drawing... but updated the design to have later type production features. The unique turret parts were designed in 3D CAD and printed by Panzer Concepts. The mine roller is the old MB models white metal and resin garage kit. It required more work than the whole rest of the model to clean up. Model is detailed with Royal Model PE and Resin set, Fruil tracks, Eureka tow cable, and an Evolution figure. Additional images can be found here: T-34/122
  26. This set is designed to be used on Eduard's MiG-21MF kits that were released last fall. The set consists of 6 resin parts - the two forward speed brakes, the large rear speed brake, two inserts for the forward speed brake bays, and the actuator for the rear speed brake. The rear speed brake and actuator are one for one replacements for the kit parts and offer nicely refined detail over the kit parts. read more View the full article
  27. This book is the second in a series on American prototypes and secret projects, the first on cargo aircraft. It covers many different aircraft from WWII types to right up till the early cold war. The authors were granted an unprecedented level of access to the various manufacturers' archives and the amount of information in the book really shows this! This book covers over 200 designs from the well-known to those beyond obscure. The book is broken down into nine chapters. The first is a brief overview of the last 80 years of airlift design and usage. The second chapter covers the design challenges facing aerospace engineers especially when the government demands were outpacing the technology. Everything from wing placement to cargo door size and placement are discussed. Many other factors such as carrying capacity and range are also covered, as are the advantages of prop, turboprop, and jet configurations both real and perceived. read more View the full article
  1. Load more activity