All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Ralph's comment to a certain extent may be passionate about how he feels. But has competition got to be the be all and end all for IPMS? Telford is an example of how competition and exhibition can go hand in hand without people feeling that they have to compete. Many Modellers are not bothered one jot about competition, yet the models they enjoy just exhibiting would do well in competition! There is room for both within IPMS. We have to ask ourselves if we are a modelling society promoting the hobby or a modelling competition society? Everyone was a novice to start with, and we should be reaching out to those people as well as more established hobbyists. I fear that IPMS is in danger of taking itself a bit too seriously at times.
  3. That's a beautiful plane and a wonderful tribute! My brother went to school in Steubenville. I'm thrilled to see this honoring someone from there.
  4. I haven't seen one yet. Usually Mark Aldritch supervises the photographers but if he's not attending the Nats, I would like to know who will be doing that.
  5. Good questions Gil, I'd love to know that too.
  6. Models are still "arts and crafts" but if they feel we aren't important than they are cutting off more than they believe.
  7. Thanks Mike. Have been lucky enough to avoid them so far but think you are correct. The bus is probably cheaper but takes over an hour to make the trip.
  8. Yesterday
  9. That's one pretty P-38! Love the NMF and the markings. Did you paint the d-Day stripes o the bottom, or are they decals? Congrats Bill, and thanks for sharing! GIL
  10. Model built for a Local Boy Scout Troop to Honor a local pilots service. P-38J from 394th FS of the 367 FG. Pilot perished in the channel on July 20 1944. Pilot was 1st Lt William L Mushrush from Steubenville OH Minecraft 1/48th P-38J with True Details interior, Eduard tires and Karaya gun barrels.The Aftermarket stuff way surpassed the Minicraft kit. Uschi Lines for antenna into a filament spring( Which you really can't see🙃) Alclad Polished Aluminum over Gloss Black Thanks for Looking Regards Bill D.
  11. BryanKrueger

Takom SMK

One was built. Immobilized by a mine during trials against Finland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMK_tank
  12. This was a bust I found on one of the announcement pages on FB. It's by Grimm. I tried looking for his info for this write up, but after an hr., I could find it. If I do I will make an edit and add it. The kit is one piece sculpt, very well done, in a gray resin - no bubbles, or seam marks. The figured reminded me of one of the villains in a Scooby-Doo cartoon, so decided to make him a ghost. Started with the black primer, and then was working on his navy colored coat. Then added a dark gray drybrush to the face, then added color to the barnicles, seeweed, and sweater. Another lighter gray - I want to make the glow coming from his face and OCL lighting on parts of the beard and coat. A little highlight to the coat and cap. I thought I took a pic of the ghostly glow, but didn't. The bluish,green glow color was made by drybrushing Citadel's Nihilakh Oxide where I needed it. I then highlighted that with V's Foundation White. I touch the Nihilakh Oxide and White to the rips in his coat to make it look like glow was coming out of them, and for a little added color. Thanks for looking.
  13. RGronovius

Takom SMK

what an interesting and odd looking tank. Did this exist or was it a paper panzer?
  14. BryanKrueger

JSU-203

Detail painting and first filters and wash. There is still a lot to do.
  15. Let me re-make a point here. Where is it written that a person MUST care if they win or lose at the contest? I know several people who attend, put the model on the table, and enjoy the rest of the convention without another thought about the contest. They enjoy looking at a roomful of models without it impacting their self-worth. Winning an award is gravy.
  16. BryanKrueger

Takom SMK

Well SMK my ass! Built mostly OOB. I didn't like the fender stowage wooden boxes and tools so I added boxes from the spares. Easy build. I worked on and off for about 5 weeks in between other projects. Wads of blue tack mask the wheel mounts. I always have better luck with gluing tracks to wheels at the start. When I leave rigid plastic tracks off and try to install last, I always run into fit issues because of paint layer build up.
  17. Has anyone issued a request for photographers yet and I just missed it?
  18. Move the emphasis from competition to exhibition. No contest, no "winner", no "losers", just a room full of models and modelers.
  19. Giving it away? More like answering to the stockholders. They're moving away from scale models and on to the crafts world.
  20. I learnt recent!y that Gerald Wingrove"s wife Phyllis is still alive and well, having moved back to the UK.
  21. Getting back to the PR problem this thread is about, global IPMS perception. We tend to think that just about everyone into plastic models knows about IPMS, and it is surprising how many do not! Many myths and misconceptions have arisen over the years. One is that many think we are an aircraft only society. Another is that the society is too full of nit picking rivet counting experts and nerds and perhaps feel a bit intimidated about making a membership enquiry at a!l. Maybe our passions run a bit high about rules and standards eff that we forget that there are many hobbyists out there who simply want to have a bit of fun out of the hobby whilst learning a bit more. Another problem is, how welcoming are we to someone new arriving at our local club nights. Do we make sure that they are welcomed, or remain in conversation with our little clique in the club blissfully ignoring someone who has just walked in and knows no one?
  22. How realistic a technique is done is a question of accuracy. Which is what I am saying, the two often go hand in hand. We may not judge how many rivets are accurate, or the shade of paint, but a big glue glob along the wing root is both poor craftmanship AND (generally) not accurate. However some glue globs in some places might be. Fogging around the edges of some canopies might also be accurate. My point is the builder needs to let the judges know if this is done deliberately. Encouraging more people to fill out the comments box is something which could pay us back with happier entrants and better informed judges. Dak
  23. IMHO, for the reasons you describe, too much or too little weathering shouldn't be a consideration when judging. The realism of the technique is what should be considered. If the modeler chooses a factory finish or rust dripping to the ground, what matters is how well (or not) it was done and how realistic (or not) the weathering looks.
  24. Last week
  25. History After Nakajima obtained a production license to manufacture Douglas DC-2 airliners in 1935, the Japanese airlines decided to sponsor the development of a smaller airplane to serve routes that they perceived the DC-2 to be too large for. The result was the development of the AT-1, an eight passenger twin engine aircraft which closely resembled a scaled-down DC-2. The prototype first flew in 1936, and was of all metal construction except for the control surfaces, which were plywood. Power was originally provided by Nakajima Kotobuki 2-1 radial engines of 580 hp. with fixed pitch wooden propellers. Production models used the Kotobuki 41, rated at 710 hp, with variable pitch metal props. These were designation AT-2. read more View the full article
  26. After acquiring the Pactra and Floquil brands then discontinuing them, and more lately discontinuing most of the Master Model enamel line, Testors has apparently decided to get out of the acrylic paint business as well. The following are the Testors acrylic paints listed for discontinuation, according to an email I received from one retailer: TES-4399 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic II Fantasy Figure Sullen Grey TES-4604 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Skin Tone Shadow Tint TES-4605 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Burnt Umber TES-4608 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Raw Sienna TES-4609 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic British Crimson TES-4611 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Cadmium Yellow Light TES-4612 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Cobalt Blue TES-4613 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Napoleonic Violet TES-4614 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic German Uniform Feldgrau TES-4625 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Clear Orange TES-4631 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Italian Red TES-4633 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Stop Light Red TES-4646 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Kandy Scarlet TES-4651 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Pearlescent Purple TES-4664 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Teal TES-4676 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Jet Exhaust TES-4687 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Blue Angel Blue TES-4691 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Navy Gloss Grey TES-4692 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Gloss Gull Grey TES-4693 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Aircraft Grey TES-4701 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi-Gloss White TES-4703 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Fluorescent Red TES-4707 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Earth Red TES-4708 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Field Drab TES-4722 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Random Tan (Radome Tan?) TES-4723 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic US Army Helo Drab TES-4727 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Green Drab TES-4729 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Euro I Dark Green TES-4739 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Pale Green TES-4742 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Insignia Blue TES-4744 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Intermediate Blue TES-4746 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Medium Grey TES-4749 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Engine Grey TES-4750 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Euro I Grey TES-4755 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Dark Gull Grey TES-4759 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Light Sea Grey TES-4766 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Camouflage Grey TES-4767 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Aircraft Interior Black TES-4770 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Grau TES-4771 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Gelb (Yellow) TES-4779 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Schwarzgrau TES-4780 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Schwarzgrun TES-4784 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Graugrun TES-4785 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Grauviolett TES-4786 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Lichtblau TES-4789 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Sandgelb TES-4805 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Panzer Interior Buff TES-4807 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Russian Armor Green TES-4812 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic US Army/Marine Gulf Armor Sand TES-4813 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic British Gulf Armor Light Stone TES-4840 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic RAF Sky Type S TES-4846 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Dark Earth TES-4849 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic RAF Dark Green TES-4850 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic RAF Interior Green TES-4851 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Yellow Zinc Chromate TES-4860 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Field Grey TES-4862 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Panzer Olive Green TES-4863 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Light Grey TES-4864 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Pale Blue Grey TES-4865 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Haze Grey TES-4866 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Ocean Grey TES-4867 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Navy Blue TES-4868 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Hull Red KMS TES-4869 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Dark Grey RN TES-4870 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Semi Gloss Light Grey RN TES-4871 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Black Detail Wash TES-4873 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Reefer White Flat TES-4874 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Aged White Flat TES-4877 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Earth Flat TES-4879 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Reefer Yellow Flat TES-4880 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Caboose Red Flat TES-4881 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Boxcar Red Flat TES-4882 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Oxide Red Flat TES-4883 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Signal Green Flat TES-4884 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Roof Brown Flat TES-4886 1/2oz. Bottle Model Master Acrylic Reefer Grey Flat
  1. Load more activity