All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Between April to October of 2018, several F-15Es from the 494th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron (the "Panthers") deployed to an undisclosed location in the Middle East to support Coalition Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve, tasked with striking Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria. While deployed, the Panthers completed nearly 2,000 missions, over 10,000 flying hours, employing more than 500 precision-guided munitions in support of US Central Command operations. On their return to Lakenheath at the end of the deployment, the aircraft were seen sporting some very striking nose art and mission markings. Since 2001, TwoBobs decals has built up a reputation for high-quality, well-researched and detailed decal sheets with a focus on modern US aircraft. This decal sheet focuses on some of the more prominent Panthers from the OIR deployment. The airframes on this sheet are: read more View the full article
  3. I've been to a number of conventions and never found one to be less than satisfactory, or less than very enjoyable for that matter. Every convention had its problems, some with problems that were rather severe. All but a very few handled those problems and their Leadership Teams deserve a "well done" for addressing those issues. Of all of the conventions I've attended I found that the Chattanooga crew, led by Mike Moore, was the most enjoyable convention I've attended as a participant. And looking at those conventions in which I volunteered to take a duty station, I found the Chattanooga crew, Mike Moore, Tim Simmons, and Ed Sunder, to be excellent leaders and coordinators. Congrats to Mike and his team for an excellent experience!
  4. Opening the package of decals you will find two large sheets of beautifully printed markings for no less than nine Corsairs These aircraft include mostly F4U-1A's with markings for two F4U-1D's and one late war FG-1D. There is no instruction booklet included in the package. However going to the Fundekals website you can download the instruction booklet as a PDF file. I call this an instruction booklet as it is comprised of 24 pages of Color and B&W illustrations and photographs of each of the aircraft covered on the sheet. Also in the booklet are precise instructions pointing out the various differences in each of the covered aircraft. A detailed history of each covered aircraft and its pilot is included. A really nice touch was a page covering the various different antenna arrangements. Covering, as they say, "Some stuff you might not have known". Another page explains "New research on insignia colors in the Solomons. 1943-1944". read more View the full article
  5. This tome is the second in this new series, Single. This series format consists of a 4-view colour profile, scale plans, and photo details of a single variant; in this case the PZL P.11c. MMPBooks are distributed in North America by Casemate Publications. You won't find an introduction or background summary, as this series dives straight into the drawings, illustrations, and photographs. Artur Juszczak has illustrated over forty books for MMP. Some of these titles include the following: Boulton Paul Defiant (MMP Yellow 6117); Hurricane Ace Josef Frantisek: The True Story (MMP Blue 9); Henschel Hs 123 (MMP Orange 8114); and Fighters over France and Low Countries (MMP Red 4). read more View the full article
  6. If most of the OOB categories were eliminated, those categories could be changed to allow a broader range of entries. Dak
  7. Many thanks and congrats to the whole 'club', Mike! Having worked the four conventions here in Tidewater (aka 'Virginia Beach'), I really appreciate how you "guys" did an outstanding job. I also appreciated the opportunity to help the vendors Wednesday morning, it kept me busy and it was fun! Seeing a lot of old friends, meeting new ones and taking in a whole lot of great models really helped to recharge the creative 'juices'. And isn't that the whole point? I look forward to seeing you all again in 2025 (six year rule!) In the meantime, have a 'Naked River' Moonpie Stout for me! Regards, Robert Beach
  8. “Yes” it is obsolete, at least in terms of the original objective. Modern kits make it downright silly. (An Eduard Profipack Kit is eligible, but the same Weekend addition kit, with the addition of just some of the same Eduard accessories is not! ). Most of the clubs around here have dropped it. Of the six contests held each year in this area, I can only think of one still holding on to OOB in any form. It seems to me that, at the Nationals level, anyways, the primary benefit today for all the OOB categories is to significantly increase the number of categories, and hence, awards given out. Taken to an extreme, how many people would bother to enter if we only had 5 aircraft categories to give the current out 1-2-3 awards in? ( I know this is a perfect segue to the GSB debate- but that topic has already been beaten to death elsewhere.) I’ve never been to a Nationals- I was a bit surprised to hear there are no Vignette categories there. All the local shows have them, and they seem to be popular. IMO, it is a great way to dip your toe into the Diorama pool. But adding vignettes categories would not be enough to replace all the OOB categories getting eliminated- you ‘d need other new ones to fill the gaps.
  9. While this is basically true, the reality is often in favor of more and nicer detail. Most people want to do the nicest model they can and that means picking a "better" kit to start with. This is precisely my point; things have changed and the original intent is no longer valid. Certainly, beautiful kits can be trashed and poor kits turned into fine art, but it all rests on the skill of the builder. That is true in every category. I think the OOB categories no longer reflect the changing modeling scene. People are wanting to do scenes which contain more than allowed in the main categories and not so much that they are strong dioramas. Dak
  10. Yesterday
  11. I have to say I was intrigued by this model offered by Brengun that would a great piece to add with your Japanese ground-based aircraft display base. My hopes are that I will eventually have an opportunity to try the 1/48 scale version of this accessory. J Typical with Brengun's other releases they provide the end user with some extremely nicely cast parts molded in a darkish grey resin. If there were any imperfections, they were not noticeable to my eye. I found the parts delicate buy not fragile. The resin was reasonably pliable making removal from the pour stubs easily achievable with a little patience. I can't overstress to double; triple and quadruple check the instructions before removing the parts. My extinguisher nozzle assembly runs a bit shorter than it should L read more View the full article
  12. Perhaps the objective of the category should be reviewed.Whether the OOB category should be eliminated depends on the objective. If the objective is to create a different (i.e., constrained) challenge for the best modelers, it should stay. However, with kits like some of Eduard’s “ultimate” kits that include substantial resin and photoetch, for aircraft anyway, it may seem redundant. If the objective is to offer a more “beginner-friendly” category, it should probably be eliminated and replaced by a category for those who have not previously won awards. If the objective is to offer a less costly category to compete in, again, it should probably be eliminated. My observation as a judge is there is little correlation between kit cost and winning awards. I have seen horrible, cheap kits built into stunning models as well as expensive, latest-technology kits built into so-so models.
  13. " Would a Lindberg Ju-88 stand a chance against a modern version? " Absolutely! The models are all judged by the same "basics" criteria. An older, less detailed model would be far less likely to have errors than a far more detailed and complicated model. The skill of the modeler will always win out in the end, which is the purpose of OOB. And don't give me that; "What if they were both perfect" stuff, because everyone knows that ain't gonna happen.
  14. I don't know, with most modern kits available, it seems to be more of a case of picking a well detailed model, than actually doing a superb job. Would a Lindberg Ju-88 stand a chance against a modern version? Yes, I there is always a chance, but realistically? I find I build almost exclusively OOB these days because the kits have almost everything I need. My two winners at Chattanooga were virtually OOB. But, would not newer categories also attract entries? There are a lot of people doing vignettes with no clear category for them. You either build bare bones or risk ending up in dioramas. From what I saw this year, some distinct vignette categories would see a lot of entries. Hard to prove. Hard to disprove. True, just picking a well detailed kit doesn't mean you are automatically going to win, but if you are a competent builder, it does give you an edge. Except every one else is also using something similar, so the category is rarely more than just another subject category. Dak
  15. I made a video (with the assistance of my talented son) of a tutorial on how to cut open panels on model aircraft. You can do this if you plan on opening panels on a model to detail the interior of an aircraft panel. I made this while opening the wing panels on my P-47D build to show the ammunition bays in the wing. Check out the video in the Tips and Tricks section. https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/cutting-open-panels-on-aircraft-models/
  16. Robin, you're correct. Monogram produced a 1/48th B-24J during the 80s and it is still a very good kit. Shep Paine did a series of color sheets for a number of Monogram kits at that time and the B-24 was one of them. That's why I'm hoping someone has a scrapped or unwanted built kit that still has the canopy so I can finish this metal B-24 for my client and get it back to him.
  17. This week’s update covers the landing gear bays and the landing gear. The bays were detailed with the photo etch side panels and cables/lines. The tail wheel was then painted and installed. I used the photo etch doors for the tail wheel. The main gear was then detailed and painted along with a couple of kit decals for the landing gear placards. Some photo etch details were added to the fuselage and I started the base coat of paint on the bottom and the ID stripes on the tail and stabilizers. Working on painting the base coat of the invasion stripes on the lower fuselage and wings then I will be starting the decals. All details and photos can be seen in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-p-47d-thunderbolt-bubbletop/
  18. I built that kit a very long time ago, or at least a Monogram B-24 Liberator of some mark. I know it had a Shep Paine sheet and he had made his into a formation plane with a white paint job and polka dots. I'm not sure if the same kit still exists, but I figured I'd point you in the direction of at least an option for a canopy.
  19. Say what you want about OOB but I contend it is the most difficult category to win. Yes, kit selection is quite important, but the fact that you can't wow anyone with the extra effort and still have to nail your basic skills on every aspect of the model is a challenge all unto itself. Yes, models have evolved and so have modelers. It is no longer about building a crappy model to perfection, it is still about a very level playing field. Everyone has a shot at any kit and is limited to what is in the kit. The only way to make it more fair would be to select a single kit for all.
  20. Greetings from the "Queen City of the West", Cincinnati, OH. I build any thing that appeals to me in any scale, any material. At the moment I am assembling a U Gears Mono Wheel. It is made from laser cut plywood and goes together without glue. It will be rubber band powered when finished. I have an estimated 1800 plastic models in my "stash". I have been buying since 1973 with very little selling. One of these days I will get all of the boxes into one place and sorted. Well, that is my plan for the coming year.
  21. Where bouts in MS? I am from Jackson, but now live in Cincinnati.
  22. To answer the question posed by the thread's title................. No.
  23. Last week
  24. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out, though I still would like to acquire an injected canopy from the Monogram kit, mainly because the B-24 I'm working on is metal.
  25. HISTORY: There were numerous experiments involving jet propulsion for aircraft just prior to the outbreak of World War II, with Germany, Britain, and Italy leading the way. The United States, the Soviet Union, and Japan were somewhat late in starting, but by the end of the war, only the Russians and the Japanese had failed to fly a jet powered prototype, and Germany, Britain, and the United States had begun to produce actual jet fighters, with Germany and Britain in the lead. This text, the second in the series by Osprey, covers the Gloster, Heinkel, and Caproni prototypes. Osprey's previous book, X-Planes, Luftwaffe Emergency Fighters, covers most of the Luftwaffe developments, although none of these types reached actual production. read more View the full article
  26. As long as a category is entered in sufficient numbers, it serves a true purpose. The National Contest Committee, in a sense, does not make the decision. They quite properly let the membership determine the desirability of a category based on participation. When the numbers drop off, a category is deleted. Nick
  27. HISTORY : Osprey has published a series of books offering comparisons of competing combat aircraft of World Wars I and II, and they offer specific information on how the planes fared against each other in combat. The author brings out the fact that a combat airplane not only has technological factors to consider, but also the skill and training of the pilots as well as the development of tactics suitable for the combat situation. The best airplane flown by an inexperienced pilot might well be at a great disadvantage against a combat veteran flying a less sophisticated type. With this in mind, the author covers the subject in such a way as to give the reader a very good impression of the factors affecting combat between the types. In addition, the author brings out the fact that these types also fought against other types, but the emphasis is on the major aircraft in question, in this case the Tempest Mk. V and the Focke Wulf FW-190D-9. read more View the full article
  1. Load more activity