All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Right now I think its running smoothly... buuuut... as soon as I say that things slow down. Eric
  3. You're not alone; I'm having the same problem. I thought at first it was my ISP (TimeWarner/Spectrum), but this is the only site I frequent that seems to have got stuck in a vat of molasses.
  4. Monogram Snark on a Monogram Regulus trailer. Pat D
  5. It's definitely not resin. I'm thinking that I've erred in thinking the Snark belongs on this trailer, even though the fit seems to be really good.
  6. Another point ( I can’t let go of this thing!) all the kits either with trailers or on launchers are pretty good representation of the real thing. Dick’s model’s trailer does not look anything like that in any photo of the real Snark. I think the trailer does not belong with the missile. To solve the mystery, we need to identify the source of the trailer.
  7. Scalemates also lists these additional Snark kits: Ventavia (1/100) Sanwa (1/160) Monogram (1/128); included in the United States Missile Arsenal (PD40-298), Model Missile Packet (MP-2), and Missile Mobile (PD-43) kits, but these did not have a trailer.
  8. A friend of mine has suggested it is the Sharkit 1/72 kit, but the Sharkit Snark does not include a trailer. Sharkits are resin; is this heavy enough to be resin? See here for Sharkit info: https://sharkit.com/sharkit/Snark/snark.htm
  9. Hey, Dick, I posted a coupla pix on Hyperscale. Maybe some of those guys have a clue, 'cause I sure don't.
  10. Dick’s model has a “USAF SNARK” on the nose. If you look at pictures of the box art of all these kits, only the Mongram kit has that marking. The arrangement of the white stripes is almost the same as the Monogram kit. If Dick’s model is small scale (c. 1/135 scale) could it be some combination of the Monogram kit and a different trailer. It is worth noting that the missile is pointed backwards on the trailer. The Lindbergh and Monogram kits have it pointed forward. Is it fake? Cobbled together?
  11. John Burn’s “ Plastic Aircraft Kits of the 20th Century” while exhaustive, covers only manned aircraft kits. Specifically, the listings for Northrop do not mention any Snark kits. So that is a dead end. Looking at Dick’s model, and comparing it to images of the Lindbergh kit, it is apparent that there are differences in the markings. So both Snark and trailer are something entirely different. Dick, did you calculate the exact scale?
  12. Yesterday
  13. Additional pics.... The kit is in my possession. I'm thinking that the transporter trailer may actually be from a different kit but the fit between the Snark and the trailer are perfect. There's a locating pin/hole combo on the underside of the Snark that matches precisely with a pin on the trailer.
  14. I recently scored a kit with an MSRP of $169.99 for under $15 delivered. Guys from my model club in Louisville posted about some deep discounts on Dragon kits at Dragon USA. While the kit they were discussing was a 1/6th scale Panzer II normally $350 for $16 and discounted to $10 after using their Father's Day code, I searched other mistakenly discounted kits. I found the Dragon Iron Man Age of Ultron Mark XLIII kit listed for $10 and change; $7.18 after the 35% off discount code. With shipping, a whopping $14.82 delivered. Others tried to order the giant tank and one guy tried to order Iron Man, but their orders were cancelled. By the time they posted their orders were cancelled, I got a shipping notice. It arrived a two days later. By the time it arrived, the price had risen to $101.99. http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DRA38155
  15. Here's a few acquisitions that I got from the recent San Diego Model Contest. First a couple purchases... This was something I got from a guy selling all these rare things. I got them for $2.50 each; does anyone remember the Snap-a-roos: I already started building one. Some of them are close enough to 1/72 scale that I could use them. I got this from the Rare Plane Detective: That was five bucks. In addition, he gave me these two which he was going to toss out if they weren't claimed. So, I claimed them: It's hard to see what that is but it's a resin kit of what I think is an 0-1 Bird Dog. Not real sure though. The other one was the Widgeon that I already started: This next item I got much later; it had just come in a couple days ago. This is the cross I got to replace the anemic thing given in the Italeri Church Kit: Now my church looks very Irish. I like it! These following kits are all raffle prizes I got from San Diego: That one above comes with a pre-painted body that I think is die cast: Another Testor's Quick Build: Finally, I somehow managed to win the last Grand Prize: Trumpeter's 1/16 scale T-34/85 model! Here it is: Of course, everyone had to mention to me that it isn't in my scale, So, I replied that maybe I would build it anyway and hinge the hull so I could use it as a carrying case for all my small scale models that I bring to a show. LOL! That's all I have for now. Enjoy!
  16. I've got a house full of grandkids for the next several hours but when time permits I'll shoot a few additional pics. The kit is in my possession. I acquired it when I handled an estate sale many years ago. I'm thinking that the transporter trailer may actually be from a different kit but the fit between the Snark and the trailer are perfect. There's a locating pin/hole combo on the underside of the Snark that matches precisely with a pin on the trailer.
  17. I googled “ plastic Snark kits.” I found two more. ( They may both be from the same mold. They are both the same scale- 1/135.) Comet and Kleerware are the brands. Kleerware apparently had a reputation for re-issuing others companies kits. But the kits are very simple- at least based on the pictures of them. They consist of just the missile and a very simple launch cradle. The plot thickens. Dick, is this a photo of a kit in your possession or a photo of someone else’s? Could we see additional images? Could it be a scratch built trailer? Perhaps a trailer modified from another kit?
  18. It is, indeed, a mystery. If needed, I can provide additional images.
  19. It’s not the Lindbergh kit. The trailer is not the same. Most obviously, it doesn’t have enough wheels. For the same reasons, it is not the Monogram kit. The Revell kit is not mounted on wheeled trailer. (This can easily be checked by googling these kits if you do not have them in your stash.) It would appear to be a kit unknown to us all. I will check my plastic kit directory tonight. I love these mystery detective adventures in our hobby. I offer a first prize/ no prize to the first person to solve this. Nick Filippone
  20. Thanks Ron. My initial "research" (a 4 minute shallow dive into Lake Google) indicated it was most likely Lindberg.
  21. Dick, If it's 1/48, it's probably the one by Lindberg. On the internet, the kit goes for around $30-$50 bucks, or at least that's what they ask. Who knows what they actually get. Revell had one but it was on the launcher and was 1/72 or there-a-bouts.
  22. Looking good there, Gil. I have 1 in my stash planning to mark it as a bird from Heavy 7. Just ordered the Nautilus support set. May have to move the Vigilante up in my build order.
  23. Fantastic looking model as always Gil. Love the paint scheme.
  24. Finished the Trumpy Vigi this evening. The build was more enjoyable than I anticipated, with the fit being a little better than expected. I used the Nautilus laser-cut wood re-enforcement set for the interior, since Trumpeter designed it with the traditional left/right half fuselages, which leaves the top and bottom center seams weak if not beefed up somehow. I also used a Black Box resin interior I had for it. It fit almost like a glove. The only adjustment to it was to make it mesh properly with the Trumpeter nose gear well, which had to be removed from the kit cockpit structure. The wing fold is a kit option, as are the deflected leading and trailing edge flaps. One of the major drawbacks to the kit is a lack of intake trunking....Trumpeter provides two complete engines, but they just "sit" in the fuselage interior with nothing leading into each of the engine fronts. I left the engines out and added plastic card intake covers. That meant I had to do so cutting and fitting of the engines to install the rear halves of the engine exhausts so they'd fit within the Nautilus supports; but that wasn't difficult, and also allowed me to paint and add the burner cans at the end of the build. I used MM enamels for the gloss white and 36440 Gull Gray. The metal leading edges were done with Alclad. The weathering was done with a wash made from Mig pigments dissolved in water with a drop of dish washing soap. The panel lines were done with a brown colored pencil. I used some Two Bobs decals that came with the very first issue of Aerospace Modeler magazine back in 2005. The markings are for a Vigilante based out of Albany, Ga @1970; just a few years before I lived there. Rumor had it that the Vigilante pilots would take back to back tours of sea duty just to avoid going back to small town "Allbenny"....Anyway....on to the pics! Now I have the recce RA-5C to go along with my A-5A Viglante bomber conversion I did years ago. Questions, comments, and critiques welcome as always. Cheers! GIL
  25. Anyone know which manufacturer produced this Snark? Note that the "base" is actually a transport trailer and not the launch pad, itself. Any help is appreciated.
  1. Load more activity