All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. While this is basically true, the reality is often in favor of more and nicer detail. Most people want to do the nicest model they can and that means picking a "better" kit to start with. This is precisely my point; things have changed and the original intent is no longer valid. Certainly, beautiful kits can be trashed and poor kits turned into fine art, but it all rests on the skill of the builder. That is true in every category. I think the OOB categories no longer reflect the changing modeling scene. People are wanting to do scenes which contain more than allowed in the main categories and not so much that they are strong dioramas. Dak
  3. Yesterday
  4. I have to say I was intrigued by this model offered by Brengun that would a great piece to add with your Japanese ground-based aircraft display base. My hopes are that I will eventually have an opportunity to try the 1/48 scale version of this accessory. J Typical with Brengun's other releases they provide the end user with some extremely nicely cast parts molded in a darkish grey resin. If there were any imperfections, they were not noticeable to my eye. I found the parts delicate buy not fragile. The resin was reasonably pliable making removal from the pour stubs easily achievable with a little patience. I can't overstress to double; triple and quadruple check the instructions before removing the parts. My extinguisher nozzle assembly runs a bit shorter than it should L read more View the full article
  5. Perhaps the objective of the category should be reviewed.Whether the OOB category should be eliminated depends on the objective. If the objective is to create a different (i.e., constrained) challenge for the best modelers, it should stay. However, with kits like some of Eduard’s “ultimate” kits that include substantial resin and photoetch, for aircraft anyway, it may seem redundant. If the objective is to offer a more “beginner-friendly” category, it should probably be eliminated and replaced by a category for those who have not previously won awards. If the objective is to offer a less costly category to compete in, again, it should probably be eliminated. My observation as a judge is there is little correlation between kit cost and winning awards. I have seen horrible, cheap kits built into stunning models as well as expensive, latest-technology kits built into so-so models.
  6. " Would a Lindberg Ju-88 stand a chance against a modern version? " Absolutely! The models are all judged by the same "basics" criteria. An older, less detailed model would be far less likely to have errors than a far more detailed and complicated model. The skill of the modeler will always win out in the end, which is the purpose of OOB. And don't give me that; "What if they were both perfect" stuff, because everyone knows that ain't gonna happen.
  7. I don't know, with most modern kits available, it seems to be more of a case of picking a well detailed model, than actually doing a superb job. Would a Lindberg Ju-88 stand a chance against a modern version? Yes, I there is always a chance, but realistically? I find I build almost exclusively OOB these days because the kits have almost everything I need. My two winners at Chattanooga were virtually OOB. But, would not newer categories also attract entries? There are a lot of people doing vignettes with no clear category for them. You either build bare bones or risk ending up in dioramas. From what I saw this year, some distinct vignette categories would see a lot of entries. Hard to prove. Hard to disprove. True, just picking a well detailed kit doesn't mean you are automatically going to win, but if you are a competent builder, it does give you an edge. Except every one else is also using something similar, so the category is rarely more than just another subject category. Dak
  8. I made a video (with the assistance of my talented son) of a tutorial on how to cut open panels on model aircraft. You can do this if you plan on opening panels on a model to detail the interior of an aircraft panel. I made this while opening the wing panels on my P-47D build to show the ammunition bays in the wing. Check out the video in the Tips and Tricks section. https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/cutting-open-panels-on-aircraft-models/
  9. Robin, you're correct. Monogram produced a 1/48th B-24J during the 80s and it is still a very good kit. Shep Paine did a series of color sheets for a number of Monogram kits at that time and the B-24 was one of them. That's why I'm hoping someone has a scrapped or unwanted built kit that still has the canopy so I can finish this metal B-24 for my client and get it back to him.
  10. This week’s update covers the landing gear bays and the landing gear. The bays were detailed with the photo etch side panels and cables/lines. The tail wheel was then painted and installed. I used the photo etch doors for the tail wheel. The main gear was then detailed and painted along with a couple of kit decals for the landing gear placards. Some photo etch details were added to the fuselage and I started the base coat of paint on the bottom and the ID stripes on the tail and stabilizers. Working on painting the base coat of the invasion stripes on the lower fuselage and wings then I will be starting the decals. All details and photos can be seen in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-p-47d-thunderbolt-bubbletop/
  11. I built that kit a very long time ago, or at least a Monogram B-24 Liberator of some mark. I know it had a Shep Paine sheet and he had made his into a formation plane with a white paint job and polka dots. I'm not sure if the same kit still exists, but I figured I'd point you in the direction of at least an option for a canopy.
  12. Say what you want about OOB but I contend it is the most difficult category to win. Yes, kit selection is quite important, but the fact that you can't wow anyone with the extra effort and still have to nail your basic skills on every aspect of the model is a challenge all unto itself. Yes, models have evolved and so have modelers. It is no longer about building a crappy model to perfection, it is still about a very level playing field. Everyone has a shot at any kit and is limited to what is in the kit. The only way to make it more fair would be to select a single kit for all.
  13. Greetings from the "Queen City of the West", Cincinnati, OH. I build any thing that appeals to me in any scale, any material. At the moment I am assembling a U Gears Mono Wheel. It is made from laser cut plywood and goes together without glue. It will be rubber band powered when finished. I have an estimated 1800 plastic models in my "stash". I have been buying since 1973 with very little selling. One of these days I will get all of the boxes into one place and sorted. Well, that is my plan for the coming year.
  14. Where bouts in MS? I am from Jackson, but now live in Cincinnati.
  15. To answer the question posed by the thread's title................. No.
  16. Last week
  17. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out, though I still would like to acquire an injected canopy from the Monogram kit, mainly because the B-24 I'm working on is metal.
  18. HISTORY: There were numerous experiments involving jet propulsion for aircraft just prior to the outbreak of World War II, with Germany, Britain, and Italy leading the way. The United States, the Soviet Union, and Japan were somewhat late in starting, but by the end of the war, only the Russians and the Japanese had failed to fly a jet powered prototype, and Germany, Britain, and the United States had begun to produce actual jet fighters, with Germany and Britain in the lead. This text, the second in the series by Osprey, covers the Gloster, Heinkel, and Caproni prototypes. Osprey's previous book, X-Planes, Luftwaffe Emergency Fighters, covers most of the Luftwaffe developments, although none of these types reached actual production. read more View the full article
  19. As long as a category is entered in sufficient numbers, it serves a true purpose. The National Contest Committee, in a sense, does not make the decision. They quite properly let the membership determine the desirability of a category based on participation. When the numbers drop off, a category is deleted. Nick
  20. HISTORY : Osprey has published a series of books offering comparisons of competing combat aircraft of World Wars I and II, and they offer specific information on how the planes fared against each other in combat. The author brings out the fact that a combat airplane not only has technological factors to consider, but also the skill and training of the pilots as well as the development of tactics suitable for the combat situation. The best airplane flown by an inexperienced pilot might well be at a great disadvantage against a combat veteran flying a less sophisticated type. With this in mind, the author covers the subject in such a way as to give the reader a very good impression of the factors affecting combat between the types. In addition, the author brings out the fact that these types also fought against other types, but the emphasis is on the major aircraft in question, in this case the Tempest Mk. V and the Focke Wulf FW-190D-9. read more View the full article
  21. When Out-Of-The-Box was started in the late 1970s, there were a lot of kits that needed work to be competitive, so it made sense to have way for those who just wanted to do a nice looking model without having to super detail a kit, to compete. However, it is now 40 years on and the quality of kits has dramatically changed. So, I have to think we are perhaps past the point where OOB serves a true purpose. I now hear people talking about picking a well detailed kit for the OOB category and I never see anyone doing old Aurora kits OOB. Perhaps it would be better to dump OOB categories and change those to categories like a true vignette category. Dak
  22. The cost of a room is actually $89.00 plus $25 resort fee. Total is $114 for the entire week. The weekends are NOT a higher price. We negotiated a discount in the resort fee to $25.00 from $30.00. Thanks for your question and hope to see you in 21'.
  23. Accommodations: 2,200 All-Suite Rooms @ $113.00 per night (including resort tax) for all nights. Does this mean the $32.00/day resort fee is included, or just the actual room tax?
  24. Chris, I have this sheet. You are welcome to it. Please PM me with your mailing address and I will get it on the mail to you as soon as I can. Regards, Nick Filippone
  25. There's squadron's vacuformed canopies https://www.squadron.com/1-48-Squadron-Canopies-B-24J-Liberator-Canopies-p/sq9571.htm
  26. The Russian T-54 and T-55 are without doubt the single most ubiquitous tank designs ever produced, having served in literally every theater of war since their initial design work back in the 1950's. As such, they deserve a special place in any modern armor enthusiast's collection. This book helps iron out some of the details for the detail conscious. I must admit I was somewhat surprised as to the scope of the book when I first cracked the cover. Like most modelers, I've always used the terms T-54 and T-55 fairly interchangeably, as externally there are so few differences between the makes. I think I expected this book to treat them in the same manner. Instead, this book runs right into the process of creating the T-55 FROM the T-54 and never looks back. read more View the full article
  27. If you're a serious figure modeler and have a thing for the incredibly colorful and resplendent uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars, this book from the series should get your attention. One of a range of large-format books by this publisher, it's a virtual cornucopia of detail and information regarding the artillery arm of the French Army from 1786 through 1815, when Napoleon met his own "Waterloo." The entire book is in French and offers no subtitles, although this won't be much of a deterrent to any serious modeler as the book is almost exclusively color plates anyway. These cover literally every aspect of the French Artillery arm including ALL uniforms, equipment and ordnance. If you have access to the excellent Historex range of kits, much of what you find in this book will be reproducible, including the forges, wagons, and other equipment used, plus a lot of stuff I'd never seen before. I didn't know, for instance, that the artillery arm made pontoon bridges. Fascinating! read more View the full article
  1. Load more activity