All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi all, As both a modeller and a bookseller, I have a special interest in acquiring (for resale) military modelling/history related books. Typically, I am looking for buys of a hundred plus books or more (for some higher end titles I can be flexible on that). I am in the greater Chicagoland area so typically would be looking for books within, say 50 miles of Chicago; however, for the right collection I would be willing to travel further. Reply to this thread if interested in discussing further. Thanks much! Best, Thom
  3. Hi all, Just joined IPMS. I do not belong to a local group yet, but should be making that happen soon. I build 1/72 scale armor, typically trying to add at least a bit of scratch built detail into each kit. It's been awhile since my last build. One of the reasons I joined was to try to get myself back to it. Best, Thom
  4. Today
  5. Actually, you have to be able to explain your choice to someone ... the head category judge, for example. I offer that no two models are equal and that an experienced judge can note and cite differences between them. I have yet to see the perfect model. The challenge is not, IMHO, when discriminating between two very good models, but between 2 or 3 or 4 models with multiple problems. The best of best is relatively easy, the best of the worst is tough.
  6. Well, I guess this settles it. I suppose one could discern these traits from the models they constructed.
  7. Finally finished. This by far, was the best kit I've EVER built. My hat goes off to all the folks at Tamiya for putting together a fantastic kit. The fit of all the parts was simply amazing. If you like Mustangs like I do, you need to go out and pick up this kit. Regards Christopher.
  8. Yesterday
  9. 👍👍👍👍👍
  10. Bradley25mm

Stubo II

I’ve never seen this aircraft before. Looks great. Your base is awesome. Regards Christopher
  11. Here's my latest scores I got. I got these at my local So Cal AMPS meeting where they were having their semi-annual kit auction. This was the first one I'd been to and of course, I was flat broke! Still a friend offered to buy me what I wanted and I'd pay him back from the proceeds of my latest job that I just finished. These are the items I wanted to buy that he got for me. First was a paint rack. Here it is all assembled: I don't have much in the way of Vallejo paints, but I'll make this work. The only model that really screamed at me was this one: Modelcollect's 1/72 scale BMP-3 that I'd had on my list for awhile. Finally I got one: Now here's where it gets interesting. These So Cal AMPS guys are the best around! Three other AMPS members also purchased a number of 1/72 scale kits that they then passed on to me as gifts! Here is the haul from all these generous people! First is these two boxes. They both contain two complete helicopter kits inside each box: One of each will be made into alternate helicopters for the "In Another World" campaign on the Modeler's Alliance.... Next were these three kits, a Revell and two ancient ESCI kits: Finally there were all these Airfix and Matchbox kits: The M-19 will be made Israeli, and the Monty's Caravan truck will be converted to a cargo truck since I already have the whole Monty's Caravan set already built.... with a full interior! I have a few other ideas for all the rest as well. Thanks again to all the generous AMPS guys in my club! What a magnificent group they are!
  12. Here she is, my latest model finished this month. This is the Monogram 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters finally completed. I did her up as the Columbia: This model is over two feet tall. I placed a 12" ruler next to this model to show how big this is: This thing had been a problem sitting on my workbench for the longest time. I'm so thrilled to have finished it! Now I have a different problem: Where am I gonna put this?
  13. I have a tapatalk account and have been a regular on Hyperscale. I posted as late as yesterday with no issues. Today, however, it's a different story. Not even my email address is recognized.
  14. Thanks Kevin! I appreciate that. Thanks to some sharp-eyed members on here and another Forums who noticed a major mistake I'd made, I took some time to get this fixed. Here is the corrected model all finished... properly now: Now that this is truly done, I'll be making arrangements for delivery here. Thanks again everyone!
  15. It's been a slow week for me so here's a small update on what I got done at Hobby Day. I'll start with my armor. The Italian Trattore had a missing cab which I finally found. I quickly got this glued into place on the chassis before I lost it again: Later I'll be adding the windows and gloss coat for decals. Moving on, I got the last resin parts added to the M-51 turret: I then added all the resin stowage parts to the left side of the tank: Had to wait for that to dry before I could go do the other side.... Since I was doing an Israeli vehicle, the next project I worked on was the Nagmachon. I got all the suspension parts on as well as some other detail parts. I had also started to fill those crazy gaps: Gonna refine those fills later. Meanwhile, I pulled out my Centurion tank and added all the photo-etch on the hull: I also finished all the detail parts and the turret stowage basket on the Italian Centauro: Now this one is ready for all the photo etch parts. After this, I started two more small vehicles; hoping to get a few more 'easy' projects done. This first one is the T-Models M-1114 armored HUMVEE. The suspension was finally done after several puzzling test fits on each of the 20+ parts just to figure out what the instructions were trying to tell me: That was so difficult I stopped there; reminiscing on the simplicity of the Dragon suspension assembly! The next project I started was another of the ACE Digital design kits: the V-100 armored car. They had me start with the tiny turret. I placed an Exacto blade next to it so you could see how tiny this is: Next was the sparse interior which wasn't going to be seen anyway: After that, I turned it over to add the suspension: With all that done, there was nothing left to do but close up the hull: Finally the last thing I worked on was the Space Shuttle Shelf Queen. I started out with what I felt was the hardest part: scratchbuilding a forward bracket for the front of the Shuttle. I tried to make this in such a way that the Shuttle would be able to 'snap' into place so I could remove it from the fuel tank for transport. This is also why I made it a bit longer than the lower one: Also, the vertical tail comes off for transport. Now it fits in one of my flat tubs. With a little finagling, I was successful with that forward bracket; this beastie snaps into place well. After that, I finished painting and detailing the exhaust bells and then mounted them on the shuttle. They actually have more steel-colored metal showing which the pic does not reflect. The copper colored appearance was my attempt to make these look like they'd been weathered/burned in a previous launch: Finally, I unmasked the windscreen and upper windows and touched up the edges: I could finally call this Shelf Queen done! Eventually, I will finish the payloads that came with this model so I can lay them out as a display around the base of this shuttle. Okay, that's completes this tour of the plant! Thanks all for coming in, comments are always welcome.
  16. ghodges

Stubo II

That's a sharp looking build of an absolutely odd-ball aircraft! What was it supposed to be used for, if it had gone into production? Congrats. and thanks for sharing! GIL
  17. Was everything ok over the last couple of days when you went there? If so, then I don't know why the sudden problem. I jst went there with no problems myself. But, IF you haven't been there in a month or more, Brett switched to TAPATALK for his servers (no more Network 54) a few months back, and just about 2 weeks ago Tapatalk essentially took the people they "knew about" (those signed in regularly) and assigned them new accounts. They had been asking everyone to set up a new account with them for a month or more, but those who didn't (like myself) were evidently simply grandfathered in under our old account names. HOWEVER, they did post that if for some reason your user name and/or password was already taken, you'd have to create a new account with them. Also, I believe if you were not active there when they actually made the final account changes, then perhaps you were overlooked. If all else fails, try creating a new account with Tapatalk and see if they solves things. Hope this helps! GIL
  18. Roktman

Stubo II

This was a model I've wanted to get out of my stack for a while. The Stubo II is a Fantastic Plastic offering, that comes back in stock every once in a while. It's another one of the German WW2 planes that never made it off the drawing board. I *really* like this genre! 🙂 The kit comes in 14 parts including a seat and stick, which you'll never see, and I left out. The canopy is clear but following the directions, the majority of it gets painted. Being cast by Anigrand, you know you are getting a good kit. As usual, the parts went together with minimal effort. One thing I noticed with this kit is if the fuselage holes don't match the pins in the wings - swap the wings, don't clip the pins. They are made to fit only to one side. Cool idea! A lil seam filling. The process continued effortlessly, and a coat of white paint, for the fuselage, and V. Game Color Gory Red, was the shade of red I chose. Then it was time for the decals. The decals went on just as effortless as the rest of the build. After a short wait the Micro-Sol went on and suck the decals into all the panel lines perfectly. It was here that I noticed that there was no decal for the gun placement. It wasn't sculpted into the fuselage, so I thought it was a decal. Looking closely at the instruction sheet, it says the model was created after the original which didn't have guns. So if I wanted I could carve wells into the fuselage (THAT wasn't going to happen) or I could create a decals for it. Umm, didn't the FP guy create decals for his? Why couldn't his design be added to the decals sheet? Even if it added another $1 to the price of the kit, I'd pay it. Having no ability to create a drawing for a decal, mine will do without. Hard to see - the skid also went in place with no problems. Looking back one thing I should have done that I didn't was paint the inside of the canopy. With the white paint on the outside and the light tan resin showing on the inside, the windows almost disappear. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. While I was waiting for the clear coat covering the decals to dry I went apart creating a base for it. It consists of a square of foam that it coated in DAPs Plastic Wood. I started out using a spatula, but it seemed to go on faster and smoother with just a wet finger. Being the craft just has one landing skid, I created a mini sawhorse to level the plane for display. All done. Thanks for looking. I used Chinchilla Dust for the dirt. Is much more in scale than regular sand.
  19. WOW! Bravo. Excellent!
  20. Another terrific looking result! Your friend will be very happy!
  21. Thanks Mark! Wow, I thought I hadn't posted here since Ihadn't gotten any response. Thanks for posting and the compliment.
  22. As of this morning the Hyperscale forum does not recognize my ID or password. Anybody know what's going on over there?
  23. Best of luck to you!!!
  24. BryanKrueger

JSU-203

The Tamiya JSU was partially started when I acquired it so assembly was pretty straight forward. Fortunately the road wheel arms were not attached so I was able to pose the tank nose heavy. I had Shapeways print the barrel. The part arrived with more build lines than what I am use to from a Form2 print so a couple of rounds of Tamiya primer and wet sanding were needed to toke care of the build lines. The muzzle brake has a light cast texture added with Mr Surfacer 500. The Tamiya kit came with an old Eduard set for the Dragon JSU. I should have sprung for a proper set as most of the Eduard PE was just wrong or too simplified. I spent two days soldering up the fuel drum holders only to find out they were wrong. Maybe some stowage and damage can hide the errors. I used Voyager set for the fenders and MasterClub tracks. The model is also detailed with Eureka tow cable and an ET Models bucket. I al;so added brass wire for the grab handles and brass tube for the cleaning rods. Still lots to do.
  25. BryanKrueger

JSU-203

There is a little explanation about the 203 here: http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/09/soviet-heavy-assault-guns.html
  26. BryanKrueger

JSU-203

This is a what-if build but based on actual documents and plans. The idea comes from a drawing I found in the WOT book on the development of the SU-152. Apparently 152mm wasn't enough and they wanted to jam a 203mm howitzer into the fighting compartment. Crew comfort and ammo stowage with the 152 was bad enough so yeah, cram something bigger in there. This is all well and good but I don't have a Su-152 in the stash but I do have a Tamiya JSU-152. It's partially started kit I received as a gift. I used the drawings found in the WOT book and created the 203mm barrel in SolidWorks. The part is designed to fit the Tamiya JSU-152 kit. This is the layout I sent to Shapeways.
  1. Load more activity