All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. UMM USA (Unique Master Models) produces unique, out-of-the-mainstream tools and supplies, as well as unusual and exciting kits. Each time I go to the IPMS Nationals, the UMM booth is a must-stop venture - there is always something new and interesting, and the busy owner always takes the time to walk you through what he has for sale, and how it works. This time around we have a photoetch bending set that comes with a graduating roller as well as two bending trays. If you haven't added this handy and versatile tool to your modeling bench, you might want to give it a try. Some roller sets will have you keep track of a bunch of differently-sized wood or metal rods that you use to press and bend PE in a tray. The beauty of using a tool like this to do the same thing is the simplicity of using a single roller for all widths, all in one tool. The hardened aluminum tool can be used for rolling and bending brass, copper and aluminum sheets. read more View the full article
  3. Figures This is another kit in ICM's series of Model T vehicles and figures, and includes two figures that can be posed loading gasoline cans into the rear of ICM's Model T Light Delivery Car, or other 1/24 truck. The Figures and Delivery Car are combined in another ICM Kit, #28019. Gas and oil can accessories are included with the kit. The kit comes on three sprues molded in soft light gray plastic, one sprue with the two figures, and two duplicate sprues of the gasoline and oil tanks. The instructions come on a single page, double-sided, 8 1/4"x11 1/2" sheet. One side shows a diagram of the sprues and identifies paint colors in Revell and Tamiya colors. The opposite side of the instructions are color illustrations of the figures showing part numbers and detail painting. read more View the full article
  4. UMM USA (Unique Master Models) produces unique, out-of-the-mainstream tools and supplies, as well as unusual and exciting kits. Each time I go to the IPMS Nationals, the UMM booth is a must-stop venture - there is always something new and interesting, and the busy owner always takes the time to walk you through what he has for sale, and how it works. This time around we have a set of two silk-covered, copper-core wire that can be used for a variety of purposes. Somewhere between solder and thin copper, the wire is covered by wound silk material that takes paint and CA or White glue, and can easily be bent and molded into form. read more View the full article
  5. Master Model out of Poland, well-known for producing high-quality, precision after-market products, has recently released a set of .303 CAL Browning machine gun barrels for the recently released 1/32nd scale Avro Lancaster by HK Models. Each barrel comes in three pieces of turned brass; a shaft with hollowed out flash suppressor, a perforated sleeve that slips over the shaft, and a base ring that slips over the other end and into a (slightly drilled out) female receptacle in the plastic gun from the kit. Assembly Assembly of the brass barrel is a snap. The cone slips tightly over the shaft and the base ring only requires a dot of super-glue to keep everything together, and cemented into the receptacle of the HKM gun mount, which is just slightly smaller than the new barrel. This design allows the modeler the freedom to open up the mounting holes just slightly to insure a nice, tight fit. read more View the full article
  6. Yesterday
  7. Based in Latvia, Croco is a small resin operation specializing in highly esoteric WW2 and post-war armor and aircraft subjects, though they are branching out into other subjects such as hovercraft The Iomax Archangel is designed to be a low-cost combat aircraft based on a highly modified Thrush 510P cropduster. Upgraded with additional fuel, the aircraft has a demonstrated loiter time of up to 10 hours, The Archangel has been marketed as a platform for counterinsurgency, counterrorism, counterdrug, counterpiracy, and even border patrol. Interestingly enough, the predecessor to the Archangel, the Iomax Border Patrol Aircraft (BPA), was originally based on a modified AirTractor AT-802i cropduster, was exported to the United Arab Emirates, where it saw action in Egypt, Libya and Yemen. Using lessons learned from the BPA experience, Iomax debuted the newer Archangel, where a further 24 airframes were sold to the UAE. read more View the full article
  8. Thomas McKelvey Cleaver served with the US Navy in Vietnam and has spent thirty years in Hollywood as a screen writer for television and the movie industry. Horror fans will know him as the author for the 1989 cult classic by producer Roger Corman of "The Terror Within" starring George Kennedy, Andrew Stevens, Starr Andreeff, and Terri Treas. Thomas McKelvey Cleaver has also been a published writer for forty years and is known for Fabled Fifteen: The Pacific War Saga of Carrier Air Group 15, The Bridgebusters: The True Story of the Catch-22 Bomb Group, Aces of the 78th Fighter Group (Aircraft of the Aces 115), F4F Wildcat and F6F Hellcat Aces of VF-2 (Aircraft of the Aces 125), and an ebook, Air Combat Annals. read more View the full article
  9. Plusmodel is located in the Czech Republic and when you visit the company website you are given the option of an English language version. The links above go to that option. To get some idea as to what products are offered by plusmodel, select the Catalogue option on the home page. The Catalogue lists hundreds of items that can be used as stand-alone models or items, such as the Ladder being reviewed, to enhance a model. My modeling experience with plusmodel products includes only a dozen or so of the aftermarket-type items, and I have been pleased with each of those items. read more View the full article
  10. Kagero Publishing is one of the world's preeminent publishers of military vehicle and aircraft books aimed at the modeling community. The book under review is from their Photosniper series, and the author, Dick Taylor, is a leading author on British military vehicles. The book is 88 pages in length, with a card cover. The pages measure 8.3" by 11.7", on glossy paper. All the photos within its covers are color, with good production values. There are also three pages of color profiles, covering 6 different vehicles. read more View the full article
  11. Last week
  12. Rebelalpha (Vendor on eBay) has great stuff. Scott stocks models ( some one never knew existed), resin items, decals. tools and lots of other "stuff" I've been a customer of his for years and he's great. Reasonable prices and shipping.
  13. Scale Aircraft Conversions continues their 1/32 scale line of white metal replacement gear with set 32146 for the Zoukei Mura 1/32 Ki-45 Toryu. The set includes 8 well made pieces of white metal that allow replacement of the two main landing gear struts along with a replacement of the tail wheel also. Inside the package, there are two main gear struts that are not interchangeable so make sure you know which side is left and right. The main gear also includes retraction struts and oleo's for both sides. The tail wheel includes a nice sturdy strut and separate oleo. Fortunately, I was building the Zoukei Mura kit and these popped up on the list so I was able to incorporate them into the build. The cleanup was simple. They clean up like plastic gear and removal of a few seam lines was all the was required. They were direct replacements for the kit parts and the metal is stronger. read more View the full article
  14. Zoukei-Mura's latest release in 1/32 scale is the wonderful Ki-45 Toryu (Nick). This twin engine 2-seat, heavy fighter was used by the Japanese Army in WWII. In Part 2, I finished the cockpit and gunner positions and got the fuselage assembled. Next off are the wings. Here, you will need to install all the internal workings for the wings. Will they show in the end, no but it is still too cool and too much fun to pass up. I installed the fuel tanks, linkages for the ailerons and then glued the bottom wing onto the structure. It fit perfectly. Don't forget to drill out the holes on the wing bottoms before sealing up! read more View the full article
  15. The MiG-21F-13 was the first operational version of the fighter. It was used throughout the Soviet sphere of influence. It was used in the deserts of the Mideast to the Jungles of Vietnam. Trumpeter's kit of the F-13 is a really nice kit but the kit decal options could use some updating. Enter Iliad Design and this sheet. Packaged in a ziplock bag is a single sheet of instructions. Printed on a double-sided page are seven aircraft from around the world in full color. The instructions show left side profiles and upper plan views. There are descriptions and FS callouts for each aircraft. read more View the full article
  16. The F-14 Tomcat, was a movie star and retired way too soon. This beautiful fighter led a long and distinguished career and sported some unique color schemes. At the end of its service life it was predominately shades of gray. That doesn't mean it was a dull collection of markings, just the opposite. Some of these grays made for some colorful markings. Fightertown Decals has been producing some great decals for the F-14 Tomcat and this sheet is no exception. Included in the marking options are 6 Squadrons with 16 marking options. There are at least four different variants of grey paint schemes on these subjects. The decals and instructions are packaged in a large Ziplock style bag. The instructions are printed on high quality bond paper in full color, on three double sided 8.5x11 sheets. Each aircraft is shown on both sides, as well as, upper and lower plan views. Each aircraft shows where all the individual markings are applied. read more View the full article
  17. Plusmodel is located in the Czech Republic and when you visit the company website you are given the option of an English language version. The links above go to that option. To get some idea as to what products are offered by plusmodel, select the Catalogue option on the home page. The Catalogue lists hundreds of items that can be used as stand-alone models or items, such as the Ladder being reviewed, to enhance a model. My modeling experience with plusmodel products includes only a dozen or so of the aftermarket-type items, and I have been pleased with each of those items. The ladder, in 48th scale, is packaged in a sturdy cardstock box measuring 5 inches by 3.5 inches. The box top shows an F-106, with the canopy open, and with the ladder in place, awaiting the pilot. The backside of the box serves as the "instruction sheet". The illustration shows that there are 14 parts included in the box. read more View the full article
  18. This set is designed for any 1/48 AH-64 kit. Included in a self-sealing package with a card stock backing. There are no instructions included in the kit. Five dark grey resin pieces are on four pour blocks. They are blemish free. The set includes two main wheels, one tail wheel and two small parts that look to be a additional wheel retention nuts. The detail is exquisite throughout. There is a flat spot on the bottom to represent the weight of the aircraft. It is easy to overdo but Reskit has got it down perfect. Actually the tail wheel could even be flatter. The circumference tread is nicely deep and perfectly formed. The brake assemblies are beautifully rendered as well. These wheels are significantly better than the kit offerings. They are perfectly formed and beautifully done. read more View the full article
  19. “You sir, are a steely eyed missile man”. Fantastic work as always David. Can’t wait to see the finished model. Christopher
  20. Hey Jim, Nice build! Your version looks about the same as mine, but the newer one has darker resin. Based on some pictures posted by another modeler over on my build thread, HERE: I was lead to believe that this was a re-tool. After seeing your pics, now I'm not so sure. Mine is coming along nicely so far, with few pitfalls. If you get a chance, please take a look in, and see whether it is the same as the one you built... Ed
  21. I built the "original" PJProduction F-84F back in 2004. Here's the link to my review. http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Archive/Kits/Aircraft/PJ_72_F-84/PJ_72_F-84.htm It was a good kit then, and I suspect that there have been improvements. I also did the RF-84F, in French Suez markings. Glad to see there's still a decent kit of the Hog. Jim
  22. That's some very sharp detail painting on those cockpit panels. Sweet! GIL
  23. This build is going to be taking the 1/48 Kinetic E-2C 2000 and converting it to the Northrop Grumman E-2D prototype designated “Delta One”. The conversion will require modifying the upper fuselage scoop and scratch building the side cooling scoop. There are a couple of other small modifications which will be addressed later during the build. I will be using the Eduard External Details photo etch set to enhance the details of the fuselage. Starting with the cockpit I detail painted the cockpit panels at dash. For the overhead console I made decals from actual photos of the cockpit. I made the back pads on the seat using the same cloth tape I use for seatbelts. (See my Tips and Tricks section for more details) https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/making-cloth-seat-belts-for-aircraft/ Once the cockpit was assembled I then used many reference drawings and scratch built the side cooling scoop. There is one main scoop with a smaller scoop on the front and a small exhaust scoop on the rear. I used some extras from my photo etch bin to reproduce the cooling radiators behind the scoops. They were then painted brass. The inside of the scoop was painted white and the overall color of the aircraft will be Light Ghost Gray. Next I will be modifying the top coop and assembling the main part of the fuselage. You can follow the build in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-northrop-grumman-e-2d-conversion/ Northrop Grumman E-2D Delta One and Delta Two
  24. Mike, Yes, white can be tricky. Only way I can get it right is that since white covers so poorly and you may have different colored things on your model such as fillers, PE parts or other colored plastic, to get one color that the white can cover, first apply a light grey primer, then a coat of FLAT white that covers the primer evenly. When that is set, if it is at all rough, go over it with either very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher) or very fine steel wool being careful to avoid burning through the white. Gil Hodges has even been known to use a small piece of burlap as a buffer as it is soft yet has just the right amount of "grit". When you've removed any orange-peel, apply fine coats of gloss white until a nice even color is achieved. As painters say, keep a wet edge. If you apply gloss white over gloss white that has started to "skin" over, it won't mix with then paint already applied and will sit on top and may orange peel. Then leave it alone for at least a day so the top coat can set. It's a little involved, but does produce an even coat of white. You can use this same procedure for other "problem" colors such as red or yellow, just use the flat version of those colors for the coat between the primer and top coat.
  25. Lovely build and a great looking scheme! I take it those landing gear were fixed? Guess that wouldn't matter much to a plane designed to cruise rather slow for jumps....Thanks for sharing and congrats on another British build! GIL
  26. Very good ideas coming in for the decal sheet(s). Could I ask the auto guys to chime in with some relatively current kit releases that would be a suitable palette for some law enforcement decals? It might be easier to research by vehicle type of available kits than vice versa. i.e. TX DPS is using Tahoes in my area right now. Are there any readily available kits? Also, they were using some pretty hot Mustangs for a while... Pics of the subjects and model kit manufacturer's names and kit nos are VERY helpful. NASCAR buffs - what about the Labonte Brothers? Any ideas there? Armor guys - what specific subjects from Ft. Hood, Ft. Sam Houston (field ambulances????), Ft. Bliss, others, would you like to see? We're trying to avoid putting together an all aircraft sheet. Thanks, RB
  27. Thank You All very Much for the Positive feedback Regards Bill
  28. Those are some stunning models! What a thrill being able to add such incredible work to a museum for so many people to see.
  1. Load more activity