Hobby Room

plastichound

Fellow Modelers:

I am fortunate to have one room in my home just for scale models and my other hobbies. I am getting ready to redo this room so I became curious how other IPMS members have their own modeling "environments"! I would be interested in people who respond to this post explaining how they have their own model rooms, what works, what doesn't, items that are essential, items that are optional but great to have. As a final addition to this post any pictures you can supply of your own location would be very welcome!

Fellow Modelers:

I am fortunate to have one room in my home just for scale models and my other hobbies. I am getting ready to redo this room so I became curious how other IPMS members have their own modeling "environments"! I would be interested in people who respond to this post explaining how they have their own model rooms, what works, what doesn't, items that are essential, items that are optional but great to have. As a final addition to this post any pictures you can supply of your own location would be very welcome!

I have a corner of the basement decked out as my workshop. Check out; My Workshop

In the overall view, you can see a couple of the shelves where the finished models are displayed. Hitting the back button will give you a link to my paint system and my library. The window in front of the bench opens to the back yard.

Guest Chrgr440RT

Unfortunately my modeling room must be mobile. In North Carolina, I had my desk in the large closet in our office with the spray booth and compressor in the office with bookshelves to display the few completed models I had. My stash of unbuilt kits resided on the top shelf of the closet above the desk.

I got orders to Korea, and, hence the mobile comment, I brought most of my stuff with me. All my tools and paint fit in 2 large tool/tackle boxes. I disassembled my spray booth and packed the compressor. I also brought my kit stash. I will say this, being in the military and moving every couple of years helps keep my unbuilt kits to a manageable level. Right now, I am living in a very small dorm room. My kits take up the entire top shelf of my only closet. My spray booth is in the corner of my bedroom by the window so i can vent. I couldn't bring my modeling desk with me, so i am using the computer desk that was in my room as a modeling desk, which also resides in the bedroom. My finished kits sit on a bookshelf and the tv cabinent in the other room. Its cramped and lacking in many apects, but it keeps me out of the bars and out of trouble. Plus when it has been a really bad week, i relax on the weekends and lock myself in my room and work on two, three, or even four rpojects for two straight days.

Heck, they even had me bring my compressor and airbrush in and do signs for the squadron.

I'ts good to know I'm not the only one with kitty litter on my hobby room floor. And they warn us about breathing paint fumes. :smiley4: Mine is an oversized closet with door to the outside, roughly 6 x 10 with a low ceiling. I have appointed it with a computer dest for working on and installed several cabinets for storage & counter space. 20 lb. CO2 tank with regulator is my airbrush propellant of choice. I like the quiet.

I have my man cave out in the yard which like most of my build is a perpetual work in progress. Pretty much assembled it from stuff I was able to score on job sites so it pretty well a kit bash as well. I have reworked it a few times, but here is what it looks like right now. Have my area on the right and the boys have their area on the left, which seems to constantly shift more and more to the right.

workbench_v20002sfh.jpg

workbench_v20006.jpg

workbench_v20004.jpg

workbench_v20005.jpg

workbench_v20003-1.jpg

And of coarse the door says it all.

workshop_2007001.jpg

Just wish it was still as organized as the pics show it. But then again I can't find anything when it is like that.

Considering the setup that Chris has, I'm at the other end of the spectrum...

I have a "closet" that's about 5' x 8' or so...

workbench001.jpg

I did add some shelves a few months ago...

workbench_006.jpg

I only do detail painting in there, as my compressor is situated in a corner of the garage.

I would love to have one of those nice, roomy, "studios" that some of you have...

Well, I am lucky in that I have a big room in my basement that is my mancave. The modelwife is happy to have all my modeling stuff located in one room where she can close the door on it.

workshop1.jpg

workshop2.jpg

I wish. I have a four year old who cant resist my latest half built kit so I'm out in the garage. I've got a home built bench and spray booth but the temperature variations really determine when I can be out there. I've modeled in the house but I don't like the fumes inside. I do most of my decal work indoors. Someday when one of my kids moves out, I''l have my own room and more time to be in there. If only we had basements in Southern California.........

With two kids requiring space I was once a "garage" modeler. During the TX summer that was a rather warm experience. During the winter, or what passes for winter in Central Tx, it got a bit chilly.

With both kids grown and gone I usurped the smaller of the two "kid corrals" and it is now the War Room. I do everything in the War Room now, except airbrushing. That still takes place in the garage in my handy dandy cardboard spray booth.

As retirement neared our relocation became the hottest topic at the dinner table. Since I was having to pretend to care where we ended up I sold my vote to my wife for gauranteed dibs on the largest non-master bedroom in whatever house we ended up in. As I sit here looking out my beautiful picture window at a snowy Mt. Lassen and by swiveling my chair I can access, computer - building area - spray booth - photo booth - multiple storage areas, I can state without reservation that it was the best deal I ever made!

Mike

Mine was a attached 1 car garage that was to small for our vehicle.So i enclosed and finished it.It has all my model stuff in itincluding my paint booth.The bench is some prefab counter tops and unfinished cabinets from Lowes.

ModelDeskandCase001.jpg

I have the room over the garage. It's L shaped so as soon as you walk up the stairs, I have my un-builts up against that wall, turn left and walk 10 paces there's my computer desk on the right (to it's right is the beer fridge) and to the left is the messy modeling desk. I have my 6 book cases up there as well with more un-builts on top of those. I do my spraying in the garage with the full display cabinets in the dining room. Hopefully when the daughter moves out in a few years, I can move back downstairs, take over her room for the modeling and use the guest bedroom for the library. As of right now, the wife says no, but...

Like Tim, I'm fortunate to have a room over the garage - a proper loft in fact. Am slowly configuring this as my ultimate (and first-ever) official man-cave, after a lifetime of improvised spaces.

I've stumbled across a great discovery downtown: The Habitat For Humanity people have something called a 'Re-Store', where they sell all kinds of second-hand home improvement supplies and components. This includes everything from cabinets to lighting to countertops to doors. While most of it is 'distressed' to varied degrees, prices are wonderful and a lot of this stuff is spot-on for a modeler's workbench/emporium. If you have one of these HFH Re-Stores in your town, run, don't walk, to check it out.

CHEERS!

Von_L

That sounds like a great place to get your work bench. I used two of the cheap kitchen cabinets and an eight foot piece of counter top (that I got at a trailer factory discount store) to make my bench. I have been very happy with it and a friend has copied the idea as well

cew_work_bench1.jpg

• 1 year later...

I had a room for a year, then my oldest moved back in to save money. So I still have the desk in his room, I can't model in there.

P1315903.JPG

So I build in the kitchen and have to clean up when we have company (not that often).

P1315900.JPG

The stash in in the storage area of the basement but it is finally out of the boxes and on shelves.

P3145939.JPG

I still build in my garage (pics can be found in other similar posts). This week, it's actually been too COLD to build models here in FLORIDA!! Can't wait for the dang Canadians to take back their stinkin' Arctic jet stream! :smiley7:

GIL :smiley16:

My little corner of the utility room

IMG_0296.jpg

Not bad. Pretty quiet unless the washer/dryer are running. Of course I keep my stash out of site in a separate location :smiley2:

IMG_0299.jpg

-dave

I don't have a fully dedicated space to work. I have a desk set up behind the couch to do most of the prep & glue work, and my airbrush is set up in the attic (where the kit collection is). I work usually with the tv going for noise.

I have a few spaces in the house that I have often thought of setting up a modeling space, but as of yet haven't had the $$ to make it all happen.

• 2 years later...

I have my man cave out in the yard which like most of my build is a perpetual work in progress. Pretty much assembled it from stuff I was able to score on job sites so it pretty well a kit bash as well. I have reworked it a few times, but here is what it looks like right now. Have my area on the right and the boys have their area on the left, which seems to constantly shift more and more to the right.

workbench_v20002sfh.jpg

workbench_v20006.jpg

workbench_v20004.jpg

workbench_v20005.jpg

workbench_v20003-1.jpg

And of coarse the door says it all.

workshop_2007001.jpg

Just wish it was still as organized as the pics show it. But then again I can't find anything when it is like that.

Looking good but way, way too neat! You must have cleaned up prior to taking the pics.