Blohm & Voss P.170

Roktman

Besides my love of sci-fi and horror movies and their models, I also have a fondness for X-Plane group of aircraft. This includes the planes categorized as Luft '46 planes.
But both the x-planes and Luft '46 has to be looking "spacey" for me to build the model. If it just looks like another WW2 plane, well then, I'll let someone else build it.

The P.170 is one of the aircraft designed in 1942. Although still rather odd-looking, the BV P.170 had a symmetrical basic structure unlike other Blohm & Voss projects of the time. The fuselage was cylindrical with the central engine located at the front end and the cockpit at the back end. The other two engines were located at both ends of the constant chord wing and their propellers turned in opposite directions.

This plane was based on the Nazi propaganda concept for a Schnellbomber, a bomber so fast that it would be far faster than any enemy fighter aircraft threatening it. Therefore, providing it with defensive armament was deemed superfluous. Eventually, owing to other war-related priorities, as well as the new jet possibilities, the BV P.170 did not go into production.

The model came from Planet Models, and is a very nice resin kit -

001.JPG

The parts are in separate sections of a poly bag and while there is some flash. It's not as bad as some other short run kits. Where the kit falls short is in the instructions, especially showing exact parts locations, etc... I found this out almost right away while locating the radioman/bombardier seat location -

002.JPG

The top of the canopy area went on and the wings went on with the help of some stringers made from paper clips. While close, there still needed to be some seam filling -

003.JPG

There are two bombs that come with the kit and the holders are installed. The 3 landing gear are being built and I came across another hard time with the instructions. The diagram shows the support brace and a straight piece, but the parts show a triangular piece. Also one of the spars turns up missing so you can see one is made from brass tubing and paper clip.

004.JPG

007a.JPG

I'm finally getting a handle of the large size of the kit being it's only 1:72 scale!!

Then I come across the next problem with the instructions when I go to close up the two "doors" at the bottom of the craft. Both pieces seem to be missing! After a bit of cursing, I take a break from that to give the vac form canopies a dip in Future and notice two additional windows. Those are the pieces - they aren't doors but windows! Problem solved but no where in the instructions does it give you the indication they are windows -

005a.jpg

Here we have the wheels and landing gear installed. Since those 2 parts were windows, they are still off as they got their dip. The gaps are filled with tissue while I primed the model -

008.JPG

Giving the landing gear adequate time to dry and solidify, it's now can rest on it's 4 wheels. You can see the bottom of the engines have also been painted their yellow color (RLM 4). Thankfully Vallejo has RLM colors noted on the bottles, plus on a listing of compatible paints -

009.JPG

011.JPG

Still being too chicken to tackle the vac form canopies, I went ahead and painted the splinter camo on the top (RLM 81 and 82), and the light blue (RLM76) on the bottom of the plane. Here I've also sprayed a gloss coat in preparation of the decals and weathering -

012.JPG

I finally broke down and and tackled the canopies. Honestly, they were tough.

The framework lines as well as the edges were NOT clearly defined and I ended up doing a lot of cutting and fitting and cutting and fitting.

013.JPG

In the end, IMHO they turned out ok. It will make a good "3ft. model." It will look ok from 3ft. away. ;) LOL

Next time, I'll finish it up with the bottom windows, and light weathering. Being no P.170's were made, I can't see a lot of weathering on them.

Oh yeah, I will also have to paint the canopy frames. Yikes.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Roktman
  • Like 1

Wow! That is a cool looking whiffer, and one I've never seen before. Your skills tamed what was obviously a true short run injection kit to the point it looks like any other build. As for the canopy frames, if you have some clear decal sheet, spray some camo color on it, cut it into thin strips, and apply it as framework. Congrats on a great looking build!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Wow! That is a cool looking whiffer, and one I've never seen before. Your skills tamed what was obviously a true short run injection kit to the point it looks like any other build. As for the canopy frames, if you have some clear decal sheet, spray some camo color on it, cut it into thin strips, and apply it as framework. Congrats on a great looking build!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for the kind words, Gil.

I hadn't heard of the kit or plane either until I saw it sitting on the Special Hobby (?) table at last years Nationals. It was the "extra" cockpit seating that drew my attention. But it's these smallish Co's where I find all my oddball offerings.

And this resin kit was A LOT easier to build then say a Unicraft kit (who also has a plethora or oddball planes). ;)

Cool idea about decals as frames for the canopy!

Edited by Roktman