1/48 Monogram B-25H Mitchell

ghodges

Hard to believe, but this is the first of the classic Monogram Mitchells I've ever built! This is the original boxing of the 1/48 B-25H cannon nosed version built OOTB except for some True Details resin tires. I had to add a LOT of weight in the nose, nacelles, and even behind the pilot's seat to get this bird to sit on its gear.

018.jpg

021_1.jpg

017_4.jpg

010_7.jpg

Markings are for the Air Commandos in the CBI theater. The white stripes were painted. The nose markings and name are home made. The tail numbers and stars are from the spares box. Exhaust stains were done with pastels and the chipping with a silver pencil.

Glad to finally have one of these classics on my shelf! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 3

That looks way cool Gil!

Did you add the blast plates under the cockpit windows or were they on the kit?

Love the paint and CBI markings.

Bill

Thanks for the kind words guys! The side armor plates below the cockpits are molded in place on the kit. You have to open the holes in the fuselage to add the packet guns beside them.

GIL :smiley16:

Looks good, Gil. Just wondering; did you do anything to reinforce the landing gear legs? I built that kit many years ago, and the weight required to get it to balance caused the MLG struts to start to bow outboard after a couple months. The easy fix was to use pieces of sprue between the bottom wing surface in the well and the unattached end of what is supposed to be the retraction pivot axle, to give a load path from there to the wing to counteract the bending moment that comes from the wheels being outboard of the struts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job! I built one back in the day, and thought it odd that there was no nose greenhouse and that there weren't many guns in the nose--until I realized that there was one big gun up there. Then it went from being cool to being ultra-cool...

I also remember it was one of the first Monogram kits I built that had the Shep Paine diorama brochure in it. I think I still have it here after this time.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice weathering Gil. I am not a big fan of heavy weathering, but you hit it on this. Well Done.