Detailing a Model - Demo Suggestions

BryanKrueger

Hi all!

My local club "volunteered" me to give a 45min-1hour demo on detailing a model at our upcoming local show. That can mean anything! Whole books have been written on the subject but I only have a limited amount of time.

The demo area can accommodate 6-8 people. I'll know some of the show regulars but I have to plan for all skill levels and genres until I get a feel for the level of the attendees.

I was thinking of discussing, demoing the following:

The importance of research.
Glue basics - Thick vs. Thin and the advantages of each
Basics with styrene - How to cut/scribe and clean up
Tricks with stretched sprue. Create working hinges
Basics of working with PE
Working with fillers

Any thoughts on other "detailing" basics I should cover?

Are you going to touch on painting? Masking the model & canopies for painting. How about cleaning seam lines? My own personal problem (it's mental now) How not to screw up the decals!

If you're concentrating on detailing (as opposed to basic building or finishing techniques), you have a good list to start.

My only suggestion would be to add a 5-10 minute section where you list materials and tools that many "basic" builders may not have if they don't scratchbuild much, such as:

brass (tubing and sheet)

balsa/pine (sheet and block)

telescoping tubing

household metals (aluminum foil, wine bottle lead, peanut butter jar seals, paper clips, soda can aluminum, etc.)

wiring (insulated and stripped) from anything that can be disassembled

solder in various sizes

vacuform machine (explain basic thermoform/vac techniques?)

mini punch and die set

mini drill bits

rivet maker tool

contour guage

drafting templates (circles, ovals, squares, etc) &tools (dividers, compass, etc.)

I'm sure this list could be expanded on, but you get the idea.

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Bryan,

Webster's defines detailing as ... "the act or process of meticulously cleaning and refurbishing an automobile".

We ALL have different definitions of detailing so you need to figure out your definition and go from there. To me, anything that comes in the box is basics. Detailing involves anything that is not included in the kit and will enhance the final product. Resin, PE, battle damage, styrene add-ons are what I consider details. That is just me. However, you need to factor in what you think your target audience will be as well.

:Smile_sceptic:

Bryan, Mark is correct. Assuming your club meant by "detailing" the embellishment of a kit above and beyond basic assembly and painting (which is what is commonly understood to be "detailing), much of your script sounds more like a talk on those basics. Nick.

I think those who tend to attend the seminars are normally intermediate to advanced modelers and not basic modelers. They are looking for new ideas or techniques to improve their own models. Some semi-advanced techniques that you've tried with success.