#25 Race Team...Truck/Camper..FINISHED...9-21-17

GaryDavis

This is the first part of a typical West Coast Race team that did the Regional type circuit back in the late 60s and 70s. Running at West coast tracks from Washington,Oregon, Calif. Also as far east Arizona,Neveda,Utah,Colorado, Montana. This is going to be a 4 piece build... Starting with the 72 Chevy pickup, A slide-in Camper, a 60s type Dirt Sprintcar and Race Trailer.

I started with the camper and truck. I drew a set of plans for the slide-in camper as I really didn't want to cut up that AMT/Moebius camper to fit. This camper is made to represent a permanent setting on this truck. In the first set of pics I have cut all the pieces out of card stock and taped them together for a rough look and see. The second set of pics are of the Evergreen Plastic and taped together again to see how everything fits. To this point all the measurements have been pretty darn close. A little sanding here and there but it's going to work. All the Trim and roof vents and windows with trim (and of course curtains) still need to be fabbed. But...this is the start....

CARD STOCK MOCK-UP...
P1030175-vi.jpg

P1030176-vi.jpg

P1030177-vi.jpg

PLASTIC W/ MINOR CHANGES

P1030178-vi.jpg

P1030180-vi.jpg

P1030179-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking in folks....

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Hi, Gary,

I am very interested in your build of the AMT 1972 Chevy pickup. I have started on the AMT 1972 Chevy Blazer version of this kit and have pretty much completed the parts cleanup prior to painting. If possible, I want to fit it with a trailer tow hitch so I can have a 1964 Chevy Impala SS street rod on the trailer. Lots of work on all aspects of this to keep me busy on top of other projects in the works.

Keep me inspired.

Ed

Thank you for the comments DAVE and ED. I hope this inspires you Ed.

Update here..... The glue/wall supports have been fabbed and the bottom ( or base) has been put together and sitting in mock up on the truck. The first picture shows ALL the walls and roof with the glue supports in place. Looking at the Camper base...I think I'm going to add a Bulk Head from floor to ceiling just in front of the big side window for side support. Here are a few pics of what's done....Thanks for looking in....

P1030183-vi.jpg

P1030184-vi.jpg

P1030186-vi.jpg

P1030185-vi.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments Wade and Frank....

Here's a small update on the camper...The window frames are built. The Rivets have to be attached on all the perimeters. The Back door frame and the tail light bezels have to be fabbed. Hopefullt I can get that done today...There's still a little more that has to be done on each side of this camper like the heater box...and the power receptacle. I'm waiting for the louvers to arrive from Archers. Then I can finish that.... Here's a few mock up pics.....

Supports added for the side walls.....
P1030190-vi.jpg

P1030188-vi.jpg

Walls and front in mockup..
P1030192-vi.jpg

P1030191-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking in Folks....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here's an over due update......The window trim, door and glass( tempered),all the vents and A/C have been fabed for the roof and in mockup in the pics. All are pinned and will be removed to prime. The running lights have been figured out and the light Bezels were cut from Evergreen tubbing. The rear tail lights and running lights are in mockup. The front and side lights have to be finished and that should be finished today(hopefully). The Heater and all the side STUFF have been fabed along with adding louvers and rivets from Archer. Then....I think it's ready for primer. Here's a look at the progress...thanks for looking in folks....

The Back door before ALL the stuff has been added...
P1030197-vi.jpg

With the lights ...
P1030201-vi.jpg

Roof lay out....
P1030199-vi.jpg

Roof with everything in mockup...
P1030208-vi.jpg

Left and right side details that were fabed...
P1030210-vi.jpg

P1030211-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Looks good Gary. It sure looks a lot like some of the products that they used to make in Northern Indiana. Well done plus a good series of "how-to" steps.

Our of curiosity, What the heck do you use black pepper for in building models. ;-)

Thanks Clare...the pepper tin is for used X-acto and single edge razor blades. Fill it up and throw it in the garbage. I usually wrap a piece of duct tape around the body(top to bottom) to make sure the lid don't come open. Just a little safety thing for all concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update...The camper is ready for the primer. All the trim and exterior parts are finished. The roof will be painted separately and then added when dry. All of the roof details are in mock-up along with the wheels to get a look at what I want to do with the rear. I want to use dual tires in the rear and looking at this mock-up...I will need to move them in quite alot. I will also have to radius the fender and flare it a little. Ok...here are a few pics.

P1030212-vi.jpg

P1030213-vi.jpg

P1030214-vi.jpg

P1030217-vi.jpg

• Like 2

Here's an update on the Bumper and Trailer hitch. I'm still debating the thickness(top to bottom) of the bumper. I still might take an inch or two out...

P1030227-vi.jpg

P1030221-vi.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

An update on this puppy is overdue...

The wheel wells are Hogged out and flares added from evergreen strip. The bottom of each flare will be tapered in towards the body. The chassis had to be opened up on each side so the duel tires would fit. The bottom chrome strip and all the badge chrome has been removed. The top chrome strip will stay. Here are a few pics to see what was done...Thanks for looking in...

the box with the flared fender
P1030235-vi.jpg

P1030237-vi.jpg

opened up the wheel wells on the truck bed(tubed..)
P1030233-vi.jpg

With the wheels and chassis in mock-up....
P1030231-vi.jpg

All the TOP stuff on in mock-up for a look. The flares need to be tapered towards the body at the bottoms..but for the most part...it's working...
P1030230-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 2

:lol: :lol: Welll...let me see.... I can't remember Joe.... :lol: It sure don't get much attention here on this forum...that's for sure. And I wonder why the heads of state can't figure out why more automotive builders don't come to the I.P.M.S sites and shows.

• Like 1

:lol: :lol: Welll...let me see.... I can't remember Joe.... :lol: It sure don't get much attention here on this forum...that's for sure. And I wonder why the heads of state can't figure out why more automotive builders don't come to the I.P.M.S sites and shows.

Keep posting away Gary. You're doin' great. I thought I might've saw this one over at MCM and possibly Scale Auto

Edited by mustang1989

Don't feel bad; this site is more akin to crickets chirping for all genres, not just automotive.

:lol: I hear you on that Robin.

Gary,

Don't feel bad. This one post has 4 more replies and 105 views than my last three armor posts combined have gotten. I like to think that is because we are all building instead of hanging out here.

:Smile_sceptic:

Gary,

Don't feel bad. This one post has 4 more replies and 105 views than my last three armor posts combined have gotten. I like to think that is because we are all building instead of hanging out here.

:Smile_sceptic:

Maybe so Mark. That's a pretty good thought.

Here's an update on the truck.... I wanted to hinge the hood and the kit had a set of "PLUG" hinges that really didn't work. I cut them off and used a pair of Lrg. Hinges from Scale Dreams that I got about 8yrs back. There was not any room at ALL to mount the body hinge under the cowl. The interior bucket took ALL the room. So...I decided to try and mount them in front on the firewall/fender. I also had to cut a longer rectangular slot on the fender so I could attach the tube to the hood thru that slot. Once both ends of the hinger tubes were super glued...I went back and boxed in the firewall side and recovered the fender side. I also noticed a few gaps between the front grill and the fenders on both sides that will need to be filled. That will come up next. Here's a look at what I did...thanks for looking in....
Before I boxed it in....
P1030252-vi.jpg

P1030249-vi.jpg

Boxed in...
P1030258-vi.jpg

P1030256-vi.jpg

P1030254-vi.jpg

The Gaps that need filled..
P1030260-vi.jpg

P1030262-vi.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update: The side mirrors are finished. The lower bars and the mirrors themselves came from a parts truck. The upper arms and door bar were fabbed from evergreen stock. The gap between the front grill and the body has also been filled. The slots in the firewall where the interior tabs are supposed to click into have been covered. Here's a look at what's been done...thanks for looking in folks....

The filled Gap....
photo5-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

The slots on the firewall and Mirrors....
photo6-vi.jpg

photo7-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update...the body of the truck has been taped,primed and shot with color. It's a duplicolor met red. The undercarriage has been shot with satin black along with the chassis. The front grill along with the rear bumper was shot with ALSA Mirror Chrome. It took a little bit to get the hang of shooting it but I'm happy with the results. It's a little tougher than Alclad.

The camper has also been primed and I'll get to the main color(OFF White) with in the next few days.

Detail painting is up next along with a few touch-ups on the body. I'll let this GAS out for a few days and then rub it out a tad. Not to much though as this is a working road track. Kept clean but far from a show Truck. Here are a few pics for a look at where it's at...

photo8-vi.jpg

photo7-vi.jpg

photo8-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

The Primed camper....
photo2-vi.jpg