Just Want 2 Know - Contest ?

schooner

Hi Gang (Newbie Here)

Tell me please, What do judges look 4 when looking @ a model?

And what's the winning prizes ?

Thanks Guys

Ray 😎

IPMS # 50943

Prizes for winning run the gambit from plaques, trophies, medals, certificates. I prefer the little medals because I can place it on the shelf next to the kit. The plaques just end up in a pile somewhere. I know one guy who often turned his plaques into bases for kits.

It's all about the quality of the build and the paint finish, NOT accuracy and/or detailing. Dave pointed you in the right direction; the Judge's Handbook and what they look for.

The best idea is to simply try to be "competitive". Most of the time, the models that win are the models with the least mistakes, and they avoid especially glaring problems.

Study the BASICS of building: proper alignment of all parts, seam work, thinning overly thick parts, being neat (no glue blobs at attachment points); and of finishing: smooth paint (no runs or rough "orange peel" areas), crisp masked paint lines with no thick paint build up at the edges, sharp airbrush camo with "scale" overspray edges, decals applied with no silvering (looks like they're painted on), and consistent weathering applicable to the theater or arena of operations for the subject.

A simple model that is well built and finished will almost always beat out a super detailed model with the basic problems like those listed above.

One last note on contests......they can be very fun and offer a lot of inspiration when you see all of the great stuff that shows up. But, do NOT let seeing work that you don't feel you're capable of get you down or sap your modeling mojo! After decades of going to contests I can attest that there's ALWAYS someone better than you, no matter how long you've been building! And, some people just have more talent, patience and ability than the rest of us. DO NOT MAKE WINNING A DETERMINING FACTOR IN YOUR SATISFACTION WITH MODEL BUILDING! Build for yourself, doing the best you can each time out, and let the chips fall where they may.

I think that over time, as you attend more and more shows, you'll find that while the contest is fun, the camaraderie and friendships you make combined with the fun of shopping the vendors outweighs any awards you might take home. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

I think that over time, as you attend more and more shows, you'll find that while the contest is fun, the camaraderie and friendships you make combined with the fun of shopping the vendors outweighs any awards you might take home. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Unquote

I agree with Gil completely. One other thing to remember is that most model contests have a vendors' area tied in to the contest. These are usually the largest hobby shops in the state for the day. Lots of great stuff - new kits, old kits, accessories etc.

I think the best way to learn what the judges look for is to become one. Ask to tag along with a few judges, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. The last show I went to I volunteered to judge and I had a blast. A lot of times the shows can get long, but it definitely breaks it up when you judge. If you don't feel like judging, simply ask a judge to check out your model and let you know where you can improve. Most of them are very willing to help you out.

• Like 1