consistent "dots" for rivets, dzus fasteners, etc.

Chuckboy44

Hi all,

When I have finished the checkerboard paint on the nose of my 1/32nd Tamiya P-51, I d'like to do some tiny silver dots to replicate fasteners that are either unpainted or have had the paint chipped off. Can anyone give me a heads up about how to do this and keep the size of the dots consistent?

TIA,

Chuck

Three ways...

1) Silver pencil...it won't be super bright, but it gives you precise control

2) Silver paint applied with a toothpick....this takes some practice to be sure you only apply a dot and not a blob of paint, but once you get there it also gives you very tight control

3) Silver ink pen....found in the art department at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc......also takes prcatice as too much pressure can cause more ink to flow than you want.

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Thanks to Gil and Robin!

I have some rivet detail decals from Archer Robin. Are those what you mean? I still have difficulty getting a consistent "dot" with them in place. Maybe I just need to practice more... :-)

Best,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My good friend Bill McAllister in Dayton, whom I think some of you know, had another thought to share. Dentists use small tightly rolled absorbent paper points for a variety of purposes. They are manufactured in a range of diameters and may be just the ticket. The are fragile so one project may require quite a few of them but I'll give them a try and report back. Bill was grinning a bit when he suggested this method because I have been a Dentist for 43 years and his idea had never crossed my mind... :-)

Best regards,

Chuck

Hey,

Got a question for you then? I have seen that dentists use round clamps in a variety of sizes for braces. These are supposed to be excellent for joining barrel halves together. DO you know of a manufacture or name so I can look into buying some?

Mark,

I know that such things exist but as a GP I don't have a need for them so I know very little about them. I have this for a suggestion: do a Google search for Orthodontic Supplies and do some browsing.The problem with supply houses is that almost all of them sell only to Docs and have fairly rigorous hoops for potential customers to jump through in order prove that they are really Orthodontists. If you find something that would suit your needs, I'd contact a local Ortho office or two to see if they would be willing order for you along with their own stuff. Sometimes they might even have something useful to you on hand that they aren't using that they'd be willing to part with. Wish I had an easier route to share with you.

Regards,

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can take a rivet tool made by Trumpeter, they sell them on eBay at a reasonable price. They come with four blades for variation on rivet size, 1/32 1/48 etc. You can easily apply a very small amount of paint to the size wheel you need and gently roll it along the surface you wish to mark. A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF PAINT. Do not press hard on rivet tool, let it gently roll where you want the pain to stick.

Edited by spiralcity
  • Like 1