1/72 2pdr. Portee conversion

Ron Bell

This is a kit bash of the Matchbox Chevy 30 cwt LRDG truck, the Milicast Morris 2pdr. portee and the Zvezda 2pdr. AT gun. The Matchbox kit was the base with the Milicast bed and gun mount parts adapted to it, then the Zvezda 2 pdr. added. Assorted stowage was from the spares box.

DSCN4546.jpg

DSCN4545.jpg

DSCN4549.jpg

DSCN4548.jpg

DSCN4547.jpg

• Like 1

That is brilliant! Someday I'll have to try that. Too bad you didn't have in-progress pics so I could see how the back end was done. I'd have to substitute or scratch a replacement for the Milicast parts as I don't have or have access to this resin kit.

Once again, magnificent job Ron! You need to join us for the Braille Scale meeting at the Nationals someday.

Mark,

There are several variations of the two-pounder portee -- not just in the base vehicle, but how the gun was mounted. On some the gun went up with the hitch forward and the two trails to the rear, on others the reverse. It really depended on whether one was fighting the two-pounder from the vehicle or more often transporting, then dismounting it for fighting. These were essentially field mods and you can find the Brits, the Kiwi's, and the Aussie's had different patterns. I started the Millicast Ford F30/portee kit a while back and changed the gun around to match my refs for a particular scene. (Got to finish it one of these days).

If you Google for images, you'll have more than enough to work with and cannot really be wrong.

If you get stuck, let me know -- I'm not an expert (nor was I there :) ) but I do have a pile of reference material.

Mark,

Do these help?

DSCN4537.jpg

DSCN4536.jpg

DSCN4535.jpg

DSCN4534.jpg

Yes they do! Thanks! I'll save these and see if I can replicate the Milicast items separately.

Thanks John! Once I'm ready to start something like this, I'll let you know.

Mark,

Unless, I miss my guess, Ron modeled his vehicle after the Chevy India Pattern Portee shown in this photo - he of course can tell you better.

It's a bit of an odd-duck as the longer wheel base Ford F-30L, CMP was more prevalent I think.

Regardless, his WIP photos tell you quite a bit.

post-15-0-05586000-1482984485_thumb.jpg

click to enlarge it

Edited by JohnRatzenberger