AMT Der Beetle Bus XL-Wheel Tubbing Process-11/03

I picked this kit up about a month ago because it was IMO just too dang cool. This one will be a sideline build when I either get stumped on or waiting for paint to dry for my current aircraft project, in which right now I'm waiting on paint to dry and trying to figure out some fit issues with it so I figured I'd start this thread. I'm not going to get as crazy as I did with my '54 Chevy just because I don't want something that in depth. But I do want to have some fun with this one so here goes.

Der Beetle Bus:

AMT-1960s-VW-Volkswagen-Der-Beetle-Bus-s

Now when I opened up the box I looked at the body and knew right away that this body was not going to fly at all. The wheel base is ridiculously short for my tastes and it would look more like a cartoon van than an actual vehicle. Here's where we start:

001_zpsjy4stcdj.jpg

and I just couldn't leave it like that so I bought another kit and went to work:

002_zpsannzdgqx.jpg

Cutting the bodies at just the right points yielded a wheel base that I could live with

003_zpsexbbpq3j.jpg

Top view of the difference it made:

004_zpstv0xdotw.jpg

and the side view :

005_zpsf9hqwpui.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I was going to keep it simple and go for a look like this:

003_zpsyhleds9o.jpg

004_zpsev2orxar.jpg

But then I said to myself, "Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" and started pondering what the rear wheel wells would look like with some different wheel openings. Like the ones on the '54 Chevy Panel Wagon that I just got through with. I just so happened to have a spare panel body soooooooo........................let's get to work on changin' some stuff.

Take the wheel openings from here:

001_zpsl8ob490r.jpg

and test fit 'em onto here:

002_zpsu7xwwclu.jpg

Yep. Already like it better! Stay tuned.......graphing work to follow....................

• Like 1

Hi, Joseph,

You are going to blow my mind . . . AGAIN!

Ed

LOL. Thanks Ed for the funny reply.

I've got the R/H side graphed in. I still have to do some body work and trimming but it's in there. I've got it mocked up here with my spun aluminum Weld Draglites. I may have to order a 5 lug version with a deeper offset in the back for that deep dish effect. Although the graphed sections aren't initially not trued up, I'll get it all ironed out in the body work process. I think I've got my color selection down too. I'll be going with GM paint code 79U- Mystic Teal Metallic -a.k.a. Chameleon. Yeah...............this look suits me a whole lot better!

002_zpssh0pk0gw.jpg

003_zpsyacuqmap.jpg

001_zpsn20acaum.jpg

This picture captures the Mystic Teal Metallic paint color change fairly well. The sides look green and the hood has a purple hue to it. Other areas will appear blue. I've always liked this color and can't wait to put it on this van.

32311820006_original.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yea...I see why you like that color. It looks awesome on the computer...I'll bet it's FLAT GREAT in person. Is that a factory color or custom blend?? Man...That will look cool on the bug...

Thanks Gary and Bill. It's a factory color, 79U Mystic Teal Metallic is what it's called and was used by GM starting in the mid 90's and going through like 2002 or so. It was used primarily on Camaro's and Firebirds but I've also seen it on Suburbans and Tahoes.

I do plan on running pipes towards the sides. Not sure of the exit style yet but I've got a ways to go before I get to that point so I've got some time to think about that.

Folks this doesn't look like a whole lot of progress but rest assured that it's huge for me because of all the work involved but I feel pretty good about the outcome. I've still got to relocate the spring perches and use a different rear axle and suspension but I'll get to that a little later. Here's some progress pics of the wheel tub and center section mods...........

Before:

002_zpsiyecewhe.jpg

During:

001_zpskhugbwbc.jpg

And after. I also managed to clean up the header exit cut out holes on the sides of the engine/ transmission cutout area. Here's the results. Still have some filling to go but it's minimal.

002_zps14lx1lqs.jpg

Still working on the clean up around the rear wheel opening on the body. It'll be a bit before I post any substantial progress due to this being the idea and development part of the build.

Edited by mustang1989

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...