Bedford refueler conversion

Ron Bell

I saw this vehicle in a photo and thought it would be a neat subject. I started with the old Airfix Bedford refueler, but the the new Bedford kit came out, so I modified that kit's chassis to take the old kit's tank and them modified the tank to the jet fuel configuration. Added some detail to the inside of the cab, but of course you can't see that. I had to look up what AVTUR meant. It means "aviation turbine", or better known as jet fuel. It had to be filtered before it was put in the a/c and that's what those round canister things are just behind the cab.

DSCN4363.jpg

DSCN4362.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4365.jpg

DSCN4366.jpg

DSCN4367.jpg

• Like 1

Nice build Ron! I'm not familiar with this type at all. Does it date from the 50s and 60s, or later? Also, did the hoses come in the kit, or did you replace them with wire or some other material?

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

I know I responded, Gil, but it got lost somewhere.

Vehicle dates from post war. Might have been seen topping up a Meteor or Vampire.

Hose was made out of aluminum wire that I got at Hobby Lobby in the bracelet/jewelry making area. It comes in thicknesses from very fine up to almost 1/8 inch thick and some of it even in colors. Very easy to bend, even the thick stuff, but holds the shape you form well. Not too expensive, either. Great for wiring/piping.

1/72

The booms on the top are kit supplied and are rigid. From the metallic junctions at their end to the nozzles are the wire and all the piping on the sides is the wire as well.