M4A3 Sherman 105mm Howitzer

catdude01

Hi Fellas:

Almost December, weather is getting really cold, so lets make a weekend kit, like the Tamiya oooooooooold really old Sherman M4A3 105 mm Howitzer just for the fun of it.

Lot of stuff can be done to correct here and there, adding PE, changing wheels for AFV, and hull from Italeri, etc..but forget it, this is a build to have fun, so is going out of the box, except for the metal barrel of course.

Here was my start during the spare time in the week. The kit is done in a few hours.

So is the OD going to be a wash over the black/white? I haven't tried this system of painting yet.

Thanks,

Tim

So is the OD going to be a wash over the black/white? I haven't tried this system of painting yet.

Thanks,

Tim

Correct, As in the color testing, I will apply very thin coats until built up to the desire color. Later with the oils and weathering the final color will be achieve allowing great part of the black & white work to be shown between the layers.

Pedro,

You have really mastered the black & white tech. I have seen it done by Ian Hamelton from AMMO by MIG on soviet armor. Never seen the pre-weathering thou. Looking forward to seeingthe end results.

• Like 1

Pedro,

You have really mastered the black & white tech. I have seen it done by Ian Hamelton from AMMO by MIG on soviet armor. Never seen the pre-weathering thou. Looking forward to seeingthe end results.

Thank you Chris for that incredible compliment! I'm still on baby steps here, but trying my best and having fun along the way.

Pedro,

I must say at first when you did the staining, chipping and weathering before you did your base coat of green I was concerned. It seemed to me that all that effects were diminished a little as it did not appear to come throu as well. Now with the filters and other steps it is showing up great. Am watching this build with great interest.

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all your comments, still a bit of experimenting, but the real deal comes when you start doing the green color. You have to switch your mind to paint like you were using water colors looking for transparent results, so the previous work can be shown between the layers. Yes you eventually will need to retouch some of the work, but you have the advantage that you can see where exactly. In my case was minimal .

I just sealed again the work for the decals process, meanwhile I can start painting the tools and all the small parts that were left out of the big painting process.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure doesn't look like baby-steps. This is really high-end artwork in scale modeling. Stunning. Maybe...I need to whip out an old kit and try this.

• Like 1

Sure doesn't look like baby-steps. This is really high-end artwork in scale modeling. Stunning. Maybe...I need to whip out an old kit and try this.

Hi Bob:

Thank you! and you are right this work is not for the faint of heart, is a more advance process from the very start. Sure I can take the shortcut and avoid the black & white process, but its not the same, at least for me.

Love the way that looks! Your OD has just the right patina, showing weathering and fading, but staying true to the original color. Whenever I build a Sherman, I'll be extremely happy if I can get it to look like yours. Congrats!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1