Scratch Building

I wanted to start this post for those of you that have an interest in Scratch Building or Kit Bashing....

So lets start!

I have been Scratch Building for some years now and have worked with several diffrent mediums, from Brass to

Plastic, Clays and Putties. All work well but each has its own set of skills and tools to use.

Reference Material is always a must, even for the most off the wall build.

I am going to start with some sample work in progress projects to get things started.

Then take you though a complete Scratch Build and the process's that I use.

First off my work area, pretty similar to most hobbyist, I also have a Sherline lathe(not pictured) my Proxxon scroll saw.

All of my sanding. vacuforming and such are done outside (I only vacuformed once in the house and the wife said no more,

so I had to build my own w/heating element)

4.JPG3.JPG

Next I get an idea and do my research, lay out some drawings then work it out on the computer, I use a variety of programs from Photoshop to Sketch Up,

I search online for a drawing that I like and go from there.

My ideas are very fluid and change on the fly, but I get the basics down and run it from there.

As you can see in the next few pictures.

2.JPG1.JPG

6.JPG5.JPG

Then there is assembly, I cut out the templates and past them to plastic card stock (.020" or .030")

9.JPG11.JPG

I will start to skin the project with .010" (0.25 mm) card stock.

13.JPG14.JPG

Another method I use is Vacuform, and the next pictures will be the start of the project that I will be walking you though from start to finish.

The project is a Rail of Race car built from an airframe, there are several of these on the internet but most were Kit Bashed and I want to do something from scratch.

To start i made my forms, you can use balsa, balsa-foam or basswood, which ever i decide to use I always seal them with some form of wood filler or spackle,

then prime and a last coat of High Temp paint, then lots of sanding for a smooth finish.

15.JPG16.JPG

So today I finished up my forms and went to the garage and did the Vacuform magic :smiley20: everything went well.

In the next picture you can see my forms and the finished sheet stock, I also keep the forms as support for the plastic, give the plastic a light sanding for a smooth

surface to work on, the forms also give support if I need to scribe or make certain cuts to the plastic, once I start the interior frame work I will no longer need them.

20.JPG21.JPG

Ok, we have this project started. :smiley32:

I will make posts on a regular basis about the project along with the details.

If you have any "Stop go back one step" questions, fell free to ask or email me.

• Like 1

Ok,

Got a little less then I would like to have done tonight, but it something.

So I have started on the Driver /Pilot tub. I actually wanted this double lined, an outer shell and an inner shell, so what I have done is vacuformed my forms one more time and I have them labeled as such(as you see here),

I for inner and the O for outer so I don't end up cutting up the wrong one.

30.JPG

This next picture is the inner cut to what I need along with some structural elements in place, I can always use the remainder for hatch covers and things like that on the outer skin.

32.JPG

And this is it just set in place for now, I have a bit more work before this is complete.

31.JPG

All for now but I will be back tomorrow with a progress update, Happy Modeling :smiley20:

Got a bit more done tonight,

I find that if I'm looking for parts that are not actually parts I can always check out my old circuit boards or old video cards, a wealth of bits and pieces can be found there.

Little more work on the LH side, rear bulkhead, start of the floor deck, the yellow area is where I will have the pilot/driver access.

This will all be pretty much duplicated on the RH side

33.JPG34.JPG

Hope to have more tomorrow!