Airfix airfield control tower

Ron Bell

This isn't really a diorama, but it doesn't 'fit' anywhere else. The kit is the Airfix Control Tower and it comes with three figures, no windows and and empty interior. I added "glass' to the windows, blacking out those on the first two floors. I also added checkered linoleum in the controllers area on the top floor. The railings were done with thread to simulate cable, but in real life they were also made from pipe. The Jeep is from Matchbox and is OOTB and the motorcycle is from another Airfix set and is of the rare non-spoked type used during the war to save on materials. This kit could be done up a lot more and would be a nice setting for any WWIi a/c dio set in Britain.

DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4043.jpg

You can just see the linoleum in the left hand side of the controller's area.

DSCN4052.jpg

DSCN4049.jpg

DSCN4048.jpg

DSCN4056.jpg

Not sure if this is the Triumph non-spoked variety or the rarer Indian. Both were used by the RAF.

DSCN4045.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Ron,

For those of us that attended the IPMS 2014 Nationals in Hampton, Virginia (8-9-14) we were treated to a wonderful B-17 diorama that effectively used the airfield tower as part of the display. Display was made by a member of the Puerto Rican National Guard and shipped to Virginia to display. (Won Best in Show) Ask any one that was there, and mention the B-17 and they will tell the sound of the engines in the display hall was definitely remembered.

Following is a YouTube link to the display:

Notice the DT on the right front of the display - this was for the field at Deenethorpe, England. It is coincidental that the Mighty 8th Air Force museum in Savannah uses the same airfield for their B-17 diorama!

Regards,

Steve

IPMS 47035

Edited by Herk
  • Like 1

Very nice job! I also built one of those and painted in the linoleum on the upper part of the tower. I used the thread too for the railings. That is a fun little kit to do!