Detail vrs Basics debate "across the pond"

Ron Bell

Check out this discussion on a British modeling site about putting lots of detail on a model that has basic flaws.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44732

That's a good discussion that covers most of the subject. The one thing i didn't see mentioned is the one area where the basics really matter: contests!

If you're not building for competition, the "basics" will give you a better model, but a flaw here and there will not incur any penalties on your shelf. Unless it's a glaring error, most of your fellow club members will gladly give you a pass and admire the work you did do at the local meeting. The point I'm making is that those "basics" are totally up to each builder, depending upon their end goal for their model.

If you DO decide you're building to compete, then by all means, get the BASICS right! Detailing and accuracy won't count for much if your effort is eliminated in the first round!

I've always thought that IPMS was one of the best teachers and motivators of getting the basics right, if only because we're so contest driven as a Society. The down side to that is all of those builders who read all of the magazines and web articles on detailing and correcting, particularly with aftermarket items, come away thinking that THOSE are the important things in a build. When they do poorly at an IPMS show because their basics aren't solid, they come away disenchanted with us and accuse of being nit-pickers.

In the end, as they said in that discussion, build to make YOURSELF happy. If competition doesn't add to your modeling experience; take a pass on it and simply display your handy work at the shows instead of worrying about how your efforts will be judged. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

A good answer Gil. As I was reading the discussion, I was going to comment about how judging first looks at basic build. You covered it well. I guess that in the end, if the modeler is happy with the final result, that is all that matters. To some, showing off the fancy decals and/or the photo etch is important. It takes all kinds.

Gil, you don't see anything about contests because they aren't important "over there". The majority of modellers (note the sp) build for themselves or for SIG or club display. I actually don't see that much aftermarket used, at least in the little world I hang out in.

I did find Fred's early comment about modeling magazines today not teaching basics to be right on. The old Airfix Magazine, for example, taught one how to build, to modify/convert, to scratch build and gave you lots of history to go along with it all. Not today.

I read these forum post on the airfix forum and one guy hit right on the head about how modeling is a self taught hobby and nobody is teaching the newbie the basics . I started modeling five years ago when I got into model building I knew nothing about it I didn't know how fill seam lines , applying glue without making a mess or adding decals the first model I did was a piper super cub and it looked bad I did eventually improve by my third model it looked presentable but nothing close to what I'm building now the only way I learned was trial and error. when I joined this forum about a year ago my skills improved dramatically it helped a lot when I could ask questions of more experienced modelers find new techniques and tips . the sad thing is the only way I heard about IPMS was I happens to bump into a older modeler while at hobby lobby who was building the titanic I showed him some pictures of my models he showed me his we got to talkin and he mentioned this forum long story short here I am. we should try to find and get new modelers to join this maybe give a discount or join up with hobby shops to get emails of people who are buying modeling stuff to send them a invitation and maybe some tips from the forum needless to say we need to try as hard as we can to get younger people to star this hobby or in a 100 years it might not exist anymore .

Getting away from Ron's original topic but it appears that Z is pointing out a big area where chapters and clubs can really help the hobby. Simply, we need to make ourselves known. Make sure that we have posters up in the local hobby shops telling about our clubs and when we meet. Our club also has a small build session at the local hobby shop once a month. People can see our members working on models and we make sure that they know where and when we meet. One, it adds new members but also it gets more people interested in the hobby. Our club meetings are usually pretty casual and informative. Members can and do ask questions during the meetings and great hints and tips get passed along.

IPMS Alamo Squadron (and other chapters and some individuals) have a history of "teaching modeling". Lee Forbes and Tony Ivone co-authored an ABC program handbook... (Adult Building Class) some years ago. In fact, IPMS Alamo Squadron (the home chapter for Lee and Tony when they expanded their ideas into an ABC program) will soon complete a revision of the original ABC paperwork and using the 1/48th P-47D Razorback by Revell, we will be offering slots in the classroom to newbies.

There are multiple goals, addressing various issues that face most model clubs, and we think the revised course will achieve those goals.
The course is being reorganized to involve more members in the local club in the ABC as coaches and instructors, teach some of the basic modeling skills that are central to modeling through the process of watching the coaches and then practicing those same skills with some supervision and guidance available. There's more to it than that and we'd be happy to share if asked.

We are in the final stages of the revision and hope to hold the first course with the new approach beginning in March or April.