P-47 Cockpit Color using an enamel

Dick Montgomery

Can you recommend the "proper" Model Master (or other enamel paint) green for a P-47D? I've got a "dull dark green" recommendation and have about 15 different shades of paint that roughly match such a description.

This image was provided by Mark V. and its in line with info I've received from other sources....now just to find a match in Model Master and we're good to go.

Thanks!

P-47Interior.png

I think you'll find Model Master Interior Green a close match to that pic. The Euro green mentioned is to replicate Bronze Green used in some later cockpits. Straight Zinc Chromate is probably a bit too bright, though if you mix it with a little black (like the paint makers did) it'll give you the slightly darker interior green. HTH.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

I like the weathering visible in the photo and will work on that tomorrow, now that the cockpit tub (Revell kit has a one piece cockpit that includes the seat) has been painted.

• 2 weeks later...

The only Thunderbolts that came from the factory with Interior Green cockpits were Curtiss-built P-47Gs, all of which were assigned to Stateside training units. The standard color for P-47 cockpits was Dull Dark Green..althought some have been incorrectly restored with Interior Green cockpits, confusing the issue. As mentioned above, Model Master "Euro 1 Dark Green" is about as close as you'll get straight from the bottle.

Steve Nelson

IPMS #30925

Yep....I've heard the same good advice from some other sources. I appreciate the info.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure this is coming a bit late but here is what I've discovered. Based upon Bert Kinzey's research in Detail & Scale's P-47 Thunderbolt (Vol. 54), the cockpit color for Republic-built P-47s was Bronze Green. Humbrol 75 is a great match. Curtiss-built T-bolts were painted Chromate Green. All of the rest of the interior surfaces were painted Chromate Yellow. I believe the inside of the cowl area was grey but at the moment I don't have the exact color reference handy. I hope this helps if it is not too late!