VP-46 P-3C Orion

Gromit801

I'm doing an early release Hasegawa P-3C for a friend's birthday. He belonged to VP-46 stationed at NAS Moffett back in 1985. I know the birds were in the high viz, white/gray scheme, and I'm looking for decals of the Gray Knights squadron emblem of that era. It was a full color emblem.

Any help?

Edited by Gromit801

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After Googling VP-46, I got the squadron FB page. There's a lot of pics of the personell, but not much of the a/c, though I did find one pic.

https://www.facebook.com/PatronFortySix/photos/ms.c.eJw9kscRRDEIQzvaIYf~_G1tbhn98I4Il7OrGZhWeriQ~;fywqxp2~_3OCoYZduqlAeDoXutvqr9~;r0O18qh5PQz7qc0PPjgk67vwx6xHCj~;2xZNuyTj9HvNf1OBs4eZsI8o2V5Oi~_~;fTr7TiVYPs67r3r7VaDz~_HVLzPv6na~;Ovfvd0R~_TtwejXpYT7~_Pa~_QV~;peMvCHmenJb99p~;YhplQT6sz7ss680P46tmxjHzO2YYN7znfYBn3OVOH~;enfPEfeJpN3PD~_2fiL89tPeI048V6f5L9HIX5uXA~;X7n5Jwby1dbug29fneq~;vetLr~_IsZPBu6hPH7rsXxcmC~;rrxr5nA~;3B6osol0~-.bps.a.535414293241988.1073741974.197512877032133/535414529908631/?type=1&theater

Looks like the plane is one color of gloss gull gray over all. The insignia on the tail could be done by hand on clear decal sheet by first copying the image and then tracing its outline after rubbing pencil on the back of the copy paper.Then its a simple matter of using fine line ink pens and paint to complete the home made decal. The lettering could probably be found from other sources, though it might be shadowed in a lighter color (white?). If that's the case, you'd need to find those letters in both colors and apply one over the other, slightly off-set to create the shadow outline.

Or (after further Googling), you could find the Wolfpack decals 72-006 which has the VP-46 markings on it! wp72006b.jpg

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Well, keep in mind Jim, unless the unit markings changed during that time, the color change really only involved painting the undersides gray. When reviewing images for my P-3C build it seemed that the tail fin markings were often the same, or very similar on over all gloss gray planes as well as the earlier gray/white ones. The VP community didn't seem to take going over all "low-viz" to the same degree the tactical communities did. The only other significant difference might be outlined wing walk areas as opposed to different colors of gray being used on the wing tops.

Here's an image of the low-viz squadron emblem on the tail:

1797967_498721363577948_135026518_n.jpg?

Note that the trident is black here, while the trident is red on the decals (the arm is black on both). Those decals may very well be the HIGH-viz markings. The only other difference is the fin cap color, which is a breeze.

As I suggested above, if you KNOW the markings you need, you might seriously consider doing them yourself. It easier than you'd think (as I've found out). However, if you have color art work, I might be able to put you into contact with a buddy who might make them for you for a reasonable cost. If you have that type of artwork available, email me at: slowhandshodges@bellsouth.net and I can forward you on to my buddy to see if y'all can work a deal. Cheers!

Also, found one more image!

10325738_548525148597569_396760863556800

Note the difference between the one in front and the fin of the one behind it (different squadron?).

I'd also be interested to know exactly WHAT that rectangular white panel just ahead of the serial# on the fin was. Saw it on lots of images, but have never been able to establish why it was there (as it wasn't always) or what purpose it served.

Edited by ghodges

That helmet, with our without the background would be a cinch to do using the copy paper/trace method I mentioned onto clear decal paper. A very fine line permanent black marker would do for the lines and some red paint for the plume. Painting a blue triangle to place behind it would allow you to do the one in the background. In fact, if you click onto your thumbnail, the enlargement of the pic is probably just about the right size to fit onto a 1/72 P-3 fin! If it was me, I'd trace it right off of my computer screen.

In any case, best of luck. It's a cool looking emblem. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Getting started. It's not going to be an AMS job, just good basic construction. First build in 20 years because of having nowhere to set up a workbench. Great way to knock off the rust, and it seems muscle memory is still there.

imagejpg1_zpse77f2a5b.jpg

Watching this one with interest. My brother flew for VP-19 at Moffett in the late 80's, so I've got one of these in the stash for that project...someday.

• 2 months later...

Ok, getting ready to paint this thing. The instruction sheet is all Japanese, and none of the reference material I have is clear on this. Can some tell me the FS numbers for the Gray/White (light gray?) color scheme?