He-115B....What are those "pipes"?

Dick Montgomery

Does anyone know what those pipes are protruding from the rear of the engine cover on the upper wing surface? My guess is some sort of exhaust.....

Each engine has one "pipe" protruding from the engine cover on the upper surface.

That's what I think as well...nothing else really makes sense. That's the direction I'll go and thanks!

Hi Dick. I had a hard time seeing/visuallizing what you were describing on your original post. The picture in Jim's reply though is of an He-115C (not 'B') model. In William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich", page 320, he attributes to the He-115C-1armament : "… and a fixed aft-firing 7.9-mm. MG 17 machine gun was introduced in the tail of each engine nacelle for use against pursuing fighters." The A and B variants had much shorter engine nacelles than the He-115C variant.

HTH,

Mike Quan

IPMS-NCT

Edited by mquan

I saw the same thing Dick. Mike is right. I do have a copy of "Warplanes of the Third Reich " myself. All the best,

Mark

Dang! How could I have forgotten that! I've got a copy and its about 3 feet away! A friend also provided this link to a CGI you tube vid....its really quite good at showing the interior of the He-115.

According to Warplanes of the Third Reich those pipes are machine gun barrels for the "C" model just as Mike stated.

I just couldn't fathom mounting fixed backward facing machine guns....but that's what they did!

Check out this You Tube CGI of the He-115 provided to me by a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l9AcJQ4zwg

Edited by Dick Montgomery