F-86F Progress So Far

aAzZ09

005_zps83ba611b.jpg004_zpsf47a935a.jpg003_zps476b9927.jpg002_zps8ad9369a.jpg

Edited by aAzZ09

Hello Gil. First, I'm using Alclad II Gray Primer overall and after the flaws are gone (?) I'll use standard Alclad II Aluminum shade and maybe Polished Aluminum. I've already used some of it this afternoon on a painting session and it seems to go on fairly well. This is my first use of it as a medium since I've been using the old Liq-A-Plate back in 1976, Floquil Old Silver/Platinum Mist for many years, SNJ, Spray 'n Plate, and Testors Metalizers and/or a combination thereof. I haven't tried the late Les Sundt's metalizer techniques he used on his models referenced in Fine Scale Modeler back in 1996. They looked great! The kit is the old Monogram F-86 Sabre I've had lying around in my storage for the last 37 years, so I thought I'd use it just for fun. I know that the new kits are great but this was done on a lark. Thanks

Mark

Thanks to all of you guys: Mark, Jim, Mike, and Gil. I hope to have it ready soon.

Mark

Great work and here are some cool tips I learned from Alclad

First, the Alclad gray primer can be polished to a mirror like shine with polishing pads and then the Alclad sprayed over it for a great finish. The Polished aluminum is a little touchy to mask as it is more fragile. I use post it notes and go slow.

Second and what I like to do is after the gray primer, I spray the plane with decanted Tamiya Gloss aluminum (rattle can). It is a lacquer so beware the stink but it dries quick, super hard and then you can panel the Alclad over it. Working on the Voodoo for review now and will use that technique when I get there (prep work takes forever getting a nice finish)

DAve

Many thanks Dave and to all of you. Best,

Mark

Great work and here are some cool tips I learned from Alclad

First, the Alclad gray primer can be polished to a mirror like shine with polishing pads and then the Alclad sprayed over it for a great finish. The Polished aluminum is a little touchy to mask as it is more fragile. I use post it notes and go slow.

Second and what I like to do is after the gray primer, I spray the plane with decanted Tamiya Gloss aluminum (rattle can). It is a lacquer so beware the stink but it dries quick, super hard and then you can panel the Alclad over it. Working on the Voodoo for review now and will use that technique when I get there (prep work takes forever getting a nice finish)

DAve