Posting two veterans of Savo

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

First up, one that you all have seen before ad nauseum: USS Laffey was a Benson-class destroyer. During the First Battle of Savo, Laffey approached the HIJMS Hiei at point blank, unloading her puny weaponry into her upperworks and killing several senior commanders and severely injuring Admiral Abe. Laffey was soon hit by at least one "Long Lance" torpedo, and began to sink. Her XO ordered abandon ship just before Hiei finally hit the tin can with one or two 14" shells, obliterating her stern.

102_0029_zps309be93f.jpg

102_0035_zps237f8290.jpg

In Japan, the HIJMS Yukikaze is lauded as the "unsinkable ship" having survived Guadalcanal, Leyte, and even Ten-Go. Post war, she was handed over the the Republic of China, fitted with American weapons, serving until 1966. Attempts were made to preserve her, which sadly failed.

58D4AB1D-4F42-460F-8946-E6F5189376A7_zps

58027AF2-440E-4654-850B-88F32D2CDA42_zps

Guest PetrolGator

Thanks, Gil. Wife came up with that. She's so supportive of my hobby she indulges in it. :)

Bob, agree. I choose my subjects largely on historical significance. My second tier is weirdness. I have a Japanese, uh, turret ship in 1/700 I'm itching to build.

• Like 1