410 Dirt Sprintcar....FINISHED!..... 02-17-15

Finally getting to this build. This car was built by Todd Carmichael( My Cousin) and his Crew. They ran on the West Coast(mostly Northern calif., Oregon and Wa.) with this car in 2003 and 1/2 of 2004. The motor broke 1/2 way thru the 04 season and they couldn't come up with the $50K to get another motor to finish the season. But....they did win an "A" Main and Ran well with the WoO guys when they did the WEST COAST SWEEP. He ran at the Silver Dollar Speedway..."DIRT CUP"( 3 seasons..this car twice and the 33 car once) in Chico Calif..... before Leaving the dirt and moving over to Asphalt.

This Chassis started out as one of the Stealth chassis' from a Monogram kit,which is a "LOW BAR" chassis(no down tubes from Cage to front end). A lot of the bottom bar work is the same as the J&J chassis(HIGH BAR chassis...two down tubes from roll cage to front end) so I didn't have to replace them or start from "SCRATCH" completely. I did Research on the NET and also talked with TODD quite a bit to get some of the small details on his car. I'll explain the build as I go. Here are a few pics of the chassis and the new barbar work.

A Reference picture of His 1/1 at speed..( please forgive the Quality as I didn't shoot the pic)

Moretoddpics0003-vi.jpg

annnd here's what I've got done so far...

TODDSCHASSIS006-vi.jpg

TODDSCHASSIS009-vi.jpg

With the Seat in mock up...

TODDSCHASSIS002-vi.jpg

TODDSCHASSIS003-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Great start Gary. I can see the chassis tubing you've modified. It's good to have access to the car's builder.

The seat is the Kirkey seat from Dirt Modeler, is it not?

Good luck with the build...

Great start Gary. I can see the chassis tubing you've modified. It's good to have access to the car's builder.

The seat is the Kirkey seat from Dirt Modeler, is it not?

Good luck with the build...

Thanks Kevin....Yes...the Kirkey seat is from Dirt Modeler. He sure has some good racing "STUFF" :lol: He's great to order from. I was thinking I should show a pic of the chassis before all the modification work. I think it would help the viewer understand the build a little more....don't you?

Well...Fotki seems to be working ok now.... Here are the pics I was trying to post yesterday.

The block with the new oil pan and oil tank.

enginestuff001-vi.jpg

enginestuff003-vi.jpg

Here are updated pics...The oil tank is almost completed(need to build the Hose connecting points on the tank) and the oil filter(which mounts on the front of the block) is in mock up for a test fit.

enginestuff2001-vi.jpg

enginestuff2002-vi.jpg

Here's a pic of the Tires and wheels. The Good Year has been sanded off and Hooser will be added. The spokes on the wheels will be painted semi gloss black also.

ChassisandTires003-vi.jpg

That's it for now...thanks for looking in...

• 4 weeks later...
Here's an overdue update. The cross bar that supports the KSE steering is added. The front shock mounts on the Down Bars were also fabbed. New front wing mounts had to be made and added to the down bars also. The side panels on the front wing were also fabbed and are in mock in these pics. I pinned them so they can be removed to paint. All the wing Panels( front and Top) were body color. The Shocks have to be built and that is next. Here are a few pics...thanks for looking in...

frontwingshockmounts004-vi.jpg

frontwingshockmounts001-vi.jpg

frontwingshockmounts006-vi.jpg

frontwingshockmounts008-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Gary,

Great start to an awesome build. I have been building models for over 40 years and I really like the bracing to hold the chassis in place. Very professional and as for the before and after photos I think that's a great idea. The seat looks so awesome.

More More! :smiley20:

Art

ABC Specialties

Resin Casting

http://public.fotki.com/Goodguyinar416/

Gary,

Great start to an awesome build. I have been building models for over 40 years and I really like the bracing to hold the chassis in place. Very professional and as for the before and after photos I think that's a great idea. The seat looks so awesome.

More More! :smiley20:

Art

ABC Specialties

Resin Casting

Hey ART....Thanks. The chassis jig was a thing that I had to come up with to get the correct ride height on almost ALL the Race cars that I've done in the past 10 yrs. It sure helps.....

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Here's a Rear end(quick change) and WING update. Both wings are mocked up to get the correct angle so I can build the brackets for the big wing back bar mounts. I also wanted to see the relationship between the front wing.....down bars....and top of the rollcage. Looking at the picture and comparing it to that...it looks pretty darn close... Also...I got the Franklin quick change made into the winters. I still have to make the brackets for the cable and also the bar that the cable connects to...that will be finished this week....

franklinQC002-vi.jpg

franklinQC003-vi.jpg

topwingmockup004-vi.jpg

topwingmockup006-vi.jpg

topwingmockup003-vi.jpg

Hey ART...thank you for the compliment. I'm trying to get all the little things that take up a lot of time finished. I have to fab the IN/OUT lever and cable that mounts inside the cockpit to the drivers right side on the bar. Also... the bracket and the rod that are on the QC( Quick change rear end) for that IN/OUT cable to connect to. I'll get that finished and post pics of it...

Edited by GaryDavis

Hi, Gary,

I don't think it is fair to call this a model (what I could build would be a model). Yours is a miniaturization of a working vehicle with all its technical and mechanical details in place. Not knowing this type of racer, I am only following half of your technical descriptions and marveling at the delicacy and accuracy of your work. I am watching and learning.

Ed

Hi, Gary,

I don't think it is fair to call this a model (what I could build would be a model). Yours is a miniaturization of a working vehicle with all its technical and mechanical details in place. Not knowing this type of racer, I am only following half of your technical descriptions and marveling at the delicacy and accuracy of your work. I am watching and learning.

Ed

Thank you ED for the compliment. I just re-read my last post and it was a bit confusing to me too....LOL. I left out a few words. I just got off the phone with Todd and he said that they ran with an adjustable top wing. That is a hydraulic cylinder( it looks like a skinny shock) that one end is connected to the top left of the roll cage and the other end 3/4 the way up the back wing support(or Wing Tree). The driver can adjust the angle of the top wing from inside the car while on Track. Sooo...a few more things to ADD to this build..

Edited by GaryDavis

Here's a small update to show the small stuff. The shocks( front and rear) where cut off and new built. They are in mockup in the pics. The small shock(or cylinder) on top is the hydraulic wing adjuster that is also fabricated. The left Top wing panel also has been dropped 3". It's hard to see that in a pic so I won't post it. It's starting to look kinda like a 410 Sprintcar. Still a ways to go but it's getting there.

shocks004-vi.jpg

Impressive! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Dick for the comps. I'm in the process of making the TOP wing slider valve. It is mounted(usually) on the bar next to the drivers left. This enables him to roll the handle left and right to move the WING forward( less down force) or backward( more down force). Here are a few pics of the 1/1 pieces that I'm replicating. The Slider(the little shock looking thing) is what I posted in the last update pics....

The Valve...

wingad-vi.jpg

In the cockpit.....

8549845871_bfa713dc9d_z0-vi.jpg

The slider that the valve controls....

wingaddd-vi.jpg

I've got the slider in mock up. The bolts are not glued so it can come apart for painting. Now...it's time to get the slider valve made...

with out the wing attached....

slider002-vi.jpg

With the wing on....

slider003-vi.jpg

slider004-vi.jpg

Gary,

That is so impressive...Makes me want to start building a sprint car. I'm like you very detailed in making my cars. Doing my casting business ABC Specialties, I enjoy making the small detailed items. Please keep photos coming! :smiley32:

Art

ABC Specialties Resin Casting

Edited by goodguyinar416

Gary,

That is so impressive...Makes me want to start building a sprint car. I'm like you very detailed in making my cars. Doing my casting business ABC Specialties, I enjoy making the small detailed items. Please keep photos coming! :smiley32:

Art

ABC Specialties Resin Casting

Thank you ART. I understand very much about the details. I also cast in Resin( RESIN SHACK....is my casting business). I was working with Shirrel at Detail Master for awhile. Casting a few of her parts and also doing my own. They were on her site for awhile. I still cast but right now it's only for myself. I mastered Racing tires(Dirt and Asphalt)and Wheels(wide 5's) in 4 scales. From 24-25th to 1/8th. It sure can take A LOT of a persons time...can't it? LOL

As soon as I get that wing Valve and the in/out lever made...I'll post update pics.... Thanks again ART....

Edited by GaryDavis

• 1 month later...
Finally been able to get a few things done on this car. These are the headers with mufflers that were mandatory. I also had to make a new dash as the gauges were to low. I'll show update pics of that later as it is mocked up in the chassis for measurements.

headers003-vi.jpg

A few progress pics.Here's the new dash I mentioned earlier. The fittings for the oil tank(resin after mrkt) and the radiator(fabbed) have been added. The tail fuel tank is in mock up to get measurements. The hood and all the panels have to be fabbed...but they will built just before painting the chassis.

Chassisupdates003-vi.jpg
Chassisupdates005-vi.jpg
ChassisupdatesII001-vi.jpg

Very impressive build!

Congrats on a very orderly workspace as well! :lol:

Well folks....I've finally got the hood dilemma( at least it was for me....LOL) figured out today. I started with the kit hood and modified it. I cut the down bars off of the side panels of the kit hood. Attached the sides to the top to get a measurement. Had to widen it 4mm and I'm going to have to lengthen the back that sits over the firewall and the sides about 7mm. You can see that in the pics.. I've also got ALL the drilling for wires and plumbing finished. here's a few pics of the progress...thanks for looking in...
The two separate sides of the hood with the inside supports...
newhood005-vi.jpg
newhood006-vi.jpg
With the center section added and in mock-up.
Still more work to get it to the correct height and sit...but it's getting there...
newhood012-vi.jpg
newhood011-vi.jpg
newhood007-vi.jpg
Edited by GaryDavis

Thanks for the comps guys....

OK....I got the extensions built on the hood. It looks a lot better to me now. I still need to trim some off the side panels(both sides) and a little on the nose. Then...I think it's ready to prime and do the body putty thing. Here are a few pics of that progress.

newhoodII002-vi.jpg

newhoodII005-vi.jpg

newhoodII003-vi.jpg

Here's an update on the body panels....I worked on the hood and got it to sit where it's suppose to. I need to trim a little off the bottom yet. Got all the panels measured and cut( with the exception of the right top side)...it has the arm bubble in it and I had to add material to make it work out. It's curing and will go on tomorrow. This is in mockup and it's really starting to look like a 410 now. Thanks for looking in folks....

bodypanels005-vi.jpg

bodypanels003-vi.jpg

bodypanels001-vi.jpg

Here is an update on the body work...All panels are fabbed and mocked up in these pics....it's getting there...a little at a time....Thanks for looking in folks..

bodypanelsIII005-vi.jpg

bodypanelsIII003-vi.jpg