The Duke's Fun Models

Here are a few of mine that I had a lot of fun with. Although I have fun building all my models and don't build for contests, these are the ones that were particularly enjoyable.

This is a model I wanted since I was 12 and finally got it from a vendor in San Diego at their annual Model Contest. It was kind of scary at first, but once I got into it, I had a blast with this one:

1911ChristieFireTruckI.jpg

1/12 scale Christie Fire Truck

Here's another one I couldn't pass up when I saw it. I didn't build it for a contest since that would make it impossible to open to change the batteries inside. It does run too:

GoodyearBlimp.jpg

Box Scale Goodyear Blimp

Here's a couple others I enjoyed doing, mostly for the novelty of such unique automobiles. My friend had built these when he and I were kids and I just had to try doing them myself:

TDCollectionI.jpg

1/24 scale Tom Daniel's Red Baron and Paddywagon

This next one was built as a Christmas gift for my (Chinese) mother-in-law who was so thrilled with it that she would sit and look at it for hours. The fact that I was doing it as a gift, as well as the uniqueness of this made it a particularly fun build:

ChineseJunkI_zps69c008d4.jpg

1/96 scale Chinese Junk

All of these 1/72 scale civilian aircraft were all such a blast to build; and even more fun having them in my collection still!

CivilainAviationFamilyI.jpg

Various companies, all in 1/72 scale

This next one was also fun, particularly since all other fellow modelers in my IPMS club considered it unbuildable due to the many and extensive mistakes the original builder did to this. I got it at a Distressed Kit auction for free since it had been in four of them and nobody would bid on it since it was so bad. I had fun seeing how I could "resurrect" this and it is the only 1/48 scale aircraft that I kept after building it:

USP51BMustang48sclI.jpg

1/48 scale Monogram P-51B Mustang

This is one of my most enjoyable small scale armor model I've ever done, mostly because I was able to really cut loose on it.

USArmyM46PattonI.jpg

1/72 scale Pegasus Hobbies M-46 Patton

This one was one of the funnest ships I'd ever done. I love working on this partly because of it's sheer size and the great detail I had to build. The aircraft could have been better molded though.

USSJohnCStennisI.jpg

Trumpeter 1/500 scale USS Nimitz

This next one I was reluctant to do since I didn't feel confident in my abilities to make good groundwork. Still, once I started this, I couldn't stop; I was having too much fun!

GermanStrongholdFront_zps0cc0ed04.jpg

Exterior, 1/72 scale Arii German Secret Stronghold

GermanStrongholdIntI_zps390c29d3.jpg

Interior, 1/72 scale Arii German Secret Stronghold

Well, those are some of the most enjoyable models I've had a blast building. Some of you may be surprised that Dora was not included. Well, she was pretty fun to build, but that fun was slightly shaded by the fear that I would do some horrible mistake. While that did keep me on my toes quite a bit, it did temper the enjoyment of seeing this come together.

Okay, I hope you enjoyed my list for this month!

Ya know, that's what this hobby is all about......fun. Build what you want and have fun with it.

Thanks guys!

Mark,

Love the fire engine! My favoret.. FYI - the USS Nimitz was CV-68, your model is of the USS John C. Stennis CV-74.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

Thanks Chris! I think I was trying to type USS Nimitz-class but forgot to add the class! Stennis she is indeed.

Thanks again for all the great comments guys!