StuH 42 1/48 Tamiya "Quick Build"

BryanKrueger

This was suppose to be a quick build but it has now entered the fourth week. I believe the issue is with me and not the kit.

I modified the base Tamiya Early StuG III Ausf G kit into a StuH 42 with some field add-on armor and concrete fill in. I added the Hauler screens and RB(?) turned barrel which obviously needs to be painted. I added the missing road wheel tubes to the spares from styrene rod. The mantle and gear tarps are sculpted from Duro/Green Stuff Epoxy Putty. Upper hull plates are styrene sheet with brass strips. I used the HobbyBoss T-34 tracks for the extra armor. The door panel is a model RR door cut in half and fitted with hardware. The model is based on an amalgamation of images with a little artistic license thrown in.

Markings are a mixture of decals, air brushed stencils and hand painted acrylics. They need some touch ups.

The model is airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics all custom mixes. The details are painted with Vallejo Model Color. Weathering so far is a mix of pigments, acrylics, enamels, and oils.

The model still needs final touch ups and weathering.

ministug_01.jpg

ministug_02.jpg

ministug_03.jpg

ministug_04.jpg

Cheers.

Nicely done, Bryan! It's funny how these Tamiya 1:48 "quick builds" turn into the basis for a super detailing project, isn't it? My Panzer IV started out the same way and you saw how far I went with it....

I LOVE that barrel! It, in addition to the add-on armor, makes this a really special build, IMO.

Me likee!

This is a really amazing example of what you can achieve with a near out of the box model kit, and really great skill on the paint job. Thank for sharing it!

Thanks all. I thought the 1/48 scale would have been more difficult to work with, but it has a nice "in-between" 1/35 and smaller scales

Edited by BryanKrueger

I love the 1/48 scale. Bigger than my usual 1/72 scale, and you don't feel the need to add all the 1/35 scale bells and whistles. My only wish is that they would do more modern armor. All we have are the HMMWVs and a handful of British armor. Hopefully Airfix will expand their line to add Bradleys and M113s.

Guest PetrolGator

This is awesome. The weathering work is GREAT and really shows how dirtying up in the "old school" way is JUST as good (if not better) than pre-made pigments. I freaking love the rust.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Petrol - Not sure what I did is "old school". I used plenty of pre-made stuff. SIN Filters, MIG Pigments, AK Enamels

Thanks Jim..

• 3 weeks later...