Franz Stigler BF 109F in progress.

wdedig

Started this a few weeks ago and have been traveling to much

A few progress notes

Added a hinge (Stretched sprue on the front engine panel center line, highlighted some panels, added resin Interior (was dumb the kit interior was just fine.Stupid AMS)

Airfix109F.jpg

Enhanced the Trop filter with some mesh and pre-shaded the piano hinge on topAirfix109FTropFilter.jpg

Did some corrections on the cooler scoop on the bottom, Painted the white parts,Nose,fuselage band,Wing tips, and painted Yellow lower panel.

Time to post and allow drying.

Airfix109FYellowpanel.jpg

• Like 1

AHigherCall003_zps00ec16be.jpg Has anyone read the book about Franz Stigler and Charles Brown, a World War II B-17 pilot, called "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos? Anyone interested in an unusual World War II aerial encounter between Stigler's Me-109 and Brown's B-17F should read this book. It is very interesting! Best,

Mark

Edited by aAzZ09

Greetings Guys

The book is my reason for this build . Great read and super story. The African aircraft photo in the book is the guide for my build.

This is the older Airfix BF 109F. Good Shape and fairly easy construction.

Gil

I will have to say there have been some "consultations" with Mr Numerick regarding this build. I wish I could blame him for the mistakes along the way ,but those are mine alone. Barry has given me some great input on the 109F aircraft.

I'm glad that you've read the book, Bill. Your Me-109 is looking good! I'm building an old Monogram 1/48" scale F-86 Sabre right now and plan to use some markings from the Colorado Air National Guard, in particular, the "Minutemen" an aerial demonstration team from the mid-1950s. Best,

Mark

Yes. I plan to use them soon thanks to an old modeler friend of mine from IPMS North Central Texas. Best,

Mark

Mark

Are those the decals from Last Years Nats?

Guest PetrolGator

I'm not a big aircraft guy, but I WILL be following this book. "A Higher Call" is one of the best WWII-era books I've read.

As a note: The encounter between Franz Stigler and Charles Brown is only a small portion of this book. The book covers Mr Stigler's early life, interest in aviation, and even follows through to the end of the war. There's a wealth of information about Me-262 squadrons and how the aircraft were (poorly) maintained.

I have a soft spot for that old Airfix 109F, having built it back when it first came out. Seems they were on the right track way back then, and have only recently returned to that track!

GIL :smiley16:

As I am traveling, my workbench is gathering dust. I have gone through all the necessary build steps(in my head) just need to get to basement.

Cheers

Bill

Greetings

Finally off the road and got some painting done.

These are Gunze colors ,but Instead of Future clear I went with the Testors rattle can Gloss Lacquer Clear. "Wet Look" is what it is titled and I sprayed right from can. I have had issues in the past with Future and Gunze and I wanted to find an option.

I am very happy with this clear coating.

P1140439.jpg

Broke up the RLM 79 with a few drops of white

P1140437.jpg

She sure is shinny. Now I have to keep my hands off for a day and let her dry/cure

P1140436.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Bill

• Like 1