Panzer IV J build finished

DennisTennant

Here's my 1:48 Tamiya PzIV J build finished as a Bulgarian vehicle in the post-war years (1946). I added the Eduard zimmerit set on the hull and added my own zimmerit using Apoxie to the turret. An aftermarket main gun and muzzle brake and various bits of brass and photo etch rounded out this build. I've been working on this project for almost two years.

13705293295_a56d409ac4_c.jpg

13705295223_52be0b177d_c.jpg

13705289405_84af528d2b_c.jpg

Mr. Ford: I was going for a "just okay" project this time. The bent antenna fell off in transit and is being retrieved by the figure who isn't on the base anymore....Make sense?

Mark A.: Thanks! I'm trying to work my way through all the 1:48 projects on my workbench....

Chris: I did it with Apoxie putty. I roughed the turret with sandpaper, then applied a thin coat to the surface. I let it dry for 30 minutes or so and worked in the zimmerit pattern over the next 60 minutes or so. Apoxie's great in that you have HOURS to get the pattern right before it cures rock hard.

I saw your M-48 in Fredericksburg last weekend. Loved the build and the way you nailed the color and details...it was a dead ringer for the one in Patton!

d

Dennis,

Apoxie putty! I have never used this stuff but as you and others say it is great. I have a project on the bench that needs zimmerit, I think that I will order some and use it on it. Thanks for the feedback.

And thanks for the enjoying my M48 build. I had a lot of fun building that one.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

Chris,

A couple more Apoxie tricks...water and baby powder keeps it from sticking. I used the powder like flour in baking as I rolled out the "dough" before putting it on the model. A quick brushfull of water will take the powder away and allow sticking to commence. I also use a wet finger to smooth things a bit if the layer is too thick. Put a surgical glove on your hand to keep from putting fingerprints on your layer of putty. Practice on an cheap airplane kit (or some other model that's not important to you) before committing to your current project.

Remember, don't rush, it takes a while for the putty to cure rock hard.

d

Zglossip: Mark and I are buddies. Don't mistake his gibes as the irrational rants from a crazy hermit in the northwest (which, of course, he is). He's just sharing an inside joke with me. I appreciate your kind words about my latest project. Mark is one of many in IPMS who have freely shared their encouragement and opinions with me through the years. They've helped my work improve immensely.

Thanks Dennis for the tip. Sounds like working with two part epoxy putty from millput, will a lot longer working time. I think that is the real benifit here.

Chris...and it's quite a bit cheaper.

Check out their groundwork product Clayshay. I use it and love it.

Chris...and it's quite a bit cheaper.

Check out their groundwork product Clayshay. I use it and love it.

I will Thanks again you have been a great help.

Thanks Rob, Gil.

The rear storage bin is the kit part with some scratch built additions (unseen between the bin and the turret) and photo-etch latches. I had several Eduard sets but ended up picking and choosing between them.