Nationals Themed Group Build 1: The Great War

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Biplanes. Dreadnoughts. TANKS. World War I saw one of the greatest explosion of weapon technology ever. For this group build, anything is fair game, so long as it participated in World War I.

This build will begin the first weekend of January (the 4th) to give people time to get home from the holidays, sober up, and relax.

Respond to this message if you want to participate.

Rules:

• Model must have been used during WWI. Example: The Admiral-class HMS Hood would not qualify as she was completed after the war.
  • Model cannot commence earlier than January 4th, 2014 to be considered eligible.
  • Participant must be a registered member of this forum.
  • Some in progress photos are necessary both to establish credibility of your participation and for others to learn how you do what you do.
  • Build will end April 4, 2014. I know some of us build SLOWLY and I want you to have a chance to finish your item.
  • Duke Rule: You may build more than one. :smiley16:

When this is done, we'll put up all the completed models to a poll. Whoever wins will get...something. I'm working on that.

Participants:

• Brews (Bruce Grayson) - CMR 1:72 BE2c
  • PetrolGator (Christopher Martens) - 1/700 Combrig HMS Tiger
  • ChuckWise - Wingnut Wings Pfalz D-IIIa
  • Mark Deliduka - 1/72 scale Mk IV AND German torpedo boat
  • Dennis Tennant - 1/48 Eduard Bristol F2b fighter
  • Gil Hodges - Roden 1/48 Nieuport 28
  • Ron Bell - Airfix 1/72 SPAD
  • Kenny Loup - Trumpeter's 1/700 WWI HMS Warspite
  • TheDude (Brian Peck) - Something Wingnut
  • John Ratzenberger - Panzershop 1/35 British 6" BL Howitzer
  • Clare Wentzel - TBA
  • Tony Partlow
  • Dick Montgomery

I'll be in on this. What to do, though. Lots of choices, from HMS Dreadnought to Wingnut Wingz planes and Emhar tanks.

Maybe I should start with something from 1914 ... a BE-2 or something like that.

Don't Forget! Don't have to use the archaic EMHAR vehicles.....RPM has the FT-17 series in 1/72, Meng has it in 1/35 and Tokum in 1/16!!!!

Kenny,

Don't know you're plans for the Warspite, but give some thought to the Artwox wood deck. It's not hard to apply, fits like a dream and actually makes painting easier as you paint everything Extra Dark Sea Gray and then add the deck over it all. Looks great as well.

I've been pondering all sorts of things. I don't want to tackle the Dreadnought until I get something simpler under my belt. The last thing I need is an non-completed GB subject.

Starting with 1914, then, I'm leaning towards either a CMR 1:72 BE2c or (if I can find it!) an Eduard 1:48 Sopwith Baby. Let's leave it at BE2c for the time being.

Guest PetrolGator

Added. Mark, I added a special rule just for you! :smiley14:

I'm going to have to drag my feet a bit on my own build. FreeTime is closed until January 3rd and the PE set I need won't be here until that following week. There's some clean up I need to do on the resin, so I guess I'll focus on that. I also have a 1/350 Dreadnought, 1915 coming today. I MIGHT play with that one, assuming I can find PE for it.

Thanks Chris! I'm glad to see that new rule. On the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums we had a Softskins Group Build and I managed to complete six models for that one!

Don't worry; I'll stick with just two for this one.

Guest PetrolGator

Mark, build 'em as you find 'em! I might work on a SMS Seydlitz or HMS Dreadnought if I happen to finish the HMS Tiger. Who knows. I want to put a LOT of effort into that battlecruiser, though.

Well....isn't Duke special! :P

I might just take advantage of that rule....I found a great looking Albatross DIII that I'd like to build, and I do have an old Glencoe kit.....so as long as I don't get too hung up building the Nieuport 28, I'll try to build the Albatross too! :smiley2:

GIL :smiley16:

Well....isn't Duke special! :P

I might just take advantage of that rule....I found a great looking Albatross DIII that I'd like to build, and I do have an old Glencoe kit.....so as long as I don't get too hung up building the Nieuport 28, I'll try to build the Albatross too! :smiley2:

GIL :smiley16:

Go for it Gil! I wanna see both of them. :smiley20: And, no; I ain't so special :blush: .... just prolific.... :smiley2: :P

Guest PetrolGator

We have less than a week until this project starts. If you want to build more than one, fire away. I may throw in with my 1/350 HMS Dreadnought, 1915 if I can get the photo etch for her.

Kenny,

Don't know you're plans for the Warspite, but give some thought to the Artwox wood deck. It's not hard to apply, fits like a dream and actually makes painting easier as you paint everything Extra Dark Sea Gray and then add the deck over it all. Looks great as well.

That's the plan Ron. :smiley16: